Subscribe to RSS
Transnasal Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (T-PEG): An Alternative Approach to Conventional PEG Placement
Transnasal percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (T-PEG) is a novel endoscopic intervention for enteral nutrition. Peroral endoscopic gastrostomy is widely performed feeding procedure. However, it cannot be done in 4 to 7% of cases with head & neck malignancies. T-PEG is a safe and viable alternative procedure in those patients. T-PEG can be performed in patients with head and neck malignancies, malignant oropharyngeal obstruction, and trismus where oral endoscopy is not feasible.
16 August 2021 (online)
© 2021. Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy of India. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Zuercher BF, Grosjean P, Monnier P. Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy in head and neck cancer patients: indications, techniques, complications and results. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2011; 268 (04) 623-629
- 2 Counihan T, Napolitano LM, Heard SO. Transnasal insertion of percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy in a patient with intermaxillary fixation: case report. J Trauma 1996; 41 (03) 530-532
- 3 Lee HS, Lim CH, Park EY. et al. Usefulness of the introducer method for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy using ultrathin transnasal endoscopy. Surg Endosc 2014; 28 (02) 603-606
- 4 Lin LF. Transnasal versus conventional peroral insertion of percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy using pull method. Adv Dig Med 2016; 30: 56-60
- 5 Nevah MI, Lamberth JR, Dekovich AA. Transnasal PEG tube placement in patients with head and neck cancer. Gastrointest Endosc 2014; 79 (04) 599-604