Subscribe to RSS
Venous Thromboembolism Risk Assessment and Thromboprophylaxis Practice in General Medical Patients Requiring Admissions to General Wards: A Singapore's Perspective
The use of venous thromboembolism (VTE) prophylaxis in medical patients is advocated by major international guidelines.   It is, however, not widely adopted in Singapore based on our observation. We, therefore, conducted a survey to confirm or refute this observation, to identify the obstacles to the implementation of VTE prophylaxis in general medical patients and potential measures to overcome the barriers.
As consultants are the leaders of the care teams and junior doctors' practice is generally influenced by the expectations and practice of senior doctors, we targeted the survey at consultants only.
Article published online:
11 May 2021
© 2021. International College of Angiology. This article is published by Thieme.
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Kahn SR, Lim W, Dunn AS. et al. Prevention of VTE in nonsurgical patients: Antithrombotic Therapy and Prevention of Thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines. Chest 2012; 141 (2, Suppl): e195S-e226S
- 2 National Institute for Health and Care Excellence Venous Thromboembolism in over 16s; reducing the risk of hospital-acquired deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism. NICE guideline [NG89]. London: NICE; 2018. www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng89 . Accessed March 12, 2021
- 3 Schünemann HJ, Cushman M, Burnett AE. et al. American Society of Hematology 2018 guidelines for management of venous thromboembolism: prophylaxis for hospitalized and nonhospitalized medical patients. Blood Adv 2018; 2 (22) 3198-3225
- 4 Samama MM, Cohen AT, Darmon JY. et al; Prophylaxis in Medical Patients with Enoxaparin Study Group. A comparison of enoxaparin with placebo for the prevention of venous thromboembolism in acutely ill medical patients. N Engl J Med 1999; 341 (11) 793-800
- 5 Leizorovicz A, Cohen AT, Turpie AGG, Olsson CG, Vaitkus PT, Goldhaber SZ. PREVENT Medical Thromboprophylaxis Study Group. Randomized, placebo-controlled trial of dalteparin for the prevention of venous thromboembolism in acutely ill medical patients. Circulation 2004; 110 (07) 874-879
- 6 Cohen AT, Davidson BL, Gallus AS, Lassen MR, Prins MH, Tomkowski W, Turpie AG, Egberts JF, Lensing AW. ARTEMIS Investigators. Efficacy and safety of fondaparinux for the prevention of venous thromboembolism in older acute medical patients: randomised placebo controlled trial. BMJ 2006;332(7537):325–329. doi: 10.1136/bmj.38733.466748.7C. Epub 2006 Jan 26. PMID: 16439370; PMCID: PMC1363908
- 7 Chao T-F, Chen SA. Stroke and Bleeding Risk in Asians with Atrial Fibrillation. American College of Cardiology. 2016. https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiology/articles/2016/03/14/07/27/stroke-and-bleeding-risk-in-asians-with-atrial-fibrillation
- 8 Lee LH, Gallus A, Jindal R, Wang C, Wu CC. Incidence of venous thromboembolism in Asian populations: a systematic review. Thromb Haemost 2017; 117 (12) 2243-2260
- 9 Sandler DA, Martin JF. Autopsy proven pulmonary embolism in hospital patients: are we detecting enough deep vein thrombosis?. J R Soc Med 1989; 82 (04) 203-205
- 10 Kakkar VV, Howe CT, Flanc C, Clarke MB. Natural history of postoperative deep-vein thrombosis. Lancet 1969; 2 (7614): 230-232
- 11 Quinlan DJ, Eikelboom JW, Dahl OE, Eriksson BI, Sidhu PS, Hirsh J. Association between asymptomatic deep vein thrombosis detected by venography and symptomatic venous thromboembolism in patients undergoing elective hip or knee surgery. J Thromb Haemost 2007; 5 (07) 1438-1443
- 12 Lloyd NS, Douketis JD, Moinuddin I, Lim W, Crowther MA. Anticoagulant prophylaxis to prevent asymptomatic deep vein thrombosis in hospitalized medical patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Thromb Haemost 2008; 6 (03) 405-414
- 13 ISTH Steering Committee for World Thrombosis Day. Thrombosis: a major contributor to the global disease burden. J Thromb Haemost 2014; 12 (10) 1580-1590
- 14 Liew NC, Alemany GV, Angchaisuksiri P. et al. Asian venous thromboembolism guidelines: updated recommendations for the prevention of venous thromboembolism. Int Angiol 2017; 36 (01) 1-20