Subscribe to RSS
A Unique Case of Replantation of Previously Replanted Fingers
Replantation of digital amputations is now the accepted standard of care. However, rarely will a replantation surgeon be presented with amputated fingers which have been previously replanted. In our literature search, we could find only one publication where a replanted thumb suffered amputation and was successfully replanted again. We report the technical challenges and the outcome of replanting two fingers which suffered amputation 40 months after the initial replantation and were successfully replanted again. Replantation was critical since the amputated fingers were the only two complete fingers in that hand which had initially suffered a four-finger amputation. The second-time replantation of previously replanted fingers is reported to allay the concern of the reconstructive surgeon when faced with this unique situation of “repeat amputation of the replanted finger.” Second-time replantation is feasible and is associated with high-patient satisfaction. Replantation must be attempted especially in the event of multiple digit amputations.
Keywordssecond time replantation - multiple finger amputation - re-replantation - digital amputation - finger replant
04 March 2021 (online)
© 2021. Association of Plastic Surgeons of India. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Chung K, Alderman A. Replantation of the upper extremity: indications and outcomes. J Am Soc Surg Hand 2002; 2: 78-94
- 2 Sabapathy SR, Venkatramani H, Bharathi RR, Bhardwaj P. Replantation surgery. J Hand Surg Am 2011; 36 (06) 1104-1110
- 3 Chim H, Maricevich MA, Carlsen BT. et al. Challenges in replantation of complex amputations. Semin Plast Surg 2013; 27 (04) 182-189
- 4 Tsai T. A complex reimplantation of digits: a case report. J Hand Surg Am 1979; 4 (02) 145-149
- 5 Sebastin SJ, Chung KC. Challenges in measuring outcomes following digital replantation. Semin Plast Surg 2013; 27 (04) 174-181
- 6 Dec W. A meta-analysis of success rates for digit replantation. Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg 2006; 10 (03) 124-129
- 7 Fujiki M, Ozaki M, Kai A, Takushima A, Harii K. Successful second microsurgical replantation for amputated penis. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open 2017; 5 (09) e1512
- 8 Volkmer BG, Maier S. Successful penile replantation following autoamputation: twice!. Int J Impot Res 2002; 14 (03) 197-198
- 9 Jain A, Dunlop R, Hems T, Tang JB. Outcomes of surgical repair of a single digital nerve in adults. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2019; 44 (06) 560-565
- 10 Venkatramani H, Sabapathy SR. Fingertip replantation: technical considerations and outcome analysis of 24 consecutive fingertip replantations. Indian J Plast Surg 2011; 44 (02) 237-245
- 11 Chung KC, Yoon AP, Malay S, Shauver MJ, Wang L, Kaur S. FRANCHISE Group. Patient-reported and functional outcomes after revision amputation and replantation of digit amputations: The FRANCHISE Multicenter International Retrospective Cohort Study. JAMA Surg 2019; 154 (07) 637-646