Subscribe to RSS
Primary Extranodal Non-Hodgkin Lymphomas: A First Tertiary Care Experience from Punjab, North India
Background Primary extranodal lymphomas are less frequently encountered and difficult to diagnose in routine practice. The histopathological and immunohistochemical studies are essential in addition to clinical details to diagnose. The incidence is varied in different parts of India along with variation in histopathological spectrum.
Methodology The clinical features and histopathological findings of patients diagnosed with primary extranodal lymphoma over 3-year period were retrieved from archives of pathology department and analyzed.
Results During the 3-year study period, a total of 135 cases of non-Hodgkin lymphomas were evaluated, and of these, 41.4% (56/135) of cases presented with primary extranodal involvement. The mean age of primary extranodal lymphoma presentation was 61.3 ± 17.5 with M:F ratio of 1:1.1 Most common extranodal site involved was gastrointestinal tract 32.1%, 18/56 (small intestine [17.8%, 10 cases] and large intestine [8.9%, 5 cases]). Non-Hodgkin lymphomas of B cell type were the predominant subtype (48/56, 85.7%), while 8/56 (14.2%) cases were of T cell lineage. Of the B cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma diffuse, large B cell lymphoma was the predominant subtype constituting ~83.3% (40/48).
Conclusion Primary extranodal lymphomas exhibit varied histomorphological and clinical presentation. The present study is first such analysis from Punjab that intends to compare with studies from other parts of India.
14 June 2021 (online)
© 2021. MedIntel Services Pvt Ltd. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Pai A, Kannan T, Balambika RG, Vasini V. A study of clinical profile of primary extranodal lymphomas in a tertiary care institute in South India. Indian J Med Paediatr Oncol 2017; 38 (03) 251-255
- 2 Mishra P, Das S, Kar R, Jacob SE, Basu D. Primary extranodal non-Hodgkin lymphoma: a 3-year record-based descriptive study from a tertiary care center in Southern India. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 2015; 58 (03) 296-300
- 3 Lopa K, Sharma J, Manoj K. et al. Extranodal lymphoma: an experience from a tertiary care centre in North-East India. Asia Pac J Res 2018; 2: 6-9
- 4 Singh D, Kumar L, Goyal H. et al. Primary extranodal non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma in Northern India. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 2003; 22: 2457
- 5 Padhi S, Paul TR, Challa S. et al. Primary extra nodal non Hodgkin lymphoma: a 5 year retrospective analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2012; 13 (10) 4889-4895
- 6 Gogia A, Das CK, Kumar L. et al. Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: an institutional analysis. South Asian J Cancer 2018; 7 (03) 200-202
- 7 Suresh B, Asati V, Lakshmaiah KC. et al. Primary gastrointestinal diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: a prospective study from South India. South Asian J Cancer 2019; 8 (01) 57-59
- 8 Mehta J, Thakrar MP, Meena M, Mittal A, Gupta K. Primary extranodal non-Hodgkin lymphoma: a 2-year retrospective analysis from a tertiary care centre in Rajasthan. Int J Med Res Prof 2016; 2: 76-80
- 9 Aparna C, Renuka IV, Rajani M, Sailabala G, Annapurna P. Primary extranodal lymphomas – Spectrum of distribution and morphology with immunophenotyping: a 3-year institutional study. Med J DY Patil Univ 2015; 8: 138-143