Neonatal Escherichia coli Meningitis, Complications, and Neurological Outcome
Neonatal bacterial meningitis represents a major cause of mortality and morbidity in newborns worldwide. It leads to immediate and long-term neurological complications. We report a case of a term newborn with an unremarkable pregnancy and delivery, who was admitted to our neonatal ward on the fifth day of life for fever. Cerebrospinal fluid culture was positive for Escherichia coli. The infant had neurological deterioration and continued fever despite adequate antibiotic therapy. Brain MRI showed multiple subdural abscesses with ventriculitis. Antibiotic therapy was maintained for 90 days with total resolution of the abscesses. The child has a normal physical examination and appropriate psychomotor development at 9 months of age.
Received: 09 July 2020
Accepted: 02 September 2020
09 October 2020 (online)
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Stuttgart · New York
- 1 Kim KS. Current concepts on the pathogenesis of Escherichia coli meningitis: implications for therapy and prevention. Curr Opin Infect Dis 2012; 25 (03) 273-278
- 2 Korhonen TK, Valtonen MV, Parkkinen J. et al. Serotypes, hemolysin production, and receptor recognition of Escherichia coli strains associated with neonatal sepsis and meningitis. Infect Immun 1985; 48 (02) 486-491
- 3 Dellagrammaticas HD, Christodoulou C, Megaloyanni E, Papadimitriou M, Kapetanakis J, Kourakis G. Treatment of gram-negative bacterial meningitis in term neonates with third generation cephalosporins plus amikacin. Biol Neonate 2000; 77 (03) 139-146
- 4 Chang YC, Huang CC, Wang ST, Chio CC. Risk factor of complications requiring neurosurgical intervention in infants with bacterial meningitis. Pediatr Neurol 1997; 17 (02) 144-149
- 5 Harvey D, Holt DE, Bedford H. Bacterial meningitis in the newborn: a prospective study of mortality and morbidity. Semin Perinatol 1999; 23 (03) 218-225
- 6 El-Naggar W, Afifi J, McMillan D. Canadian Neonatal Network Investigators. et al. Epidemiology of meningitis in Canadian neonatal intensive care Units. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2019; 38 (05) 476-480
- 7 Xu M, Hu L, Huang H. et al. Etiology and clinical features of full-term neonatal bacterial meningitis: a multicenter retrospective cohort study. Front Pediatr 2019; 7 (FEB): 31
- 8 Barichello T, Dagostim VS, Generoso JS. et al. Neonatal Escherichia coli K1 meningitis causes learning and memory impairments in adulthood. J Neuroimmunol 2014; 272 (1-2): 35-41