Case Series of Three Patients with Rifampicin-Induced Thrombocytopenia
Life-threatening adverse reactions of antitubercular drugs are uncommon; however, thrombocytopenia is one such rare complication encountered with rifampicin, isoniazid, ethambutol, and pyrazinamide. Rifampicin is the most effective drug and its use in the tuberculosis treatment led to the emergence of modern and effective short-course regimens. I am reporting case series of three patients with pulmonary tuberculosis presented with rifampicin-induced thrombocytopenia.
16 October 2020 (online)
© 2020. Nitte University (Deemed to be University). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Shinde KM, Pore SM, Bapat TR. Adverse reactions to first-line anti-tuberculous agents in hospitalized patients: pattern, causality, severity and risk factors. Indian J Med Spec. 2013; 4: 1-4
- 2 George JN, Raskob GE, Shah SR. et al. Drug-induced thrombocytopenia: a systematic review of published case reports. Ann Intern Med 1998; 129 (11) 886-890
- 3 Girling DJ, Hitze KL. Adverse reactions to rifampicin. Bull World Health Organ 1979; 57 (01) 45-49
- 4 Wazny LD, Ariano RE. Evaluation and management of drug-induced thrombocytopenia in the acutely ill patient. Pharmacotherapy 2000; 20 (03) 292-307
- 5 Di Berardino L, Perna G, Silvestri LG. Antibodies against rifampin in patients with tuberculosis after discontinuation of daily treatment. Am Rev Respir Dis 1976; 114 (06) 1189-1190
- 6 Ross JD, Horne NW. Drugs used in chemotherapy. In: Horne NW. ed. Modern Drug Treatment of Tuberculosis. 1st Indian ed. New Delhi: Oxford University Press; 1992: 1-17
- 7 Prasad R, Mukerji PK. Rifampicin induced thrombocytopenia. Indian J Tuberc 1989; 36: 44
- 8 Jain VK, Vardhan H, Prakash OM. Pyrazinamide induced thrombocytopenia. Tubercle 1988; 69 (03) 217-218
- 9 Mitta A, Curtis BR, Reese JA, George JN. Drug-induced thrombocytopenia: 2019 update of clinical and laboratory data. Am J Hematol 2019; 94 (03) E76-E78
- 10 Garg R, Gupta V, Mehra S, Singh R, Prasad R. Rifampicin induced thrombocytopenia. Indian J Tuberc 2007; 54 (02) 94-96
- 11 Blajchman MA, Lowry RC, Pettit JE, Stradling P. Rifampicin-induced immune thrombocytopenia. BMJ 1970; 3 (5713) 24-26
- 12 Ackroyd JF. The pathogenesis of thrombocytopenic purpura due to hypersensitivity to sedormid. Clin Sci 1949; 7 (3-4) 249-285