Subscribe to RSS
Comparative Study on Method of Threshold Estimation: Distortion Product Threshold Test versus Pure Tone Threshold TestFunding None.
Introduction Distortion product otoacoustic emissions (DPOAEs) can be helpful in estimating the hearing thresholds by extrapolating the DPOAE input/output function with the help of scissor paradigm, and thus the following study aims at assessing its reliability by comparing DPOAE thresholds with those obtained by behavioral responses at pure tones on various frequencies.
Materials and Methods Fifty participants having normal hearing sensitivity were included in the study. Pure tone (PT) audiometry was carried out on all participants to determine PT thresholds in both ears. DPOAE threshold test was administered and thresholds at 1, 2, 4, and 8 kHz were compared accordingly.
Results The result indicated significant difference between the two methods of threshold estimation where the mean difference was found to be 3 decibel (dB) and 4 dB for left and right ears, respectively. Shapiro-Wilk test revealed normal distribution (p > 0.05) of the data. Hence, parametric paired t-test was performed, which revealed significant difference between PT and distortion product thresholds.
Conclusion Study concludes as having good clinical applicability in assessing neonates and infants.
04 March 2021 (online)
© 2021. Indian Society of Otology. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Kemp DT. Otoacoustic emissions, their origin in cochlear function, and use. Br Med Bull 2002; 63 (01) 223-241
- 2 Brownell WE. Outer hair cell electromotility and otoacoustic emissions. Ear Hear 1990; 11 (02) 82-92
- 3 Gelfand SA, Wilson C. Book review: essentials of audiology. J Audiol Med 2001; 10 (03) 216
- 4 Brownell WE, Bader CR, Bertrand D. de Ribaupierre Y. Evoked mechanical responses of isolated cochlear outer hair cells. Science 1985; 227 (4683) 194-196
- 5 Janssen T, Klein A, Gehr DD. [Automated hearing threshold estimation in newborns using extrapolated DPOAE input/output functions]. HNO 2003; 51 (12) 971-980
- 6 Kemp DT, Bray P, Alexander L, Brown AM. Acoustic emission cochleography–practical aspects. Scand Audiol Suppl 1986; 25: 71-95
- 7 Janssen T, Niedermeyer HP, Arnold W. Diagnostics of the cochlear amplifier by means of distortion product otoacoustic emissions. ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 2006; 68 (06) 334-339
- 8 Martin GK, Probst R, Lonsbury-Martin BL. Otoacoustic emissions in human ears: normative findings. Ear Hear 1990; 11 (02) 106-120
- 9 Boege P, Janssen T. Pure-tone threshold estimation from extrapolated distortion product otoacoustic emission I/O-functions in normal and cochlear hearing loss ears. J Acoust Soc Am 2002; 111 (04) 1810-1818
- 10 Gorga MP, Neely ST, Dorn PA, Hoover BM. Further efforts to predict pure-tone thresholds from distortion product otoacoustic emission input/output functions. J Acoust Soc Am 2003; 113 (06) 3275-3284
- 11 Kummer P, Janssen T, Hulin P, Arnold W. Optimal L(1)-L(2) primary tone level separation remains independent of test frequency in humans. Hear Res 2000; 146 (1-2) 47-56
- 12 Schmuziger N, Patscheke J, Probst R. Automated pure-tone threshold estimations from extrapolated distortion product otoacoustic emission (DPOAE) input/output functions. J Acoust Soc Am 2006; 119 (04) 1937-1939
- 13 Hatzopoulos S, Ciorba A, Petruccelli J. et al. Estimation of pure-tone thresholds in adults using extrapolated distortion product otoacoustic emission input/output-functions and auditory steady state responses. Int J Audiol 2009; 48 (09) 625-631
- 14 Klein A. Automated assessment of hearing threshold in neonates by means of extrapolated DPOAE I/O-functions (Doctoral dissertation, Technische Universität München).
- 15 Frank T. ANSI update: specification of audiometers. Am J Audiol 1997; 6 (03) 29-32
- 16 Hatzopoulos S, Kochanek K, Sliwa L, Skarzynski H. A pilot study on assessing hearing threshold using the Cochlea-Scan. Med Sci Monit 2008; 14 (04) MT7-MT11