Meeting the Challenge of COVID-19 Pandemic in Mental Health Care in a Tertiary-Care General Hospital in India
Medical profession has proved its versatility in the adoption of many strategies to deal with the impact of COVID-19. All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi, India is a large public funded medical school and general hospital in North India. Psychiatry department is one of the 42 departments at AIIMS. COVID-19 has impacted all the functions of the department: clinical care, teaching and training, research and other roles. In this communication, we report the strategies, simple yet effective improvisations to meet the challenges of COVID-19 so as to continue the basic functions of the discipline. This could serve as a model for continued functioning of a tertiary care teaching medical facility in a pandemic situation.
09. Juni 2021 (online)
© 2021. National Academy of Medical Sciences (India). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. Government of India. COVID 19 India. Available at: https://www.mohfw.gov.in/. Accessed June 25, 2020
- 2 All India Institute of Medical Sciences. 63rd Annual Report 2018–2019. Available at: https://www.aiims.edu/images/pdf/annual_reports/annual%20report19-e-20-1-20.pdf. Accessed June 4, 2020
- 3 Medical Council of India. List of college teaching MBBS. Available at: https://www.mciindia.org/CMS/information-desk/for-students-to-study-in-india/list-of-college-teaching-mbbs. Accessed July 29, 2020
- 4 Medical Council of India. Minimum standard requirements for the medical college. Available at: https://www.mciindia.org/documents/informationDesk/STANDARD-FOR-250.pdf. Accessed July 29, 2020
- 5 Telemedicine practice guidelines. Enabling registered medical practitioners to provide healthcare using telemedicine. Available at: https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/Telemedicine.pdf. Accessed June 10, 2020
- 6 AIIMS Saral (Student Advanced Resources and Learning Platform). Available at: https://saral.aiims.edu/. Accessed June 3, 2020
- 7 World Health Organization. How to cope with stress during 2019-nCoV outbreak. Available at: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public. Accessed June 7, 2020
- 8 AIIMS Covid Portal. Available at: https://covid.aiims.edu/information-for-public/. Accessed June 3, 2020