Subscribe to RSS
Homeopathic Treatment in Patients with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome: A Case SeriesFunding None.
Background and Objectives Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a common heterogeneous endocrine disorder in women of reproductive age. It is characterized by various clinical presentations such as ovulatory dysfunction, polycystic ovaries, and hyperandrogenism. Considering the side effects associated with conventional treatment and the patients who fail to respond to these measures, there is a demand for a complementary therapy that would alleviate symptoms of PCOS without side effects. Homeopathy is a complementary system of medicine that has been successfully used in different disease conditions, including PCOS. A case series of PCOS is hereby presented, to demonstrate some positive results of individualized homeopathic treatment.
Methods Seven cases of young women with PCOS were treated with individualized homeopathic medicines. Each case was followed up with clinical and ultrasonographic evidence and was reported according to the criteria set out in the HOM-CASE guidelines. The assessment of causal attribution of homeopathic treatment effect was carried out using the Modified Naranjo Criteria.
Results Marked improvement was observed in all seven cases of PCOS. The irregular menstrual cycles and other associated symptoms became normal, along with a resolution of cysts in ovaries as evidenced by ultrasonography. All cases improved within 4 to 12 months of treatment. The Modified Naranjo Criteria total score was +9/13 for each case, which indicates a positive causal attribution of homeopathy in relieving the symptoms of PCOS.
Conclusion This case series suggests a significant role of individualized homeopathic medicines in PCOS by regularizing the menstrual cycle along with the resolution of cysts and associated symptoms.
• An individualized homeopathic medicine may help to resolve cysts in ovaries, as evident in each of these cases, which showed normal ultrasound pattern in both ovaries at the end of the treatment (i.e, within 4–12 months).
• Amenorrhea or oligomenorrhea are symptoms that were common to nearly all cases.
• The most frequently indicated homeopathic medicine was Calcarea carbonica.
Received: 04 July 2020
Accepted: 01 December 2020
12 May 2021 (online)
© 2021. Faculty of Homeopathy. This article is published by Thieme.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Melo AS, Ferriani RA, Navarro PA. Treatment of infertility in women with polycystic ovary syndrome: approach to clinical practice. Clinics (São Paulo) 2015; 70: 765-769
- 2 Stein IF, Leventhal ML. Amenorrhea associated with bilateral polycystic ovaries. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1935; 29: 181-191
- 3 Adams J, Polson DW, Franks S. Prevalence of polycystic ovaries in women with anovulation and idiopathic hirsutism. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1986; 293: 355-359
- 4 Wang S, Alvero R. Racial and ethnic differences in physiology and clinical symptoms of polycystic ovary syndrome. Semin Reprod Med 2013; 31 (05) 365-369
- 5 Zawadzki J, Dunaif A. Diagnostic Criteria for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: Towards a Rational Approach. Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Boston: Blackwell Scientific; 1995: 377-384
- 6 Azziz R, Carmina E, Dewailly D. et al; Androgen Excess Society. Positions statement: criteria for defining polycystic ovary syndrome as a predominantly hyperandrogenic syndrome: an Androgen Excess Society guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006; 91: 4237-4245
- 7 Coviello AD, Legro RS, Dunaif A. Adolescent girls with polycystic ovary syndrome have an increased risk of the metabolic syndrome associated with increasing androgen levels independent of obesity and insulin resistance. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006; 91: 492-497
- 8 Norman RJ, Dewailly D, Legro RS, Hickey TE. Polycystic ovary syndrome. Lancet 2007; 370: 685-697
- 9 Nidhi R, Padmalatha V, Nagarathna R, Amritanshu R. Prevalence of polycystic ovarian syndrome in Indian adolescents. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 2011; 24: 223-227
- 10 Ehrmann DA. Polycystic ovary syndrome. N Engl J Med 2005; 352: 1223-1236
- 11 Ferriman D, Purdie AW. The inheritance of polycystic ovarian disease and a possible relationship to premature balding. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 1979; 11: 291-300
- 12 Moran LJ, Brinkworth G, Noakes M, Norman RJ. Effects of lifestyle modification in polycystic ovarian syndrome. Reprod Biomed Online 2006; 12: 569-578
- 13 Sheehan MT. Polycystic ovarian syndrome: diagnosis and management. Clin Med Res 2004; 2: 13-27
- 14 Ndefo UA, Eaton A, Green MR. Polycystic ovary syndrome: a review of treatment options with a focus on pharmacological approaches. P&T 2013; 38: 336-355
- 15 Das D, Samadder A, Kayal SK, Bukhs ARK. Removal of large sized ovarian cysts by potentized homeopathic remedies: a myth or a dependable alternative option. Int J Complement Alt Med 2016; 3: 00088
- 16 Boericke W. Pocket Manual of Homeopathic Materia Medica and Repertory. 51st Impression. New Delhi: Jain Publishers; 2011
- 17 Allen HC. Keynotes and Characteristics with Comparisons of Some of the Leading Remedies of the Materia Medica with Bowel Nosodes. Reprint Edition. New Delhi: Jain Publishers; 2004
- 18 Schroyens F. Synthesis Repertory Version-9.1 Repertorium Homeopathicum Syntheticum. New Delhi: Jain publisher; 2011
- 19 Lamba CD, Oberai P, Manchanda RK. et al. Evaluation of homoeopathic treatment in polycystic ovary syndrome: a single-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled pilot study. Indian J Res Homeopathy 2018; 12: 35-45
- 20 Hahnemann S. Organon of Medicine. 6th ed.. New Delhi: Jain; 2011
- 21 Shah JJ. Hompath Classic M.D. Repertory. Ver. 8.0. Mumbai: Mind Technologies; 2002
- 22 Kent JT. Lectures on Homeopathic Philosophy. New Delhi: Jain; 2011: 231-241
- 23 Speight P. A Comparison of the Chronic Miasms, Psora, Pseudopsora, Syphilis, Sycosis. Reprint Edition. New Delhi: Jain Publishers; 1998: 1-87
- 24 van Haselen RA. Homeopathic clinical case reports: Development of a supplement (HOM-CASE) to the CARE clinical case reporting guideline. Complement Ther Med 2016; 25: 78-85
- 25 Dabhi DP, Mathur S, Kamboj M, Jain A. Usefulness of individualised homoeopathic medicines in treatment of polycystic ovarian disease: An evidence based case series. Int J Hom Sci 2020; 4: 20-25
- 26 Gupta G. Role of homoeopathic medicines in cases of polycystic ovarian disease assessed by modern diagnostic parameters. Advancements in Homeopathic Research 2017; 2: 15-25
- 27 Gupta G. Polycystic ovarian disease (PCOD). The Homoeopathic Heritage. 2009: 11-17
- 28 Rath P. Management of PCOS through homoeopathy—a case report. Indian J Res Homoeopathy 2018; 12: 95-100
- 29 Gupta Y. Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)—a case study with constitutional homoeopathic treatment. Int J Hum Sci 2019; 3: 22-24