Midgut Volvulus Due to a True Jejunal Diverticula
Jejunal diverticula is a rare condition quoted to affect between 0.5% and 7% of the individuals. This disease is usually clinically silent but becomes symptomatic when complications develop. Among its complications is small bowel volvulus that is a very rare entity.
29. November 2020 (online)
© 2020. Medical and Surgical Update Society. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/.)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Akhrass R, Yaffe MB, Fischer C, Ponsky J, Shuck JM. Small-bowel diverticulosis: perceptions and reality. J Am Coll Surg 1997; 184 (04) 383-388
- 2 De Peuter B, Box I, Vanheste R, Dymarkowski S. Small-bowel diverticulosis: imaging findings and review of three cases. Gastroenterol Res Pract 2009; 2009: 549853
- 3 Lempinen M, Salmela K, Kemppainen E. Jejunal diverticulosis: a potentially dangerous entity. Scand J Gastroenterol 2004; 39 (09) 905-909
- 4 Tsiotos GG, Farnell MB, Ilstrup DM. Nonmeckelian jejunal or ileal diverticulosis: an analysis of 112 cases. Surgery 1994; 116 (04) 726-731; discussion 731–732
- 5 Davies NM, Saleh JY, Skjodt NM. Detection and prevention of NSAID-induced enteropathy. J Pharm Pharm Sci 2000; 3 (01) 137-155
- 6 Williams RA, Davidson DD, Serota AI, Wilson SE. Surgical problems of diverticula of the small intestine. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1981; 152 (05) 621-626
- 7 Kavanagh C, Kaoutzanis C, Spoor K, Friedman PF. Perforated jejunal diverticulum: a rare presentation of acute abdomen. BMJ Case Rep 2014; 2014: bcr-2013-202673
- 8 Krishnamurthy S, Kelly MM, Rohrmann CA, Schuffler MD. Jejunal diverticulosis. A heterogenous disorder caused by a variety of abnormalities of smooth muscle or myenteric plexus. Gastroenterology 1983; 85 (03) 538-547
- 9 de Bree E, Grammatikakis J, Christodoulakis M, Tsiftsis D. The clinical significance of acquired jejunoileal diverticula. Am J Gastroenterol 1998; 93 (12) 2523-2528
- 10 Chou CK, Mark CW, Wu RH, Chang JM. Large diverticulum and volvulus of the small bowel in adults. World J Surg 2005; 29 (01) 80-82