Subscribe to RSS
Rescue Thrombectomy for Early Hepatic Artery Thrombosis Using Stent Retriever in a Child Post Combined Deceased Donor Liver and Renal Transplant
We report this case of a 5-year-old child post combined liver and renal transplant for primary hyperoxaluria. Patient developed hepatic artery thrombosis on day 3 posttransplant that was managed by reexploration and reanastomosis of the hepatic artery. On day 4, the patient again developed hepatic artery thrombosis that failed to revascularize by surgical exploration and reanastomosis. Tissue plasminogen activator was injected into the hepatic artery intraoperatively to lyse any clot; however, no revascularization could be achieved. Subsequently, catheter angiogram confirmed no flow in the hepatic artery. A4 × 22 mm revive stent retriever was deployed across the site of occlusion and retrieved after 5 minutes of indwell time. Two such passes were made and complete recanalization of the hepatic artery was achieved. The hepatic artery remained patent as confirmed on serial Doppler images post intervention.
Keywordscombined deceased donor liver and renal transplant - hepatic artery thrombosis - stent retriever - mechanical thrombectomy
29 April 2021 (online)
© 2021. Indian Society of Vascular and Interventional Radiology. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Stange BJ, Glanemann M, Nuessler NC, Settmacher U, Steinmüller T, Neuhaus P. Hepatic artery thrombosis after adult liver transplantation. Liver Transpl 2003; 9 (06) 612-620
- 2 El-Ella KA, Al Sebayel M, Ramirez C, Hussien R. Outcome and risk factors of hepatic artery thrombosis after orthotopic liver transplantation in adults. In: Transplantation Proceedings. Transplant Proc 2001. 2712.
- 3 Pastacaldi S, Teixeira R, Montalto P, Rolles K, Burroughs AK. Hepatic artery thrombosis after orthotopic liver transplantation: a review of nonsurgical causes. Liver Transpl 2001; 7 (02) 75-81
- 4 Del Gaudio M, Grazi GL, Ercolani G. et al. Outcome of hepatic artery reconstruction in liver transplantation with an iliac arterial interposition graft. Clin Transplant 2005; 19 (03) 399-405
- 5 Gunsar F, Rolando N, Pastacaldi S. et al. Late hepatic artery thrombosis after orthotopic liver transplantation. Liver Transpl 2003; 9 (06) 605-611
- 6 Abdelaziz O, Hosny K, Amin A, Emadeldin S, Uemoto S, Mostafa M. Endovascular management of early hepatic artery thrombosis after living donor liver transplantation. Transpl Int 2012; 25 (08) 847-856