Subscribe to RSS
An Unusual Cause of Posterior Knee Pain: Mucoid Degeneration of the Anterior Cruciate Ligament - Case Report[*]Article in several languages: português | English
Mucoid degeneration of the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is an uncommon cause of pain in the posterior region of the knee, of unknown pathophysiology and underdiagnosed. The best treatment modality is still under discussion. Resection of the lesion with partial ACL debridement has shown good results without the occurrence of instability. The authors present a case of mucoid degeneration of the ACL treated with resection of the mucoid degeneration and partial debridement of the ACL by arthroscopy.
* Work developed in the Orthopedics Departments of UNICAMP and of Instituto Wilson Mello, Campinas, São Paulo, Brazil.
Received: 18 July 2020
Accepted: 16 September 2020
31 March 2021 (online)
© 2021. Sociedade Brasileira de Ortopedia e Traumatologia. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, permitting unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction so long as the original work is properly cited. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Thieme Revinter Publicações Ltda.
Rua do Matoso 170, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, CEP 20270-135, Brazil
- 1 Fernandes JL, Viana SL, Mendonça JL. et al. Mucoid degeneration of the anterior cruciate ligament: magnetic resonance imaging findings of an underdiagnosed entity. Acta Radiol 2008; 49 (01) 75-79
- 2 Lintz F, Pujol N, Boisrenoult P, Bargoin K, Beaufils P, Dejour D. Anterior cruciate ligament mucoid degeneration: a review of the literature and management guidelines. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2011; 19 (08) 1326-1333
- 3 Kumar A, Bickerstaff DR, Grimwood JS, Suvarna SK. Mucoid cystic degeneration of the cruciate ligament. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1999; 81 (02) 304-305
- 4 Bergin D, Morrison WB, Carrino JA, Nallamshetty SN, Bartolozzi AR. Anterior cruciate ligament ganglia and mucoid degeneration: coexistence and clinical correlation. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2004; 182 (05) 1283-1287
- 5 McIntyre J, Moelleken S, Tirman P. Mucoid degeneration of the anterior cruciate ligament mistaken for ligamentous tears. Skeletal Radiol 2001; 30 (06) 312-315
- 6 Narvekar A, Gajjar S. Mucoid degeneration of the anterior cruciate ligament. Arthroscopy 2004; 20 (02) 141-146
- 7 Fealy S, Kenter K, Dines JS, Warren RF. Mucoid degeneration of the anterior cruciate ligament. Arthroscopy 2001; 17 (09) E37
- 8 Hensen JJ, Coerkamp EG, Bloem JL, De Schepper AM. Mucoid degeneration of the anterior cruciate ligament. JBR-BTR 2007; 90 (03) 192-193
- 9 Melloni P, Valls R, Yuguero M, Sáez A. Mucoid degeneration of the anterior cruciate ligament with erosion of the lateral femoral condyle. Skeletal Radiol 2004; 33 (06) 359-362
- 10 Dejour D, Cohn J, Tavernier T. Anterior Cruciate Ligament Cyst or Spontaneous Mucoide degeneration? Clinical, radiological and histological outcomes. Rev Chir Orthop Repar Appar Mot 2005; 91 (S8): 67