Aortic Root Remodeling in Acute Aortic Dissection
Objectives To evaluate the long-term results of remodeling in acute aortic dissection type A (AADA) to define operative risk and root and valve stability.
Methods Between October 1995 and December 2018, a total of 352 patients were treated surgically for AADA. Of these, 90 patients with AADA (<2 weeks from onset; age: 57 ± 15 years; 70 males) with a root diameter of >43 to 45 mm (depending on patient size) (48 ± 4.1 mm) underwent aortic root remodeling and were analyzed further. As the control group, we chose the patients with normally sized aortic roots who had been treated by tubular replacement only (n = 227). Other procedures were performed in 35 cases.
Results Early mortality was 9% in the remodeling group versus 15% in the tubular ascending aortic replacement (TAR). Actuarial survival at 10 and 15 years was 68 ± 5% and 58.3 ± 6.4%, respectively, in the root remodeling group versus 68 ± 4% and 66 ± 4% in the TAR group (p = 0.99). Freedom from reoperation on the aortic valve or root was 95 ± 3% at 10 years and at 89 ± 6% at 15 years. Freedom from proximal reoperation after TAR at 10 and 15 years was 93 ± 3% and 91 ± 3% (n = 31 patients at risk), respectively, not statistically different from that after remodeling (p = 0.75).
Conclusions The long-term stability of aortic root remodeling for enlarged roots with AADA was comparable to TAR preserving a normal aortic root.
Received: 08 April 2020
Accepted: 31 August 2020
01 December 2020 (online)
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Piccardo A, Regesta T, Pansini S. et al. Fate of the aortic valve after root reconstruction in type A aortic dissection: a 20-year follow up. J Heart Valve Dis 2009; 18 (05) 507-513
- 2 Bekkers JA, Raap GB, Takkenberg JJ, Bogers AJ. Acute type A aortic dissection: long-term results and reoperations. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2013; 43 (02) 389-396
- 3 Nakajima T, Kawazoe K, Kataoka T. et al. Midterm results of aortic repair using a fabric neomedia and fibrin glue for type A acute aortic dissection. Ann Thorac Surg 2007; 83 (05) 1615-1620
- 4 Ro SK, Kim JB, Hwang SK. et al. Aortic root conservative repair of acute type A aortic dissection involving the aortic root: fate of the aortic root and aortic valve function. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2013; 146: 1113-1118
- 5 Halstead JC, Spielvogel D, Meier DM. et al. Composite aortic root replacement in acute type A dissection: time to rethink the indications?. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2005; 27 (04) 626-632 , discussion 632–633
- 6 Hammermeister K, Sethi GK, Henderson WG, Grover FL, Oprian C, Rahimtoola SH. Outcomes 15 years after valve replacement with a mechanical versus a bioprosthetic valve: final report of the Veterans Affairs randomized trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000; 36 (04) 1152-1158
- 7 Benedetto U, Melina G, Takkenberg JJ, Roscitano A, Angeloni E, Sinatra R. Surgical management of aortic root disease in Marfan syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Heart 2011; 97 (12) 955-958
- 8 Graeter TP, Langer F, Nikoloudakis N, Aicher D, Schäfers HJ. Valve-preserving operation in acute aortic dissection type A. Ann Thorac Surg 2000; 70 (05) 1460-1465
- 9 Leyh RG, Fischer S, Kallenbach K. et al. High failure rate after valve-sparing aortic root replacement using the “remodeling technique” in acute type A aortic dissection. Circulation 2002; 106 (12) (Suppl. 01) I229-I233
- 10 Erasmi AW, Stierle U, Bechtel JF, Schmidtke C, Sievers HH, Kraatz EG. Up to 7 years' experience with valve-sparing aortic root remodeling/reimplantation for acute type A dissection. Ann Thorac Surg 2003; 76 (01) 99-104
- 11 Kallenbach K, Oelze T, Salcher R. et al. Evolving strategies for treatment of acute aortic dissection type A. Circulation 2004; 110 (11) (Suppl. 01) II243-II249
- 12 Farhat F, Durand M, Boussel L, Sanchez I, Villard J, Jegaden O. Should a reimplantation valve sparing procedure be done systematically in type A aortic dissection?. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2007; 31 (01) 36-41
- 13 Subramanian S, Leontyev S, Borger MA, Trommer C, Misfeld M, Mohr FW. Valve-sparing root reconstruction does not compromise survival in acute type A aortic dissection. Ann Thorac Surg 2012; 94 (04) 1230-1234
- 14 Urbanski PP, Hijazi H, Dinstak W, Diegeler A. Valve-sparing aortic root repair in acute type A dissection: how many sinuses have to be repaired for curative surgery?. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2013; 44 (03) 439-443 , discussion 443–444
- 15 Leshnower BG, Myung RJ, McPherson L, Chen EP. Midterm results of David V valve-sparing aortic root replacement in acute type A aortic dissection. Ann Thorac Surg 2015; 99 (03) 795-800 , discussion 800–801
- 16 Beckmann E, Martens A, Alhadi FA. et al. Is the Bentall procedure still the gold standard for acute aortic dissection with aortic root involvement?. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2016; 64 (02) 116-123
- 17 Kunihara T, Neumann N, Kriechbaum SD, Aicher D, Schäfers HJ. Aortic root remodeling leads to good valve stability in acute aortic dissection and preexistent root dilatation. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2016; 152 (02) 430-436.e1
- 18 Lancellotti P, Tribouilloy C, Hagendorff A. Scientific Document Committee of the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging. , et al; Recommendations for the echocardiographic assessment of native valvular regurgitation: an executive summary from the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging 2013; 14 (07) 611-644
- 19 Kunihara T, Aicher D, Rodionycheva S. et al. Preoperative aortic root geometry and postoperative cusp configuration primarily determine long-term outcome after valve-preserving aortic root repair. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2012; 143 (06) 1389-1395
- 20 Aicher D, Schneider U, Schmied W, Kunihara T, Tochii M, Schäfers HJ. Early results with annular support in reconstruction of the bicuspid aortic valve. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2013; 145 (03) S30-S34
- 21 Schäfers HJ, Bierbach B, Aicher D. A new approach to the assessment of aortic cusp geometry. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2006; 132 (02) 436-438
- 22 Kunihara T, Dzindzibadze V, Aicher D, Schäfers HJ. Bidirectional cavopulmonary shunt for acute right ventricular failure in an adult patient. Ann Thorac Surg 2004; 78 (03) 1066-1068
- 23 Di Eusanio M, Patel HJ, Nienaber CA. et al. Patients with type A acute aortic dissection presenting with major brain injury: should we operate on them?. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2013; 145 (03) S213-21.e1
- 24 Di Eusanio M, Trimarchi S, Patel HJ. et al. Clinical presentation, management, and short-term outcome of patients with type A acute dissection complicated by mesenteric malperfusion: observations from the International Registry of Acute Aortic Dissection. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2013; 145 (02) 385-390.e1
- 25 Immer FF, Aeschimann R, Englberger L. et al. Resuspension of the aortic valve in acute type A dissection: long-term results. J Heart Valve Dis 2008; 17 (01) 94-97 , discussion 97
- 26 Schäfers HJ. Root replacement in acute dissection type A-A superior procedure?. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2018; 155 (01) 8-9
- 27 Schneider U, Ehrlich T, Karliova I, Giebels C, Schäfers HJ. Valve-sparing aortic root replacement in patients with Marfan syndrome-the Homburg experience. Ann Cardiothorac Surg 2017; 6 (06) 697-703
- 28 Saczkowski R, Malas T, Mesana T, de Kerchove L, El Khoury G, Boodhwani M. Aortic valve preservation and repair in acute type A aortic dissection. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2014; 45 (06) e220-e226
- 29 Lai DT, Miller DC, Mitchell RS. et al. Acute type A aortic dissection complicated by aortic regurgitation: composite valve graft versus separate valve graft versus conservative valve repair. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2003; 126 (06) 1978-1986