Spinal Muscular Atrophy and Progressive Myoclonic Epilepsy: A Rare AssociationFunding None.
The association of spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) with progressive myoclonic epilepsy, also known as “SMA plus,” is a unique syndrome linked to non-survival motor neuron (non-SMN) genes. The disease starts in childhood with progressive weakness and atrophy of muscles; myoclonic epilepsy develops during later childhood, after the onset of motor symptoms. In this report, we describe a case of SMN gene unrelated SMA and myoclonic epilepsy, supported by electrophysiological and neuropathological evidences.
Artikel online veröffentlicht:
29. Januar 2021
© 2020. Association for Helping Neurosurgical Sick People. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Menkes JH, Sarnat HB. Diseases of the motor unit. In: Menkes JH, Sarnat HB. eds. Child Neurology. 6th edition. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2000: 1027-1092
- 2 Zhou J, Tawk M, Tiziano FD. et al. Spinal muscular atrophy associated with progressive myoclonic epilepsy is caused by mutations in ASAH1. Am J Hum Genet 2012; 91 (01) 5-14
- 3 Zerres K, Rudnik-Schöneborn S. 93rd ENMC International Workshop: non-5q-spinal muscular atrophies (SMA) - clinical picture (6-8 April 2001, Naarden, The Netherlands). Neuromuscul Disord 2003; 13 (02) 179-183
- 4 Jankovic J, Rivera V. Hereditary myoclonus and progressive muscular atrophy: a new syndrome. Trans Am Neurol Assoc 1978; 103: 116-118
- 5 Yu FPS, Amintas S, Levade T, Medin JA. Acid ceramidase deficiency: Farber disease and SMA-PME. Orphanet J Rare Dis 2018; 13 (01) 121 DOI: 10.1186/s13023-018-0845-z.
- 6 Shervin Badv R, Nilipour Y, Rahimi-Dehgolan S, Rashidi-Nezhad A, Ghahvechi Akbari M. A novel case report of spinal muscular atrophy with progressive myoclonic epilepsy from Iran. Int Med Case Rep J 2019; 12: 155-159