The Acoustic Transparency of Waterproof Smartphone Cases
Phone use is a critical communication event in many people's lives. Audiologists have aimed to assist individuals with hearing loss and phone usage through the use of technology and counseling. To counsel effectively, all contributions to hearing difficulty on the phone must be considered, including the effects of smartphone cases. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effects on dB output caused by waterproof smartphone cases that cover the ear-level speaker. One waterproof case was tested with three smartphones, two iPhones, and one Android. A second waterproof case was tested with the two iPhones. Results revealed there was significant attenuation of the audio-signal by both waterproof smartphone cases that was great enough in one case/phone combination to potentially result in a complete lack of intelligibility of the signal.
16 December 2020 (online)
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Anderson M. Mobile Technology and Home Broadband 2019. Pew Research Center: Internet, Science & Tech; . Published June 23, 2020. Accessed August 9, 2020 at: https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/2019/06/13/mobile-technology-and-home-broadband-2019/
- 2 Zitelli L, Mormer E. Smartphones & hearing loss – there's an app for that. Semin Hear 2020; 41 (04) 264-274
- 3 Tittle S, Thibodeau L, Panahi I. et al. Behavioral validation of the smartphone for remote microphone technology. Semin Hear 2020; 41 (04) 289-299
- 4 Quick Statistics about Hearing. National Institute of Deafness and Other Communication Disorders; . Published October 5, 2018. Accessed August 9, 2020 at: https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/statistics/quick-statistics-hearing
- 5 Hood J, Poole P. Speech audiometry in conductive and sensorineural hearing loss. Br J Audiol 1971; 5 (02) 30-38
- 6 LifeProof Google+. LifeProof Cases & Gear. Accessed August 9, 2020 at: https://www.LifeProof.com/en-us/iphone-6s/fre-for-iphone-6-iphone-6s/lpfr-apl-iph15.html
- 7 The Enclosure Company—The Electrical Enclosure Specialists. Published 2020. Accessed August 9, 2020 at: http://www.enclosurecompany.com/ip-ratings-explained.php
- 8 Black B. LifeProof iPhone case: Protecting against water, dirt, snow and shock. ITS Tactical; . Published March 5, 2014. Accessed August 9, 2020 at: https://www.itstactical.com/digicom/comms/LifeProof-iphone-case-protecting-against-water-dirt-snow-and-shock/
- 9 Pierce A. Waterproofing electronics – evolution to revolution. Tech Dir 2012; 71 (09) 8-9
- 10 Frye Electronics, Inc. Fonix 7000 Hearing Aid Test System: Operator's Manual Version 1.70. Accessed June 2020 at: http://www.frye.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013b/manuals/7000.pdf
- 11 Chasin M. Five differences between speech and music for hearing aids. Audiology Online. Published September 2, 2003. Accessed August 9, 2020 at: https://www.audiologyonline.com/articles/five-differences-between-speech-and-1116