Subscribe to RSS
Taxonomy of Pathogen Codetection in Pediatric Case Fatalities with Adenoviral Respiratory InfectionFunding None.
Objective The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence and taxonomy of pathogen codetection in pediatric case fatalities associated with adenoviral respiratory infection.
Methods This retrospective case series included 107 pediatric case fatalities associated with adenoviral respiratory infection.
Results We observed a high rate of pathogen codetection with broad diversity from both respiratory and nonrespiratory sources. We noted differences in codetection characteristics based on immune status; most notably that immunocompromised cases were more likely to have bacteremia and adenoviremia.
Conclusions In pediatric case fatalities associated with adenoviral respiratory infection, we observed a high degree of pathogen codetection.
Study coordination and all data analyses were performed at the University of Virginia.
Received: 05 December 2020
Accepted: 17 April 2021
16 July 2021 (online)
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Pavia AT. Viral infections of the lower respiratory tract: old viruses, new viruses, and the role of diagnosis. Clin Infect Dis 2011; 52 (Suppl. 04) S284-S289
- 2 Spaeder MC. Severe adenoviral respiratory infection in children. Intensive Care Med 2013; 39 (06) 1157-1158
- 3 Lai CY, Lee CJ, Lu CY. et al; Taiwan Pediatric Infectious Disease Alliance. Adenovirus serotype 3 and 7 infection with acute respiratory failure in children in Taiwan, 2010-2011. PLoS One 2013; 8 (01) e53614
- 4 Tylka JC, McCrory MC, Gertz SJ, Custer JW, Spaeder MC. Immunocompromised children with severe adenoviral respiratory infection. Crit Care Res Pract 2016; 2016: 9458230
- 5 Spaeder MC, Stewart C, Sharron MP. et al. Adenoviral respiratory infection-associated mortality in children: a retrospective case series. J Pediatr Intensive Care 2020; DOI: 10.1055/s-0040-1718868.
- 6 Chertow DS, Memoli MJ. Bacterial coinfection in influenza: a grand rounds review. JAMA 2013; 309 (03) 275-282
- 7 Rehder KJ, Wilson EA, Zimmerman KO, Cunningham CK, Turner DA. Detection of multiple respiratory viruses associated with mortality and severity of illness in children. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2015; 16 (07) e201-e206
- 8 Peebles PJ, Dhara R, Brammer L, Fry AM, Finelli L. Influenza-associated mortality among children - United States: 2007-2008. Influenza Other Respir Viruses 2011; 5 (01) 25-31
- 9 Scheltema NM, Gentile A, Lucion F. et al; PERCH Study Group. Global respiratory syncytial virus-associated mortality in young children (RSV GOLD): a retrospective case series. Lancet Glob Health 2017; 5 (10) e984-e991
- 10 Weiss SL, Fitzgerald JC, Pappachan J. et al; Sepsis Prevalence, Outcomes, and Therapies (SPROUT) Study Investigators and Pediatric Acute Lung Injury and Sepsis Investigators (PALISI) Network. Global epidemiology of pediatric severe sepsis: the sepsis prevalence, outcomes, and therapies study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2015; 191 (10) 1147-1157