Subscribe to RSS
Mosaic Pattern of H3 K27M-Mutant Protein Expression in a Diffuse Midline Glioma—A Diagnostic Dilemma for the PathologistFunding None.
Diffuse midline glioma, H3 K27M-mutant, is a World Health Organization (WHO) grade IV glioma arising in pons, thalamus, and spinal cord. They show mutations resulting in replacement of lysine at position 27 by methionine (K27M) of histone genes, H3F3A, HIST1H3B, and HIST1H3C. The H3 K27M mutant protein is identified in tumor tissue by immunohistochemistry. As these mutations are clonal and homogeneous, the mutant protein is normally identified in all tumor cells. Here we report a case of diffuse midline glioma with mosaic pattern of expression of H3 K27M mutant protein and discuss the diagnostic and therapeutic implications of this unusual pattern.
10 May 2021 (online)
© 2021. Association for Helping Neurosurgical Sick People. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/.)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Louis DN, Perry A, Wiestler OD. et al (Eds). WHO Classification of Tumours of the Central Nervous System (Revised 4th edition). Lyon, France: World Health Organization 2016
- 2 Schwartzentruber J, Korshunov A, Liu XY. et al. Driver mutations in histone H3.3 and chromatin remodelling genes in paediatric glioblastoma. Nature 2012; 482 (73/84) 226-231
- 3 Gessi M, Gielen GH, Dreschmann V, Waha A, Pietsch T. High frequency of H3F3A (K27M) mutations characterizes pediatric and adult high-grade gliomas of the spinal cord. Acta Neuropathol 2015; 130 (03) 435-437
- 4 Hoffman LM, DeWire M, Ryall S. et al. Spatial genomic heterogeneity in diffuse intrinsic pontine and midline high-grade glioma: implications for diagnostic biopsy and targeted therapeutics. Acta Neuropathol Commun 2016; 4: 1
- 5 Nikbakht H, Panditharatna E, Mikael LG. et al. Spatial and temporal homogeneity of driver mutations in diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma. Nat Commun 2016; 7: 11185
- 6 Solomon DA, Wood MD, Tihan T. et al. Diffuse midline gliomas with histone H3-K27M mutation: a series of 47 cases assessing the spectrum of morphologic variation and associated genetic alterations. Brain Pathol 2016; 26 (05) 569-580
- 7 Bechet D, Gielen GG, Korshunov A. et al. Specific detection of methionine 27 mutation in histone 3 variants (H3K27M) in fixed tissue from high-grade astrocytomas. Acta Neuropathol 2014; 128 (05) 733-741
- 8 Lopez GY, Oberheim Bush NA, Phillips JJ. et al. Diffuse midline gliomas with subclonal H3F3A K27M mutation and mosaic H3.3 K27M mutant protein expression. Acta Neuropathol 2017; 134 (06) 961-963