Subscribe to RSS
Spontaneous Retroperitoneal Hematoma in COVID-19 Severe Pneumonia–Dual-phase Multidetector Computed Tomography (MDCT) Angiogram and Role of RadiologistSource of Funding Nil.
Studies available in the literature have shown alterations in blood coagulation tests in severe cases of COVID-19 pneumonia, with a significant risk of venous thromboembolism (VTE). Since microvascular thrombosis is a well-known fact in COVID-19 disease, requiring therapeutic anticoagulation, low-molecular weight heparin (LMWH) in prophylactic dose is a part of the clinical management of hospitalized COVID-19 patients. In this scenario, we describe three cases of abdominal spontaneous retroperitoneal hematoma (SRH) in hospitalized reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)-confirmed COVID-19 patients.
KeywordsSpontaneous retroperitoneal hematoma (SRH) - Low-molecular weight heparin (LMWH) - Coronavirus disease 19 (COVID-19)
14 June 2021 (online)
© 2021. Indian Society of Vascular and Interventional Radiology. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Xiong M, Liang X, Wei Y-D. Changes in blood coagulation in patients with severe coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19): a meta-analysis. Br J Haematol 2020; 89 (06) 1050-1052
- 2 Chung KT. Intra-abdominal hematoma following enoxaparin injection. Clin Med Insights Case Rep 2016; 9: 35-38
- 3 Jang JY, Lim YS, Woo JH, Jang JH. Spontaneous rupture of intercostal artery after severe cough. Am J Emerg Med 2015; 3 3 (01) 131.e1-131.e3
- 4 Yam LY, Chen RC, Zhong NS. SARS: ventilatory and intensive care. Respirology 2003; (08) S31-S35
- 5 Zhang J, He X, Hu J, Li T. Retroperitoneal hemorrhage during veno-venous extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in COVID-19 Patients: clinical experience and review of literature. Research Square. 2020 (e-pub ahead of print). Doi: DOI: 10.21203/rs.3.rs-32685/v1