Subscribe to RSS
ECG—An Axis Dilemma with Tachycardia
Cardiac arrhythmias are common in acute myocardial infarction (MI), especially in ST elevation MI. Almost 90% of patients develop some form of cardiac arrhythmia in acute MI. Mostly they are benign and transient. Incidence of atrial tachycardia is fairly uncommon in such setting. Most of the arrhythmias disappear after reperfusion. Interpretation of electrocardiograms (ECGs) in emergency becomes even more difficult if there is unusual QRS axis and possibility of arm lead reversal.
09 April 2021 (online)
© 2021. Women in Cardiology and Related Sciences. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Zipes DP, Libby P, Bonow RO, Mann DL, Tomaselli GF, Bhatt D. Chapter 22: Specific arrhythmias: diagnosis and treatment. In: Braunwald Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 5th edition.. A prism Indian edition (volume 1) 1997; 657-58
- 2 Nagabhushana S. Ranjith Kumar GK, Ranganatha M, Virupak-shappa V. Study of arrhythmias in acute myocardial infarction. Int J Med Res Rev 2015; 3 (07) 682-690
- 3 Goodacre S, Irons R. ABC of clinical electrocardiography: atrial arrhythmias. BMJ 2002; 324 (73/37) 594-597
- 4 Goodacre S, Irons R. ABC of clinical electrocardiography: atrial arrhythmias.. BMJ 2002; 324 (73/37) 594-597
- 5 Surawicz B, Knilans T. Chapter 14: Atrial rhythms. In: Chou’s Electrocardiography in Clinical Practice. 6th edition.. Saunders Elsevier 2008; 349-350
- 6 Kantharia BK. Atrial tachycardia treatment and management. Available at: https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/151456-treatment. Accessed November 16 2019
- 7 Nagabhushana S, Ranjith GKkumar, Ranganatha M, Viru pakshappa. Study of arrhythmias in acute myocardial infarction. https://ijmrr.medresearch.in/index.php/ijmrr/article/view/303/592. Accessed July 27. 2015
- 8 Burns E. ECG limb lead reversal. Available at: https://litfl.com/ecg-limb-lead-reversal-ecg-library/. Accessed February 7. 2021
- 9 Tang CW, Scheinman MM, Van GFHare. et al. Use of p wave configuration during atrial tachycardia to predict site of origin. Available at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7594049. Accessed November 1. 1995
- 10 Issa Z, Miller J. Clinical Arrhythmology and Electrophysiology: A Companion to Braunwald Heart Disease. 3rd edition.. Elsevier Saunders 2018; 214-215