Subscribe to RSS
A Fatal and Rare Case of Hydatid Cyst in the Pouch of Douglas
Hydatid cyst is a zoonotic infection and a significant public health problem in low- and middle-income countries. A 79-year-old female patient was presented to the gynecology outpatient department with complaints of pain in the abdomen and difficulty in micturition, with a mass palpable per speculum. The ultrasound was suggestive of an ovarian cystadenocarcinoma, whereas computed tomography of the abdomen favored hydatid cyst with adnexal neoplasm as a differential diagnosis. Considering the contradictory findings, a frozen section was sent to confirm the diagnosis, which showed hooklets of Echinococcus granulosus/hydatid cyst under the microscope. This was a rare case of pelvic hydatid cyst mimicking ovarian malignancy and was associated with a less-preferred mode of investigation (frozen section). This article focuses on how a frozen section, despite its limitations and being expensive, can still be considered for accurate patient management.
19 May 2021 (online)
© 2021. The Indian Association of Laboratory Physicians. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Butt A, Khan JA. Cystic echinococcosis: a 10-year experience from a middle-income country. Trop Doct 2020; 50 (02) 117-121
- 2 Yuksel M, Demirpolat G, Sever A, Bakaris S, Bulbuloglu E, Elmas N. Hydatid disease involving some rare locations in the body: a pictorial essay. Korean J Radiol 2007; 8 (06) 531-540
- 3 Kapatia G, Tom JP, Rohilla M. et al. The clinical and cytomorphological spectrum of hydatid disease. Diagn Cytopathol 2020; 48 (06) 547-553
- 4 Lamps LW.. Liver: non neoplastic diseases.. In: Rosai and Ackerman’s Surgical Pathology. 11th ed.. Philadelphia, PA:: Elsevier; 2018: 726-785
- 5 Perigela HC, Reddy MK, Prasad BV, Narahari J. Giant pelvic hydatid cyst. J Dr NTR Univ Health Sci 2013; 2: 218-221
- 6 Sarkar S, Sanyal P, Das MK, Kumar S, Panja S. Acute urinary retention due to primary pelvic hydatid cyst: a rare case report and literature review. J Clin Diagn Res 2016; 10 (04) PD06-PD08
- 7 Sultana N, Hashim TK, Jan SY, Khan Z, Malik T, Shah W. Primary cervical hydatid cyst: a rare occurrence. Diagn Pathol 2012; 7: 157
- 8 Jarboui S, Hlel A, Daghfous A, Bakkey MA, Sboui I. Unusual location of primary hydatid cyst: soft tissue mass in the supraclavicular region of the neck. Case Rep Med 2012; 2012: 484-638
- 9 Seyedsadeghi M, Ghobadi J, Haghshenas N, Habibzadeh A. Gluteal hydatid cyst: a case report. Iran J Parasitol 2019; 14 (03) 487-491
- 10 Parray FQ, Wani SN, Bazaz S, Khan SU, Malik NS. Primary pelvic hydatid cyst: a case report. Case Rep Surg 2011; 2011: 809-387
- 11 Sharma A, Sengupta P, Mondal S, Raychaudhuri G. Hydatid cyst of ovary mimicking ovarian neoplasm with its imprint cytology. Am J Case Rep 2012; 13: 276-278
- 12 Kumar S, Chandna A, Manoharan V, Parmar KM, Mandal S. Conquering new battlegrounds: successful management of isolated giant retrovesical hydatid cyst with robotic assistance. Asian J Urol 2019; DOI: 10.1016/j.ajur.2019.12.006.
- 13 Bhattacharjee PK, Halder SK, Chakraborty S, Mukerjee A, Singh R. Pelvic hydatid cyst: a rare case report. J Med Sci 2015; 35 (03) 122-124
- 14 Arora BB, Maheshwari M, Devgan N, Arora DR. Hydatid cyst of the ovary: a case report. JMM Case Rep 2015; 2 (04) e000042
- 15 Cattorini L, Trastulli S, Milani D. et al. Ovarian hydatid cyst: a case report. Int J Surg Case Rep 2011; 2 (06) 100-102
- 16 Shahi KS, Bhandari G, Gupta RK, Kashmira M. Pelvic hydatid disease mimicking ovarian cyst. J Med Soc 2015; 29: 177-179
- 17 WHO Informal Working Group on Echinococcosis. Guidelines for treatment of cystic and alveolar echinococcosis in humans. Bull World Health Organ 1996; 74 (03) 231-242
- 18 Mehra BR, Thawait AP, Gupta DO, Narang RR. Giant abdominal hydatid cyst masquerading as ovarian malignancy. Singapore Med J 2007; 48 (11) e284-e286
- 19 Seenu V, Misra MC, Tiwari SC, Jain R, Chandrashekhar C. Primary pelvic hydatid cyst presenting with obstructive uropathy and renal failure. Postgrad Med J 1994; 70 (830) 930-932
- 20 Katsamagkas T, Tsakiridis I, Evaggelinos D, Skafida P, Dagklis T, Kalogiannidis I. Primary ovarian hydatid cyst in a postmenopausal woman: a rare case report. Int J Surg Case Rep 2020; 68: 221-223