Subscribe to RSS
An In vitro Study to Evaluate and Compare the Dimensional Accuracy of Poly (Methyl Methacrylate) by Injection Molding and Conventional Molding Technique
Introduction Poly(methyl methacrylate) is widely used as denture base material due its better physical properties, ease to fabricate, and repair. Despite being the material of choice for the denture fabrication, dentures made from poly(methyl methacrylate) may exhibit dimensional changes due to volumetric shrinkage. This further affects the retention of the denture. Various methods have been used to overcome this problem. One such method is the use of injection molding technique. So, a study was planned to evaluate the efficacy of dentures processed by injection molding technique in reducing the volumetric shrinkage.
Objective To evaluate and compare the dimensional accuracy of poly(methyl methacrylate) resin processed by conventional and injection molding technique.
Materials and Methods A total of 90 samples were made. Half of the samples (45) were fabricated by compression molding and half (45) by injection molding technique. Dimensional change was studied at three equidistant points in posterior region with the help of digitized travelling microscope. Statistical analysis was done using student’s t-test.
Result Dimensional accuracy of injection molded poly(methyl methacrylate) resin was greater than that of compression molded poly(methyl methacrylate).
12 December 2020 (online)
© 2020. Bhojia Dental College and Hospital affiliated to Himachal Pradesh University. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Parvizi A, Lindquist T, Schneider R, Williamson D, Boyer D, Dawson DV. Comparison of the dimensional accuracy of injection-molded denture base materials to that of conventional pressure-pack acrylic resin. J Prosthodont 2004; 13 (02) 83-89
- 2 Zissis A, Huggett R, Harrison A. Measurement methods used for the determination of dimensional accuracy and stability of denture base materials. J Dent 1991; 19 (04) 199-206
- 3 Murray MD, Darvell BW. The evolution of the complete denture base. Theories of complete denture retention—a review. Part 1. Aust Dent J 1993; 38 (03) 216-219
- 4 Rueggeberg FA. From vulcanite to vinyl, a history of resins in restorative dentistry. J Prosthet Dent 2002; 87 (04) 364-379
- 5 Powers JM, Sakaguchi RL. eds. Craig’s Restorative Dental Material. 12th ed. Mosby; 2006: 513-551
- 6 Woelfel JB, Paffenbarger GC. Dimensional changes occurring in artificial dentures. Int Dent J 1959; 9 (04) 451-460
- 7 Latta GH Jr, Bowles WF II, Conkin JE. Three-dimensional stability of new denture base resin systems. J Prosthet Dent 1990; 63 (06) 654-661
- 8 McCartney JW. Flange adaptation discrepancy, palatal base distortion, and induced malocclusion caused by processing acrylic resin maxillary complete dentures. J Prosthet Dent 1984; 52 (04) 545-553
- 9 Mahler DB. Inarticulation of complete dentures processed by the compression molding technique. J Prosthet Dent 1951; 1 (05) 551-559
- 10 Pryor WJ. Injection molding of plastics for dentures. J Am Dent Assoc 1942; 29 (01) 1400-1408
- 11 Anderson GC, Schulte JK, Arnold TG. Dimensional stability of injection and conventional processing of denture base acrylic resin. J Prosthet Dent 1988; 60 (03) 394-398
- 12 Sykora O, Sutow EJ. Posterior palatal seal adaptation: influence of processing technique, palate shape and immersion. J Oral Rehabil 1993; 20 (01) 19-31
- 13 Laughlin GA, Eick JD, Glaros AG, Young L, Moore DJ. A comparison of palatal adaptation in acrylic resin denture bases using conventional and anchored polymerization techniques. J Prosthodont 2001; 10 (04) 204-211
- 14 Grant AA, Atkinson HF. Comparison between dimensional accuracy of dentures produced with pour-type resin and with heat-processed materials. J Prosthet Dent 1971; 26 (03) 296-301
- 15 de Gee AJ, ten Harkel EC, Davidson CL. Measuring procedure for the determination of the three-dimensional shape of dentures. J Prosthet Dent 1979; 42 (02) 149-153
- 16 Mowery WE, Burns CL, Dickson G, Sweeney WT. Dimensional stability of denture base resins. J Am Dent Assoc 1958; 57 (03) 345-353
- 17 Woelfel JB, Paffenbarger GC, Sweeney WT. Dimensional changes occurring in dentures during processing. J Am Dent Assoc 1960; 61: 413-430
- 18 Hardy F. Comparison of fluid resin and compression molding methods in processing dimensional changes. J Prosthet Dent 1978; 39 (04) 375-377
- 19 Mirza F. Dimensional stability of acrylic resin dentures. J Prosthet Dent 1961; 11: 848-857
- 20 Johnson DL, Duncanson Jr MG. The plastic post palatal denture seal. Quintessence Int 1987; 18 (07) 457-462
- 21 Barsoum WM, Eder J, Asgar K. Evaluating the accuracy of fit of aluminum-cast denture bases and acrylic resin bases with a surface meter. J Am Dent Assoc 1968; 76 (01) 82-88
- 22 Becker CM, Smith DE, Nicholls JI. The comparison of denture-base processing techniques. Part II. Dimensional changes due to processing. J Prosthet Dent 1977; 37 (04) 450-459
- 23 Strohaver RA. Comparison of changes in vertical dimension between compression and injection molded complete dentures. J Prosthet Dent 1989; 62 (06) 716-718
- 24 Antonopoulos AN. Dimensional and occlusal changes in fluid resin dentures. J Prosthet Dent 1978; 39 (06) 605-615
- 25 Peyton FA, Anthony DH. Evaluation of dentures processed by different techniques. J Prosthet Dent 1963; 13 (02) 269-281
- 26 Kraut RA. A comparison of denture base accuracy. J Am Dent Assoc 1971; 83 (02) 352-357
- 27 Huggett R, Zissis A, Harrison A, Dennis A. Dimensional accuracy and stability of acrylic resin denture bases. J Prosthet Dent 1992; 68 (04) 634-640
- 28 Salim S, Sadamori S, Hamada T. The dimensional accuracy of rectangular acrylic resin specimens cured by three denture base processing methods. J Prosthet Dent 1992; 67 (06) 879-881
- 29 Nogueira SS, Ogle RE, Davis EL. Comparison of accuracy between compression- and injection-molded complete dentures. J Prosthet Dent 1999; 82 (03) 291-300
- 30 Garfunkel E. Evaluation of dimensional changes in complete dentures processed by injection-pressing and the pack-and-press technique. J Prosthet Dent 1983; 50 (06) 757-761