Fondaparinux: Should It Be Studied in Patients with COVID-19 Disease?
We have read with interest the review article by Bikdeli et al recently published in Thrombosis and Haemostasis on the priority in planning studies on the different anticoagulants in coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) infection. The authors describe the characteristics of both the anticoagulants available today and in the future. Antiplatelets drugs have been also considered.
Surprisingly, fondaparinux (FPX) has reached a lower priority research mean (4.89) than unfractionated heparin (UFH) and low-molecular weight heparin (LMWH) at intermediate (7.82) or therapeutic (7.53) dosage for hospitalized ward and intensive care unit patients.
We believe that properties of these drugs have been overlooked by the scientific panel of the Global COVID-19 Thrombosis Collaborative Group.
16 October 2020 (online)
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Stuttgart · New York
- 1 Bikdeli B, Madhavan MV, Gupta A. ; Global COVID-19 Thrombosis Collaborative Group, et al. Pharmacological agents targeting thromboinflammation in COVID-19: review and implications for future research. Thromb Haemost 2020; 120 (07) 1004-1024
- 2 Kanaan AO, Silva MA, Donovan JL, Roy T, Al-Homsi AS. Meta-analysis of venous thromboembolism prophylaxis in medically ill patients. Clin Ther 2007; 29 (11) 2395-2405
- 3 Di Nisio M, van Es N, Büller HR. Deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism. Lancet 2016; 388 (10063): 3060-3073
- 4 Kearon C, Akl EA, Comerota AJ. et al. Antithrombotic therapy for VTE disease: antithrombotic therapy and prevention of thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines. Chest 2012; 141 (Suppl. 02) e419S-e496S
- 5 Cosmi B. Management of superficial vein thrombosis. J Thromb Haemost 2015; 13 (07) 1175-1183
- 6 Zhai Z, Li C, Chen Y. Prevention Treatment of VTE Associated with COVID-19 Infection Consensus Statement Group. et al. Prevention and treatment of venous thromboembolism associated with coronavirus disease 2019 infection: a consensus statement before guidelines. Thromb Haemost 2020; 120 (06) 937-948
- 7 Spyropoulos AC, Levy JH, Ageno W. Subcommittee on Perioperative, Critical Care Thrombosis, Haemostasis of the Scientific, Standardization Committee of the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis. et al. Scientific and standardization committee communication: clinical guidance on the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of venous thromboembolism in hospitalized patients with COVID-19. J Thromb Haemost 2020; 18 (08) 1859-1865
- 8 Moores LK, Tritschler T, Brosnahan S. et al. Prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of VTE in patients with COVID-19: CHEST Guideline and Expert Panel Report. Chest 2020; S0012-3692 (20) 31625-31621
- 9 Patell R, Khan AM, Bogue T. et al. Heparin induced thrombocytopenia antibodies in Covid-19. Am J Hematol 2020; (e-pub ahead of print). DOI: 10.1002/ajh.25935.
- 10 Liu X, Zhang X, Xiao Y. et al. Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia is associated with a high risk of mortality in critical COVID-19 patients receiving heparin-involved treatment. BMJ Yale 2020; (e-pub ahead of print). DOI: 10.1101/2020.04.23.20076851.
- 11 Riker RR, May TL, Fraser GL. et al. Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia with thrombosis in COVID-19 adult respiratory distress syndrome. Res Pract Thromb Haemost 2020; 4 (05) 936-941
- 12 Hérault JP, Donat F, Bàrzu T. et al. Pharmacokinetic study of three synthetic AT-binding pentasaccharides in various animal species-extrapolation to humans. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 1997; 8 (03) 161-167
- 13 Siegal DM, Curnutte JT, Connolly SJ. et al. Andexanet Alfa for the reversal of factor Xa inhibitor activity. N Engl J Med 2015; 373 (25) 2413-2424
- 14 Babin JL, Traylor KL, Witt DM. Laboratory monitoring of low-molecular-weight heparin and fondaparinux. Semin Thromb Hemost 2017; 43 (03) 261-269
- 15 Barcellona D, Melis M, Floris G. et al. A “catastrophic” heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. Case Rep Med 2020; 2020: 6985020
- 16 Warkentin TE. Fondaparinux for treatment of heparin induced thrombocytopenia. J Am Coll Cardiol 2017; 70 (21) 2649-2651
- 17 Kosior DA, Undas A, Kopeć G. et al. Guidance for anticoagulation management in venous thromboembolism during the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic in Poland: an expert opinion of the Section on Pulmonary Circulation of the Polish Cardiac Society. Kardiol Pol 2020; 78 (06) 642-646
- 18 Ghezzi S, Cooper L, Rubio A. et al. Heparin prevents Zika virus induced-cytopathic effects in human neural progenitor cells. Antiviral Res 2017; 140: 13-17
- 19 Mietzsch M, Broecker F, Reinhardt A, Seeberger PH, Heilbronn R. Differential adeno-associated virus serotype-specific interaction patterns with synthetic heparins and other glycans. J Virol 2014; 88 (05) 2991-3003
- 20 Xie Q, Spear JM, Noble AJ. et al. The 2.8 Å electron microscopy structure of adeno-associated virus-dj bound by a heparinoid pentasaccharide. Mol Ther Methods Clin Dev 2017; 5: 1-12
- 21 Keshari RS, Silasi R, Popescu NI. et al. Fondaparinux pentasaccharide reduces sepsis coagulopathy and promotes survival in the baboon model of Escherichia coli sepsis. J Thromb Haemost 2020; 18 (01) 180-190
- 22 Sarzi-Puttini P, Giorgi V, Sirotti S. et al. COVID-19, cytokines and immunosuppression: what can we learn from severe acute respiratory syndrome?. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2020; 38 (02) 337-342
- 23 Grover SP, Mackman N. Tissue factor: an essential mediator of hemostasis and trigger of thrombosis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2018; 38 (04) 709-725
- 24 Marongiu F, Mameli A, Grandone E, Barcellona D. Pulmonary thrombosis: a clinical pathological entity distinct from pulmonary embolism?. Semin Thromb Hemost 2019; 45 (08) 778-783
- 25 Marongiu F, Grandone E, Barcellona D. Pulmonary thrombosis in 2019-nCoV pneumonia?. J Thromb Haemost 2020; 18 (06) 1511-1513
- 26 Levi M, Thachil J, Iba T, Levy JH. Coagulation abnormalities and thrombosis in patients with COVID-19. Lancet Haematol 2020; 7 (06) e438-e440