The Swollen Calf of Reperfusion Injury. An Addition to the Spectrum of Pseudothrombophlebitis
Unilateral calf pain and swelling are suggestive of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) but may also result from muscle or tendon tear, Baker's cyst, soft tissue infection, and inflammation.   To distinguish mimickers from DVT, the term pseudothrombophlebitis is used, meant to avoid potential harm from anticoagulant treatment, and foster disease-specific management. We describe pseudothrombophlebitis in the followings of iliac artery thrombosis, thromboendarterectomy, and rhabdomyolysis of calf muscles. Awareness to this rare occurrence is warranted.
21 January 2021 (online)
© 2021. International College of Angiology. This article is published by Thieme.
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Katz RS, Zizic TM, Arnold WP, Stevens MB. The pseudothrombophlebitis syndrome. Medicine (Baltimore) 1977; 56 (02) 151-164
- 2 Kabeya Y, Tomita M, Katsuki T, Meguro S, Atsumi Y. Pseudothrombophlebitis. Intern Med 2009; 48 (21) 1927
- 3 Daniel A, Eugénio G, Silva J, da Silva J. Unilateral calf hypertrophy and radiculopathy: an unusual association. BMJ Case Rep 2016; 2016: bcr2016217744
- 4 Zutt R, van der Kooi AJ, Linthorst GE, Wanders RJ, de Visser M. Rhabdomyolysis: review of the literature. Neuromuscul Disord 2014; 24 (08) 651-659
- 5 Naschitz JE, Yeshurun D, Abrahamson J. Arterial occlusive disease in occult cancer. Am Heart J 1992; 124 (03) 738-745
- 6 Brenner B, Bikdeli B, Tzoran I. et al; RIETE Investigators. Arterial ischemic events are a major complication in cancer patients with venous thromboembolism. Am J Med 2018; 131 (09) 1095-1103
- 7 Leow KS, Chew KM, Chawla A, Lim TC. Sonographic assessment of musculoskeletal causes of calf pain and swelling. Emerg Radiol 2019; 26 (03) 349-359
- 8 Beaulieu RJ, Grimm JC, Hassoun HT. Ischemia-reperfusion. Rutherford Vasc Surg Endovasc Therap 2019; 6: 64-71
- 9 Melli G, Chaudhry V, Cornblath DR. Rhabdomyolysis: an evaluation of 475 hospitalized patients. Medicine (Baltimore) 2005; 84 (06) 377-385
- 10 Tiwari A, Haq AI, Myint F, Hamilton G. Acute compartment syndromes. Br J Surg 2002; 89 (04) 397-412
- 11 Anema JG, Morey AF, McAninch JW, Mario LA, Wessells H. Complications related to the high lithotomy position during urethral reconstruction. J Urol 2000; 164 (02) 360-363
- 12 Nakamura K, Aoki H, Hirakawa T, Murata T, Kanuma T, Minegishi T. Compartment syndrome with thrombosis of common iliac artery after gynecologic surgery. Obstet Gynecol 2008; 112 (2 Pt 2): 486-488