Subscribe to RSS
Clinicoradiological Features and Treatment Outcome of Supratentorial Intraparenchymal Epidermoid Cyst: A Report of Five Cases and Literature ReviewFunding None.
Objectives Intraparenchymal epidermoid cysts (IECs) are rare lesions. They represent less than 1% of the intracranial epidermoid cysts. The supratentorial IEC is a clinically and prognostically distinct subset. Given the rarity, most of the articles are case reports. We present a series of five cases of supratentorial IEC to characterize their clinical presentation and outcome, with emphasis on the surgical features.
Materials and Methods We searched our database for all cases of intracranial epidermoid cysts operated between January 2005 and January 2020. Five patients were identified having IEC from the hospital information system and the neurosurgical operation record book. Standard craniotomy and decompression of the lesion were performed in all these patients. Standard postoperative care includes computed tomography scan of head on the day of surgery and magnetic resonance imaging of brain after 6 weeks to look for the residual lesion, if any. Subsequent follow-up visits in outpatient department to look for resolution of the presurgical symptoms.
Results The mean age of the patients in our series was 28.8 years (range: 28–40 years.). All the five patients were male. Four patients had IEC involving frontal lobe and one in parietal lobe with a small occipital lobe extension. Seizure was the most common presenting complaint followed by headache. Complete excision was achieved in all the cases. All the three patients with seizure attained seizure freedom postlesionectomy. Focal neurological deficits resolved gradually in postoperative period. There was no recurrence of lesion during follow-up.
Conclusion Supratentorial IEC most commonly affects young males, involve frontal lobe and present clinically with seizure. Complete surgical excision offers best outcome in the form of remission of seizure disorder.
11 May 2021 (online)
© 2021. Association for Helping Neurosurgical Sick People. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/.)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Yamakawa K, Shitara N, Genka S, Manaka S, Takakura K. Clinical course and surgical prognosis of 33 cases of intracranial epidermoid tumors. Neurosurgery 1989; 24 (04) 568-573
- 2 Ahmed I, Auguste KI, Vachhrajani S, Dirks PB, Drake JM, Rutka JT. Neurosurgical management of intracranial epidermoid tumors in children. Clinical article. J Neurosurg Pediatr 2009; 4 (02) 91-96
- 3 Akahoshi M, Yanaka K, Watanabe D. et al. Atypical chronological changes on neuroimaging in the epidermoid in the frontal lobe with intracystic hemorrhage and tumor growth: case report. Radiol Case Rep 2018; 13 (06) 1133-1136
- 4 Aribandi M, Wilson NJ. CT and MR imaging features of intracerebral epidermoid–a rare lesion. Br J Radiol 2008; 81 (963) e97-e99
- 5 Berhouma M, Bahri K, Jemel H, Khaldi M. Intracerebral epidermoid tumor: pathogenesis of intraparenchymal location and magnetic resonance imaging findings. J Neuroradiol 2006; 33 (04) 269-270
- 6 Chandler WF, Farhat SM, Pauli FJ. Intrathalamic epidermoid tumor. Case report. J Neurosurg 1975; 43 (05) 614-617
- 7 Clark WC, Woodall W, Nicoll JA, Coakham HB. Intracerebral epithelial cyst: immunohistological diagnosis and endoneurosurgical treatment. Br J Neurosurg 1989; 3 (04) 507-512
- 8 Diyora B, Nayak N, Kale D, Kamble H, Sharma A. Frontal intraparenchymal “white epidermoid cyst”: a rare occurrence. J Neurosci Rural Pract 2010; 1 (02) 125-127
- 9 Fawcitt RA, Isherwood I. Radiodiagnosis of intracranial pearly tumours with particular reference to the value of computer tomography. Neuroradiology 1976; 11 (05) 235-242
- 10 Fox BD, Smitherman SM, Amhaz H. et al. A supratentorial, hemorrhagic, intraparenchymal epidermoid cyst. J Clin Neurosci 2009; 16 (08) 1101-1105
- 11 Hanft SJ, Komotar RJ, Raper DM, Sisti MB, McKhann GM II. Epidermoid tumors of the temporal lobe as epileptogenic foci J Clin Neurosci 2011; 18 (10) 1396-1399
- 12 Hu XY, Hu CH, Fang XM, Cui L, Zhang QH. Intraparenchymal epidermoid cysts in the brain: diagnostic value of MR diffusion-weighted imaging. Clin Radiol 2008; 63 (07) 813-818
- 13 Iaconetta G, Carvalho GA, Vorkapic P, Samii M. Intracerebral epidermoid tumor: a case report and review of the literature. Surg Neurol 2001; 55 (04) 218-222
- 14 Kaido T, Okazaki A, Kurokawa S, Tsukamoto M. Pathogenesis of intraparenchymal epidermoid cyst in the brain: a case report and review of the literature. Surg Neurol 2003; 59 (03) 211-216
- 15 Kannan S, Kumar AS, Syamala S. A rare case of pediatric intraparenchymal epidermoid cyst: case report and review of literature. J Pediatr Neurosci 2018; 13 (01) 96-99
- 16 von CS Koch, Young G, Chin CT, Lawton MT. Magnetic resonance imaging/spectroscopy of an intraaxial epidermoid: similarity to an abscess. Case illustration. J Neurosurg 2002; 97 (02) 492-492
- 17 Lian K, Schwartz ML, Bilbao J, Perry J, Aviv RI, Symons SP. Rare frontal lobe intraparenchymal epidermoid cyst with atypical imaging. J Clin Neurosci 2012; 19 (08) 1185-1187
- 18 de Macêdo Filho LJM, Aguiar GCM, Pessoa FC. et al. Intraparenchymal epidermoid cyst close to Broca area-awake craniotomy and gross total resection. World Neurosurg 2020; 141: 367-372
- 19 Mohanty S, Bhattacharya RN, Tandon SC, Shukla PK. Intracerebral cystic epidermoid. Report of two cases. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 1981; 57 (01/02) 107-113
- 20 Nagaraj N, Bysani P, Dutta S, Nagesh S, Nandeesh B, Pai B. Rare case of atypical intraparenchymal epidermoid cyst. J Curr Res Sci Med 2018; 4 (01) 68
- 21 Puranik A, Sankhe S, Goel N, Mahore A. Cerebral shading sign in a giant intraparenchymal white epidermoid. Neurol India 2012; 60 (02) 265-266
- 22 Sener RN. Intraparenchymal epidermoid tumor of the brain. Eur Radiol 2005; 15 (04) 838-839
- 23 Yan PX, Yu CJ. Minicraniotomy treatment of an intracerebral epidermoid cyst. Minim Invasive Neurosurg 2004; 47 (04) 245-248
- 24 Zheng J, Wang C, Liu F. Intraparenchymal epidermoid cyst: proper surgical management may lead to satisfactory outcome. J Neurooncol 2018; 138 (03) 591-599
- 25 Chambers AA, Lukin RR, Tomsick TA. Cranial epidermoid tumors: diagnosis by computed tomography. Neurosurgery 1977; 1 (03) 276-280
- 26 Rengachary S, Kishore PR, Watanabe I. Intradiploic epidermoid cyst of the occipital bone with torcular obstruction. Case report. J Neurosurg 1978; 48 (03) 475-478
- 27 Chen C-Y, Wong J-S, Hsieh S-C, Chu J-S, Chan WP. Intracranial epidermoid cyst with hemorrhage: MR imaging findings. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2006; 27 (02) 427-429
- 28 Inoue Y, Ohata K, Nakayama K, Haba T, Shakudo M. An unusual middle fossa interdural epidermoid tumor. Case report. J Neurosurg 2001; 95 (05) 902-904
- 29 Andica C, Hori M, Kamiya K. et al. Spatial restriction within intracranial epidermoid cysts observed using short diffusion-time diffusion-weighted imaging. Magn Reson Med Sci 2018; 17 (03) 269-272
- 30 Johnston F, Crockard H. Dermoid, epidermoid and neurenteric cysts. Brain Tumors 1995; xx: 895-905
- 31 Abramson RC, Morawetz RB, Schlitt M. Multiple complications from an intracranial epidermoid cyst: case report and literature review. Neurosurgery 1989; 24 (04) 574-578
- 32 Patibandla MR, Yerramneni VK, Mudumba VS, Manisha N, Addagada GC. Brainstem epidermoid cyst: an update. Asian J Neurosurg 2016; 11 (03) 194-200
- 33 Leal O, Miles J. Epidermoid cyst in the brain stem. Case report. J Neurosurg 1978; 48 (05) 811-813
- 34 Sari A, Ozdemir O, Kosucu P, Ahmetoglu A. Intra-axial epidermoid cysts of the brainstem. J Neuroradiol 2005; 32 (04) 283-284