Subscribe to RSS
Analysis of Homeopathic Genus Epidemicus for COVID-19 Patients in Spain
Background Homeopathy has had documented success treating epidemics in the last two centuries. We aimed to obtain a clear homeopathic clinical picture of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) and postulate the genus epidemicus of the disease in order to inform and enhance future treatment and prophylaxis options.
Methods We conducted a prospective case series study, collecting data from 19 homeopaths in Catalonia, Spain, from patients who presented with fever and/or cough and/or breathlessness and/or confirmed COVID-19 infection or close contact with a confirmed case. We included 107 patients, and data were recorded through a checklist questionnaire on the day of the case analysis and at day 10–15 after commencing treatment. Symptoms were collected and analyzed with the help of homeopathic repertories.
Results A total of 103 cases were mild or moderate; four were severe. The severe cases were excluded from the analysis and the 103 mild and moderate cases were analyzed and a clear overall clinical picture with mental, general, and particular symptoms was achieved. Eighty-eight cases had a complete recorded follow-up. The most prescribed medicines were Bry, Ars, Phos and Gels, whilst those with the best rates of good response were Sulph, Puls and Bry. Time to full recovery after homeopathic treatment ranged from 3.5 to 14.4 days, depending on the medicine used. The potency 200c was associated with faster rates of full recovery and a lesser need to change remedy.
Conclusion We have defined the symptomatic homeopathic characteristics of mild and moderate COVID-19 in Spain and established a set of medicines that might be useful to consider as effective genus epidemicus.
Received: 13 October 2020
Accepted: 25 January 2021
25 May 2021 (online)
© 2021. Faculty of Homeopathy. This article is published by Thieme.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Diaz JV, Baller A, Banerjee A. et al. Clinical management of COVID-19. WHO 2020. WHO reference number: WHO/2019-nCoV/clinical/2020.5. Accessed September, 2020 at: https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/clinical-management-of-covid-19
- 2 Gonzalez-Carbajal García I. Homeopatía 100 años de historia. Madrid: Federación Española de Médicos Homeópatas (FEMH); 2004: 168
- 3 Nicolai T. Homeopatía para las enfermedades epidémicas en los países en desarrollo. Rev Med Homeopat 2009; 2: 119-126
- 4 Jacobs J. Homeopathic prevention and management of epidemic disease. Homeopathy 2018; 107: 157-160
- 5 Frei H. H1N1 influenza epidemic 2011: experiences with polarity analysis. Spectrum of Homeopathy 2011; 3: 26-37
- 6 Rotter G. Homoeopathy and Epidemics. Possible Approaches—what history can teach us. Graz: Liga Medicorum Homeopathica Internationalis (LMHI) Meeting; 2003
- 7 Van Erp M, Brands M. Homeopathic treatment of malaria in Ghana. Br Homeopath J 1996; 85: 66-70
- 8 Danno K, Rerolle F, de Sigalony S, Colas A, Terzan L, Bordet MF. China rubra for side-effects of quinine: a prospective, randomised study in pregnant women with malaria in Cotonou, Benin. Homeopathy 2014; 103: 165-171
- 9 Bracho G, Varela E, Fernández R. et al. Large-scale application of highly-diluted bacteria for leptospirosis epidemic control. Homeopathy 2010; 99: 156-166
- 10 Golden I, Bracho G. A reevaluation of the effectiveness of homoeoprophylaxis against leptospirosis in Cuba in 2007 and 2008. J Evid Based Complementary Altern Med 2014; 19: 155-160
- 11 Manchanda RK. Dengue epidemic: what can we offer?. Indian J Res Homoeopathy 2015; 9: 137-140
- 12 Nair KRJ, Gopinadhan S, Kurup TNS. et al. Homoeopathic Genus Epidemicus ‘Bryonia alba’ as a prophylactic during an outbreak of Chikungunya in India: a cluster-randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Indian J Res Homoeopathy 2014; 8: 160-165
- 13 Hahnemann S. Organon of Medicine. 6th ed.. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers; 2004: 267
- 14 Kent JT. Lectures on Homeopathic Philosophy. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers; 1977. : Lecture 3
- 15 Schroyens F. Synthesis Treasure Edition 2009V. RadarOpus version 2.1.13
- 16 Zandvoort R. Complete Repertory 2019. MacRepertory, Zeus Soft Company;
- 17 Waisse S, Oberbaum M, Frass M. The Hydra-headed coronaviruses: Implications of COVID-19 for homeopathy. Homeopathy 2020; 109: 169-175
- 18 Kasariyans A, Sankaran R. Homeopathy for coronavirus COVID-19 infection: Dr Aditya Kasariyans and Dr Rajan Sankaran. Accessed March 29, 2020 at: https://facultyofhomeopathy.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Homeopathy-for-Coronavirus-Covid-19-Infection-Dr-Aditya-Kasariyans-and-Dr-Rajan-Sankaran.pdf
- 19 AYUSH. Advisory for Corona virus. Homoeopathy for Prevention of Corona virus Infections. Unani Medicines useful in symptomatic management of Corona Virus infection. Posted on: Jan 29, 2020 by PIB Delhi. Accessed March 12, 2020 at: https://pib.gov.in/PressReleasePage.aspx?PRID=1600895#
- 20 Rossi EG. The experience of an Italian public homeopathy clinic during the COVID-19 Epidemic, March-May 2020. Homeopathy 2020; 109: 167-168
- 21 To KLA, Fok YYY. Homeopathic clinical features of 18 patients in COVID-19 outbreaks in Hong Kong. Homeopathy 2020; 109: 146-162