Waves of SARS-CoV-2 Infection and Blood Coagulation—A Link and Beyond
In 2020, the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic caused by the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2) presented a major health problem, forcing people to work from home in an effort to contain the virus. The pandemic generated opportunities for research in many areas. In the first phase of the pandemic, a great number of scientific reports were published on SARS-CoV-2. These reports generated further scientific questions, which have become even more relevant now that we are experiencing a second wave of infections. Thromboembolic events contribute to up to 20% of COVID-19-related mortality, making this a highly important research topic.
Received: 16 November 2020
Accepted: 17 November 2020
21 January 2021 (online)
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Bikdeli B, Madhavan MV, Gupta A. et al; Global COVID-19 Thrombosis Collaborative Group. Pharmacological agents targeting thromboinflammation in COVID-19: review and implications for future research. Thromb Haemost 2020; 120 (07) 1004-1024
- 2 Mackman N, Antoniak S, Wolberg AS, Kasthuri R, Key NS. Coagulation abnormalities and thrombosis in patients infected with SARS-CoV-2 and other pandemic viruses. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2020; 40 (09) 2033-2044
- 3 Violi F, Pastori D, Cangemi R, Pignatelli P, Loffredo L. Hypercoagulation and antithrombotic treatment in coronavirus 2019: a new challenge. Thromb Haemost 2020; 120 (06) 949-956
- 4 Bilaloglu S, Aphinyanaphongs Y, Jones S, Iturrate E, Hochman J, Berger JS. Thrombosis in hospitalized patients with COVID-19 in a New York city health system. JAMA 2020; 324 (08) 799-801
- 5 Zhang S, Liu Y, Wang X. et al. SARS-CoV-2 binds platelet ACE2 to enhance thrombosis in COVID-19. J Hematol Oncol 2020; 13 (01) 120
- 6 Liu Y, Yang Y, Zhang C. et al. Clinical and biochemical indexes from 2019-nCoV infected patients linked to viral loads and lung injury. Sci China Life Sci 2020; 63 (03) 364-374
- 7 Molitor M, Rudi WS, Garlapati V. et al. Nox2+ Myeloid cells drive vascular inflammation and endothelial dysfunction in heart failure after myocardial infarction via angiotensin II receptor type 1. Cardiovasc Res 2020; DOI: 10.1093/cvr/cvaa042.
- 8 Mogielnicki A, Chabielska E, Pawlak R, Szemraj J, Buczko W. Angiotensin II enhances thrombosis development in renovascular hypertensive rats. Thromb Haemost 2005; 93 (06) 1069-1076
- 9 Violi F, Oliva A, Cangemi R. et al. Nox2 activation in Covid-19. Redox Biol 2020; 36: 101655
- 10 Violi F, Carnevale R, Loffredo L, Pignatelli P, Gallin JI. NADPH oxidase-2 and atherothrombosis: insight from chronic granulomatous disease. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2017; 37 (02) 218-225
- 11 Le Joncour A, Biard L, Vautier M. et al. Neutrophil-platelet and monocyte-platelet aggregates in COVID-19 patients. Thromb Haemost 2020; 120 (12) 1733-1735
- 12 Eriksson O, Hultström M, Persson B. et al. Mannose-binding lectin is associated with thrombosis and coagulopathy in critically Ill COVID-19 patients. Thromb Haemost 2020; 120 (12) 1720-1724
- 13 Cangemi R, Pignatelli P, Carnevale R. et al. Low-grade endotoxemia, gut permeability and platelet activation in community-acquired pneumonia. J Infect 2016; 73: 107-114
- 14 Wada H, Thachil J, Di Nisio M. et al; The Scientific Standardization Committee on DIC of the International Society on Thrombosis Haemostasis. Guidance for diagnosis and treatment of DIC from harmonization of the recommendations from three guidelines. J Thromb Haemost 2013; 11: 761-767
- 15 Thachil J, Juffermans NP, Ranucci M. et al. ISTH DIC subcommittee communication on anticoagulation in COVID-19. J Thromb Haemost 2020; 18 (09) 2138-2144
- 16 Patell R, Midha S, Kimani S. et al. Variability in institutional guidance for COVID-19-associated coagulopathy in the United States. Thromb Haemost 2020; 120 (12) 1725-1732
- 17 Marietta M, Ageno W, Artoni A. et al. COVID-19 and haemostasis: a position paper from Italian Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis (SISET). Blood Transfus 2020; 18 (03) 167-169
- 18 Gerotziafas GT, Catalano M, Colgan MP. et al; Scientific Reviewer Committee. Guidance for the management of patients with vascular disease or cardiovascular risk factors and COVID-19: position paper from VAS-European Independent Foundation in Angiology/Vascular Medicine. Thromb Haemost 2020; 120 (12) 1597-1628
- 19 Tritschler T, Mathieu ME, Skeith L. et al; International Network of VENous Thromboembolism Clinical Research Networks INVENT-VTE. Anticoagulant interventions in hospitalized patients with COVID-19: a scoping review of randomized controlled trials and call for international collaboration. J Thromb Haemost 2020; 18 (11) 2958-2967
- 20 Patell R, Chasku T, Bauer E. et al. Pharmacologic thromboprophylaxis and thrombosis in hospitalized patients with COVID-19: a pooled analysis. Thromb Haemost 2021; 121 (01) 76-85
- 21 Overstad S, Tjonnfjord E, Garabet L. et al. Venous thromboembolism and coronavirus disease 2019 in an ambulatory care setting - a report of 4 cases. Thromb Res 2020; 194: 116-118
- 22 Billet H, Reyer M, Szymanski J. Anticoagulation in COVID-19: effect of enoxaparin, heparin and apixaban on mortality. Thromb Haemost 2020; 120 (12) 1691-1699
- 23 Frydman GH, Streiff MB, Connors JM, Piazza G. The potential role of coagulation factor Xa in the pathophysiology of COVID-19: a role for anticoagulants as multimodal therapeutic agents. TH Open 2020; 4 (04) e288-e299
- 24 Iturbe-Hernandez T, García de Guadiana Romualdo L, Gil Ortega I. et al. Dabigatran, the oral anticoagulant of choice at discharge in patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation and COVID-19 infection: the ANIBAL protocol. Drugs Context 2020; DOI: 10.7573/dic.2020-8-3.
- 25 Harenberg J, Bauersachs R, Ageno W. Does chronic treatment with oral anticoagulants ameliorate the clinical course of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection in coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)?. Semin Thromb Hemost 2020; DOI: 10.1055/s-0040-1715091.
- 26 Capella WH, Elliot S, Barnathanc ES. et al. Rationale and design for the study of rivaroxaban to reduce thrombotic events, hospitalization and death in outpatients with COVID-19: PREVENT-HD. Thromb Haemost 2021; In press
- 27 van Haren FMP, Page C, Laffey JG. et al. Nebulised heparin as a treatment for COVID-19: scientific rationale and a call for randomised evidence. Crit Care 2020; 24 (01) 454
- 28 Liu J, Li J, Arnold K, Pawlinski R, Key NS. Using heparin molecules to manage COVID-2019. Res Pract Thromb Haemost 2020; 4 (04) 518-523
- 29 Harenberg J, Favaloro E. COVID-19: progression of disease and intravascular coagulation - present status and future perspectives. Clin Chem Lab Med 2020; 58 (07) 1029-1036
- 30 Valeriani E, Squizzato A, Gallo A. et al. Efficacy and safety of recombinant human soluble thrombomodulin in patients with sepsis-associated coagulopathy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Thromb Haemost 2020; 18 (07) 1618-1625
- 31 Violi F, Cacarelli G, Loffredo L. et al. Albumin supplementation dampens hypercoagulability in COVID-19. Preliminary report. Thromb Haemost 2021; 121 (01) 102-105