Homoeopathy for Adjustment Disorder: A Case SeriesFunding No fund received.
Despite its high prevalence in clinical and consultant liaison psychiatry populations, adjustment disorder (AD) research has traditionally been hindered by its lack of clear diagnostic criteria. Here, we are presenting five cases of AD diagnosed with Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.
Five patients who consulted at the Out Patient Department of National Homoeopathy Research Institute of Mental Health, Kerala, India, with symptoms of AD were treated with individualised homoeopathic medicine. Assessment of the symptoms was done using Depression, Anxiety and Stress Scale—21 Items. Details of consultations, treatment and assessment are summarised. Possible causal attribution of changes was explicitly depicted by Naranjo Criteria. It shows the positive role of homoeopathic treatment in AD.
All five patients showed marked improvement.
We were able to prevent the considerable self-harm and suicidality associated with AD. However, more extensive research is needed in the topic to prove the effectiveness of individualised homoeopathic medicine in AD.
The subjects were explained about the research and they were free to withdraw from the study at any time as per their convenience. A written voluntary informed consent was obtained from each of them.
31. März 2021 (online)
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 5th edition.. Washington D.C.: 2013
- 2 Casey P. Adjustment disorder: epidemiology, diagnosis and treatment. CNS Drugs 2009; 23 (11) 927-938
- 3 O'Donnell ML, Alkemade N, Creamer M. et al. A longitudinal study of adjustment disorder after trauma exposure. Am J Psychiatry 2016; 173 (12) 1231-1238
- 4 Evans SC, Reed GM, Roberts MC. et al. Psychologists' perspectives on the diagnostic classification of mental disorders: results from the WHO-IUPsyS Global Survey. Int J Psychol 2013; 48 (03) 177-193
- 5 Reed GM, Mendonça Correia J, Esparza P, Saxena S, Maj M. The WPA-WHO global survey of psychiatrists' attitudes towards mental disorders classification. World Psychiatry 2011; 10 (02) 118-131
- 6 Casey P, Maracy M, Kelly BD. et al. Can adjustment disorder and depressive episode be distinguished? Results from ODIN. J Affect Disord 2006; 92 (2-3): 291-297
- 7 Maercker A, Forstmeier S, Enzler A. et al. Adjustment disorders, posttraumatic stress disorder, and depressive disorders in old age: findings from a community survey. Compr Psychiatry 2008; 49 (02) 113-120
- 8 Strain JJ, Smith GC, Hammer JS. et al. Adjustment disorder: a multisite study of its utilization and interventions in the consultation-liaison psychiatry setting. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 1998; 20 (03) 139-149
- 9 Mitchell AJ, Chan M, Bhatti H. et al. Prevalence of depression, anxiety, and adjustment disorder in oncological, haematological, and palliative-care settings: a meta-analysis of 94 interview-based studies. Lancet Oncol 2011; 12 (02) 160-174
- 10 Einsle F, Köllner V, Dannemann S, Maercker A. Development and validation of a self-report for the assessment of adjustment disorders. Psychol Health Med 2010; 15 (05) 584-595
- 11 Casey P, Jabbar F, O'Leary E, Doherty AM. Suicidal behaviours in adjustment disorder and depressive episode. J Affect Disord 2015; 174: 441-446
- 12 Greenberg WM, Rosenfeld DN, Ortega EA. Adjustment disorder as an admission diagnosis. Am J Psychiatry 1995; 152 (03) 459-461
- 13 Kryzhanovskaya L, Canterbury R. Suicidal behavior in patients with adjustment disorders. Crisis 2001; 22 (03) 125-131
- 14 Strain JJ, Friedman MJ. Considering adjustment disorders as stress response syndromes for DSM-5. Depress Anxiety 2011; 28 (09) 818-823
- 15 Casey P, Bailey S. Adjustment disorders: the state of the art. World Psychiatry 2011; 10 (01) 11-18
- 16 Sadock BJ, Sadock BJ, Sadock VA, Ruiz P. Kaplan & Sadock's Synopsis of Psychiatry: Behavioral Sciences/Clinical Psychiatry. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2015: 449
- 17 Stein DJ. Pharmacotherapy of adjustment disorder: a review. World J Biol Psychiatry 2018; 19 (sup1): S46-S52
- 18 Guess G. A case of adjustment disorder with anxiety. Am J Hom Med 2017; 110 (01) 30-32
- 19 Lovibond SH, Lovibond PF. Manual for the Depression Anxiety & Stress Scales. 2nd edition.. Sydney: Psychology Foundation; 1995
- 20 Hahnemann S. Organon of Medicine. 5th and 6th edition combined.. New Delhi, India: B. Jain Publisher (P) Ltd; 2005: 198
- 21 Casey P, Dowrick C, Wilkinson G. Adjustment disorders: fault line in the psychiatric glossary. Br J Psychiatry 2001; 179: 479-481
- 22 Oberai P, Gopinadhan S, Varanasi R, Mishra A, Singh V, Nayak C. Homoeopathic management of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: a randomised placebo controlled trial. Indian J Res Homoeoapth 2013; 7: 158-167
- 23 Oberai P, Gopinadhan S, Sharma A, Nayak C, Gautam K. Homoeopathic management of schizophrenia: a prospective, non- comparative, open - label observational study. Indian J Res Homoeoapth 2016; 10: 108-118
- 24 Oberai P, Balachandran I, Janardhanan Nair KR. et al. Homeopathic management of depressive episodes: a prospective, unicentric, non-comparative, open–label observational study. Indian J Res Homoeoapth 2013; 7: 116-125
- 25 Barvalia PM, Oza PM, Daftary AH, Patil VS, Agarwal VS, Mehta AR. Effectiveness of homeoepathic therapeutics in the management of childhood autism disorder. Indian J Res Homoeopa 2014; 8: 147-159