Subscribe to RSS
Covid-19 and Orthopedic Surgery: Review of the Literature and EvidenceArticle in several languages: español | English
A pandemic has been declared due to a new highly contagious virus called severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV2). The world has come to a halt due to the rapid expansion of this virus, whose lethality has reached 15% in some countries. In Chile, the government has taken decisive, aggressive measures in an attempt to control disease spread and provide healthcare to those who need it. These decisions include the suspension of elective surgeries and other ambulatorial procedures. As orthopedic surgeons, we have been affected by these measures, and there is doubt regarding the best course of action. We prepared this guide to summarize available evidence and orient our colleagues regarding this condition. This guide is meant to be dynamic, as new opinions, evidence and experiences arise every day. Therefore, we advise the reader to keep it as a reference, not an undisputable truth.
The present aerticle was approved by all subscribed authors:
Karen Weissmann: study conception, manuscript draft, revision, and approval of the final version for publication.
Carlos Huaiquilaf: manuscript draft, revision, and approval of the final version for publication.
Marcelo Costa: manuscript draft, revision, and approval of the final version for publication.
Cristian Correa: manuscript draft, revision, and approval of the final version for publication.
Alan Bey: manuscript draft.
Luis Bahamondes: manuscript draft, revision, and approval of the final version for publication.
Received: 27 April 2020
Accepted: 21 January 2021
02 June 2021 (online)
© 2021. Sociedad Chilena de Ortopedia y Traumatologia. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commecial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Thieme Revinter Publicações Ltda.
Rua do Matoso 170, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, CEP 20270-135, Brazil
- 1 Vannabouathong CDT, Ekhtiari S, Chang Y. et al. The Orthopedic Forum. Novel Coronavirus Covid-19: Current evidence and Evolving Strategies. JBJS. 2020. Express;
- 2 Chanqueo LHJ, Legarraga P, Moreno V. et al. DIAGNÓSTICO MICROBIOLÓGICO DE SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) v1.0 In: Sochinf. CdMC-S, editor. http://www.sochinf.cl/portal/templates/sochinf2008/documentos/2020/Diagnostico_de_laboratorio_COVID19_SOCHINF.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0P4LXUJ8nHAKM-oo9xmR6oepXhl59XSFlQWd-WPip3A_lk2ffZao4TcWE2020
- 3 Lv H, Yin P, Long A. et al. Clinical characteristics and risk factors of postoperative pneumonia after hip fracture surgery: a prospective cohort study. Osteoporos Int 2016; 27 (10) 3001-3009
- 4 Mi B, Chen L, Xiong Y, Xue H, Zhou W, Liu G. Characteristics and Early Prognosis of COVID-19 Infection in Fracture Patients. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2020; 102 (09) 750-758
- 5 Chang Liang Z, Wang W, Murphy D, Po Hui JH. Novel Coronavirus and Orthopaedic Surgery: Early Experiences from Singapore. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2020; 102 (09) 745-749
- 6 Guo X, Wang J, Hu D. et al. Survey of COVID-19 Disease Among Orthopaedic Surgeons in Wuhan, People's Republic of China. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2020; 102 (10) 847-854
- 7 Chen G, Wu D, Guo W. et al. Clinical and immunologic features in severe and moderate forms of Coronavirus Disease 2019. Medrxiv 2020
- 8 COVIDSurg C. Global guidance for surgical care during the COVID-19 pandemic. Br J Surg 2020; 107 (09) 1097-1103
- 9 Pahys JSP, Bas T, Brayda SD. et al. SRS Covid-19 Webinar. Scolisois Res Soc 2020
- 10 Mary B, Gawande A. Managing COVID-19 in Surgical Systems. Ann Surg 2020
- 11 Li G, Fan Y, Lai Y. et al. Coronavirus infections and immune responses. J Med Virol 2020; 92 (04) 424-432
- 12 Zhang C, Shi L, Wang FS. Liver injury in COVID-19: management and challenges. Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol 2020; 5 (05) 428-430
- 13 ciujanos A. RECOMENDACIONES GENERALES DE ATENCION DE LA PATOLOGIA QUIRURGICA URGENTE EN EL CONTEXTO DE LA PANDEMIA POR COVID-19 (SARS COV-2): www.aecirujanos.es 2020
- 14 Management of patients with urgent orthopaedic conditions and trauma during the coronavirus pandemic. 2020
- 15 Abdelaziz MH, Abdelwahab SF, Wan J. et al. Alternatively activated macrophages; a double-edged sword in allergic asthma. J Transl Med 2020; 18 (01) 58
- 16 Farrell S, Schaeffer EK, Mulpuri K. Recommendations for the Care of Pediatric Orthopaedic Patients During the COVID-19 Pandemic. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2020; 28 (11) e477-e486
- 17 Chen Z, Li Y, Wu B, Hou Y, Bao J, Deng X. A Patient with COVID-19 Presenting a False-Negative Reverse Transcriptase Polymerase Chain Reaction Result. Korean J Radiol 2020; 21 (05) 623-624
- 18 Guo L, Ren L, Yang S. et al. Profiling Early Humoral Response to Diagnose Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19). Clin Infect Dis 2020; 71 (15) 778-785
- 19 To KK, Tsang OT, Leung WS. et al. Temporal profiles of viral load in posterior oropharyngeal saliva samples and serum antibody responses during infection by SARS-CoV-2: an observational cohort study. Lancet Infect Dis 2020; 20 (05) 565-574
- 20 Wang J, Du G. COVID-19 may transmit through aerosol. Ir J Med Sci 2020; 189 (04) 1143-1144
- 21 Luo Y, Zhong M. [Standardized diagnosis and treatment of colorectal cancer during the outbreak of corona virus disease 2019 in Renji hospital]. Zhonghua Wei Chang Wai Ke Za Zhi 2020; 23 (03) 211-216
- 22 Ti LK, Ang LS, Foong TW, Ng BSW. What we do when a COVID-19 patient needs an operation: operating room preparation and guidance. Can J Anaesth 2020; 67 (06) 756-758
- 23 COVID-19–Evidence based best practice guidelines specifi to orthopedic surgeons. 2020
- 24 Iacobucci G. Covid-19: Lack of PPE in care homes is risking spread of virus, leaders warn. BMJ 2020; 368: m1280
- 25 Kantor J. Behavioral considerations and impact on personal protective equipment use: Early lessons from the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. J Am Acad Dermatol 2020
- 26 Sorbello M, El-Boghdadly K, Di Giacinto I. et al. The Italian coronavirus disease 2019 outbreak: recommendations from clinical practice. Anaesthesia 2020
- 27 Giorgi PD, Villa F, Gallazzi E. et al. The management of emergency spinal surgery during the COVID-19 pandemic in Italy. Bone Joint J 2020; 102-B (06) 671-676
- 28 Kogan M, Klein SE, Hannon CP, Nolte MT. Orthopaedic Education During the COVID-19 Pandemic. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2020; 28 (11) e456-e464