Subscribe to RSS
Does Periodontal Treatment Help in Arterial Hypertension Control? A Systematic Review of LiteratureFunding None.
Arterial hypertension and periodontal diseases are two of the pathologies with more prevalence worldwide. In the last few years, several scientific evidences have demonstrated the relationship between both diseases. Besides the etiopathogenic and causal relationship, some recent publications have pointed out that the therapeutic approach of periodontitis could have positive effects on the control of arterial hypertension.
The aim of this systematic review is to determine whether there is a decrease in or better control of blood pressure after performing nonsurgical periodontal treatment in patients with periodontitis.
A thorough search in PubMed, Scopus, and ISI Web of Science databases with the keywords “‘periodontal disease’ OR ‘periodontitis’ OR ‘periodontal’ AND ‘blood pressure’ OR ‘hypertension’ OR ‘arterial hypertension’” was conducted. The quality of the reported information was assessed following the Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses (PRISMA) statement for systematic reviews.
Eight articles were considered for this systematic review. Five of the studies showed statistically significant reduction in systolic blood pressure (SBP) values.
Despite the limitations of the review, nonsurgical treatment of periodontal disease seems to reduce SBP values. Further research with larger and longer-term clinical trials are needed to demonstrate this potential positive effect.
08 October 2020 (online)
© 2020. European Journal of Dentistry. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Ford ES. Trends in mortality from all causes and cardiovascular disease among hypertensive and nonhypertensive adults in the United States. Circulation 2011; 123 (16) 1737-1744
- 2 Williams B, Mancia G, Spiering W. et al. ESC Scientific Document Group. 2018 ESC/ESH Guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension. Eur Heart J 2018; 39 (33) 3021-3104
- 3 Lionakis N, Mendrinos D, Sanidas E, Favatas G, Georgopoulou M. Hypertension in the elderly. World J Cardiol 2012; 4 (05) 135-147
- 4 Albandar JM, Rams TE. Global epidemiology of periodontal diseases: an overview. Periodontol 2000 2002; 29 (01) 7-10
- 5 Sanz M, D’aiuto F, Deanfield J, Fernandez-Avilés F. European workshop in periodontal health and cardiovascular disease—scientific evidence on the association between periodontal and cardiovascular diseases: A review of the literature. Eur Hear J Suppl 2010;12(Suppl B) B3-B12
- 6 Tonetti MS, Van Dyke TE. Working Group 1 of the Joint EFP/AAP Workshop. Periodontitis and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease: consensus report of the Joint EFP/AAP Workshop on Periodontitis and Systemic Diseases. J Clin Periodontol 2013; 40 (Suppl. 14) S24-S29
- 7 Tsakos G, Sabbah W, Hingorani AD. et al. Is periodontal inflammation associated with raised blood pressure? Evidence from a national US survey. J Hypertens 2010; 28 (12) 2386-2393
- 8 Martin-Cabezas R, Seelam N, Petit C. et al. Association between periodontitis and arterial hypertension: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Am Heart J 2016; 180: 98-112
- 9 Muñoz Aguilera E, Suvan J, Buti J. et al. Periodontitis is associated with hypertension: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Cardiovasc Res 2020; 116 (01) 28-39
- 10 Vidal F, Cordovil I, Figueredo CMS, Fischer RG. Non-surgical periodontal treatment reduces cardiovascular risk in refractory hypertensive patients: A pilot study. J Clin Periodontol 2013; 40 (07) 681-687
- 11 Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG. PRISMA Group. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. PLoS Med 2009; 6 (07) e1000097
- 12 Papapanou PN, Sanz M, Buduneli N. et al. Periodontitis: Consensus report of workgroup 2 of the 2017 World Workshop on the Classification of Periodontal and Peri-Implant Diseases and Conditions. J Periodontol 2018; 89 (Suppl. 01) S173-S182
- 13 Caton JG, Armitage G, Berglundh T, et al. A new classification scheme for periodontal and peri-implant diseases and conditions - Introduction and key changes from the 1999 classification. J Periodontol 2018;89(Suppl 1):S1–S8
- 14 Tonetti MS, Greenwell H, Kornman KS. Staging and grading of periodontitis: Framework and proposal of a new classification and case definition [published correction appears in J Periodontol 2018 Dec;89(12):1475]. J Periodontol. 2018;89(Suppl 1):S159-S172
- 15 D’Aiuto F, Parkar M, Nibali L, Suvan J, Lessem J, Tonetti MS. Periodontal infections cause changes in traditional and novel cardiovascular risk factors: results from a randomized controlled clinical trial. Am Heart J 2006; 151 (05) 977-984
- 16 Bizzarro S, van der Velden U, Teeuw WJ, Gerdes VEA, Loos BG. Effect of periodontal therapy with systemic antimicrobials on parameters of metabolic syndrome: A randomized clinical trial. J Clin Periodontol 2017; 44 (08) 833-841
- 17 Taylor B, Tofler G, Morel-Kopp M-C. et al. The effect of initial treatment of periodontitis on systemic markers of inflammation and cardiovascular risk: A randomized controlled trial. Eur J Oral Sci 2010; 118 (04) 350-356
- 18 Hada DS, Garg S, Ramteke GB, Ratre MS. Effect of non-surgical periodontal treatment on clinical and biochemical risk markers of cardiovascular disease: A randomized trial. J Periodontol 2015; 86 (11) 1201-1211
- 19 Zhou Q-B, Xia W-H, Ren J. et al. Effect of intensive periodontal therapy on blood pressure and endothelial microparticles in patients with prehypertension and periodontitis: a randomized controlled trial. J Periodontol 2017; 88 (08) 711-722
- 20 Jockel-Schneider Y, Bechtold M, Haubitz I. et al. Impact of anti-infective periodontal therapy on parameters of vascular health. J Clin Periodontol 2018; 45 (03) 354-363
- 21 Houcken W, Teeuw WJ, Bizzarro S. et al. Arterial stiffness in periodontitis patients and controls. A case-control and pilot intervention study. J Hum Hypertens 2016; 30 (01) 24-29
- 22 Al-Ahmad BEM, Kashmoola MA, Mustafa NS, Hassan H, Arzmi MH. The relationship between tooth loss, body mass index, and hypertension in postmenopausal female. Eur J Dent 2018; 12 (01) 120-122