Acute Embolic Occlusion of Renal Artery after the Bentall Procedure: the Role of Primary Renal Angioplasty
Acute renal occlusion is an uncommon emergency problem in daily practice. The diagnosis is often missed or delayed not only because of its rarity but also nonspecific of clinical presentation. Sudden and complete termination of arterial blood supply to the kidney may lead to renal infarction and a complete loss of renal function. Although the need of early revascularization is uniformly recommended, but the methods has not been established. We presented a case of acute thromboembolic renal artery occlusion in patient who had a history of Bentall's surgery. Renal infarction and artery occlusion were clearly visualized by computed tomography angiogram (CTA). The patient was successfully treated with angioplasty and stenting of main renal artery with complete disappearance of symptoms and recovery of his renal function.
Received: 23 May 2020
Accepted: 17 September 2020
26 November 2020 (online)
© 2020. International College of Angiology. This article is published by Thieme.
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Silverberg D, Menes T, Rimon U, Salomon O, Halak M. Acute renal artery occlusion: presentation, treatment, and outcome. J Vasc Surg 2016; 64 (04) 1026-1032
- 2 Fort J, Segarra A, Matas M, Segarra A, Camps J. Renal artery embolism: prospective study of 41 patients based on a diagnostic and therapeutic algorithm. Open Urol Nephrol J 2008; 1 (01) 9-15
- 3 Koivuviita N, Tertti R, Heiro M, Manner I, Metsärinne K. Thromboembolism as a cause of renal artery occlusion and acute kidney injury: the recovery of kidney function after two weeks. Case Rep Nephrol Urol 2014; 4 (01) 82-87
- 4 Korzets Z, Plotkin E, Bernheim J, Zissin R. The clinical spectrum of acute renal infarction. Isr Med Assoc J 2002; 4 (10) 781-784
- 5 Hazanov N, Somin M, Attali M. et al. Acute renal embolism. Forty-four cases of renal infarction in patients with atrial fibrillation. Medicine (Baltimore) 2004; 83 (05) 292-299
- 6 Widyasmara HB, Birowo P, Rasyid N. Urinary stone composition analysis in indonesian population: a single major center analysis. Indones J Urol 2018; 2: 104-109
- 7 Nazerian P, Mueller C, Soeiro AM. et al; ADvISED Investigators. Diagnostic accuracy of the aortic dissection detection risk score plus D-dimer for acute aortic syndromes the ADvISED prospective multicenter study. Circulation 2018; 137 (03) 250-258
- 8 Singh S, Wang L, Yao QS, Jyotimallika J, Singh S. Spontaneous renal artery thrombosis: an unusual cause of acute abdomen. N Am J Med Sci 2014; 6 (05) 234-236
- 9 Sheng Huang H. Acute renal artery embolism: a case report and literature review. Gen Med Open Access 2016; 4 (03) 4-7
- 10 Piffaretti G, Riva F, Tozzi M. et al. Catheter-directed thrombolysis for acute renal artery thrombosis: report of 4 cases. Vasc Endovascular Surg 2008; 42 (04) 375-379
- 11 Blum U, Billmann P, Krause T. et al. Effect of local low-dose thrombolysis on clinical outcome in acute embolic renal artery occlusion. Radiology 1993; 189 (02) 549-554
- 12 Ouriel K, Andrus CH, Ricotta JJ, DeWeese JA, Green RM. Acute renal artery occlusion: when is revascularization justified?. J Vasc Surg 1987; 5 (02) 348-355
- 13 Arabi M, Vellody R, Cho K. Acute renal artery occlusion with prolonged renal Ischemia: a case of successful treatment with stent placement and catheter-directed thrombolysis. J Clin Imaging Sci 2011; 1: 11
- 14 Kumar B, Kumari S. Spontaneous renal artery thrombosis successfully intervened with drug eluting stent: a primary renal artery angioplasty. J Clin Diagn Res 2017; 11 (09) OD14-OD15
- 15 Mamby SA, Spears JR. Percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty of coronary artery embolism. Cathet Cardiovasc Diagn 1992; 25 (03) 227-229