An “Occult” Popliteal Vein Aneurysm Causing Pulmonary EmbolismFunding No financial support was available for this research. This research did not receive any specific grant from the funding agencies in the public, commercial, or nonprofit sectors.
Popliteal vein aneurysm (PVAs), though uncommon, can be a cause of pulmonary emboli. They can also result in pulmonary vein embolism despite the use of anticoagulation therapy.
We report the case of an otherwise fit, 64-year-old male who had a history of sudden onset of dyspnea on exercise with near syncope.
A computed tomography pulmonary angiogram confirmed filling defects in the lung bases in keeping with pulmonary emboli. He was anticoagulated and a venous duplex scan revealed a fusiform suprageniculate PVA with no evidence of thrombus in the lumen. He underwent resection of the aneurysm with lateral vein patch graft repair and was placed on anticoagulation for 6 months with no recurrence after 2 years of follow-up.
PVAs are rare and can either be symptomatic or asymptomatic. We advise early surgical treatment to prevent the significant morbidity and mortality associated with thromboembolization.
Written consent was obtained from the patient for publication of case and use of images.
20 April 2021 (online)
© 2021. International College of Angiology. This article is published by Thieme.
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 May R, Nissl R. [Aneurysms of the popliteal vein]. Fortschr Geb Rontgenstr Nuklearmed 1968; 108 (03) 402-403
- 2 Noppeney T, Kopp R, Pfister K, Schierling W, Noppeney J, Cucuruz B. Treatment of popliteal vein aneurysms. J Vasc Surg Venous Lymphat Disord 2019; 7 (04) 535-542
- 3 Labropoulos N, Volteas SK, Giannoukas AD, Touloupakis E, Delis K, Nicolaides AN. Asymptomatic popliteal vein aneurysms. Vasc Surg 1996; 30 (06) 453-457
- 4 Winchester D, Pearce WH, McCarthy WJ, McGee GS, Yao JST. Popliteal venous aneurysms. Surgery 1993; 114 (03) 600-607
- 5 Herrera LJ, Davis JW, Livesay JJ. Popliteal vein aneurysm presenting as a popliteal mass. Tex Heart Inst J 2006; 33 (02) 246-248
- 6 Sessa C, Nicolini P, Perrin M, Farah I, Magne JL, Guidicelli H. Management of symptomatic and asymptomatic popliteal venous aneurysms: a retrospective analysis of 25 patients and review of the literature. J Vasc Surg 2000; 32 (05) 902-912
- 7 Nasr W, Babbitt R, Eslami MH. Popliteal vein aneurysm: a case report and review of literature. Vasc Endovascular Surg 2008
- 8 Aldridge SC, Comerota AJ, Katz ML, Wolk JH, Goldman BI, White JV. Popliteal venous aneurysm: report of two cases and review of the world literature. J Vasc Surg 1993; 18 (04) 708-715
- 9 McDevitt DT, Lohr JM, Martin KD, Welling RE, Sampson MG. Bilateral popliteal vein aneurysms. Ann Vasc Surg 1993; 7 (03) 282-286
- 10 Maleti O, Lugli M, Collura M. Anevrysmes veineux poplites: Experience personnelle: Les anévrysmes veineux de la fosse poplitée (à l'exclusion de la veine saphène externe). Phlebologie 1997; 50 (01) 53-59
- 11 Vine HS, Sequeira JC, Widrich WC, Sacks BA. Portal vein aneurysm. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1979; 132 (04) 557-560
- 12 Cranley J. Venous aneurysms. In: Bergan JJ. ed. Vascular Surgery. II. Peripheral Venous Disease. New York: Harper & Row; 1975: 272-275
- 13 Schatz IJ, Fine G. Venous aneurysms. N Engl J Med 1962; 266: 1310-1312
- 14 Dahl JR, Freed TA, Burke MF. Popliteal vein aneurysm with recurrent pulmonary thromboemboli. JAMA 1976; 236 (22) 2531-2532
- 15 Grice III GD, Smith III RB, Robinson PH, Rheudasil JM. Primary popliteal venous aneurysm with recurrent pulmonary emboli. J Vasc Surg 1990; 12 (03) 316-318
- 16 Chahlaoui J, Julien M, Nadeau P, Bruneau L, Roy P, Sylvestre J. Popliteal venous aneurysm: a source of pulmonary embolism. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1981; 136 (02) 415-416
- 17 Cheatle TR, Perrin M. Primary venous aneurysms of the popliteal fossa. Phlebology 1993
- 18 Carlin RE, Mcgraw DJ, Xenos ES, Villavicencio JL. Popliteal venous aneurysm leading to massive pulmonary embolus in a child: a case report and literature Review. Vasc Endovascular Surg 1997
- 19 Cormier JM, Cormier F, Al Ayoubi A. Anevrismes veineux poplites. J Mal Vasc 1999
- 20 Sarap MD, Wheeler WE. Venous aneurysms. J Vasc Surg 1988; 8 (02) 182-183