Experience and Technique for Zenker's Diverticulum Per Oral Endoscopic Myotomy: Z-POEM
Objective With the advent of minimally invasive surgery, incisionless surgery, and third-space endoscopy, the treatment for Zenker's diverticulum has also moved toward less invasive techniques
Methods New incisionless per oral techniques can be applied for cricopharyngeal myotomy in Zenker's diverticulum.
Results Five patients underwent Zenker's diverticulum per oral endoscopic myotomy (Z-POEM) without complications, minimal discomfort, and narcotic consumption, with complete resolution of their symptoms by history and Eckardt scores.
Conclusions Z-POEM is performed entirely endoscopically with very little associated pain or complication rates, with short-term follow-up having excellent functional and symptomatic results.
The authors have nothing to disclose.
Received: 14 July 2020
Accepted: 21 August 2020
21 October 2020 (online)
© 2020. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Ludlow A. A case of obstructed deglutition from a preternatural dilatation of and bag formed in the pharynx. Med Observ Inq 1769; 3: 85-101
- 2 Mosher HP. Webs and pouches of the esophagus, their diagnosis and treatment. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1917; 25: 175-187
- 3 Stewart K, Sen P. Pharyngeal pouch management: an historical review. J Laryngol Otol 2016; 130 (02) 116-120
- 4 Collard JM, Otte JB, Kestens PJ. Endoscopic stapling technique of esophagodiverticulostomy for Zenker's diverticulum. Ann Thorac Surg 1993; 56 (03) 573-576
- 5 Weerda H, Pedersen P, Wehmer H, Braune H. A new laryngoscope for endolaryngeal microsurgery. A contribution to injector respiration (author's transl) [in German]. Arch Otorhinolaryngol 1979; 225 (02) 103-106
- 6 Mulder CJ, Costamagna G, Sakai P. Zenker's diverticulum: treatment using a flexible endoscope. Endoscopy 2001; 33 (11) 991-997
- 7 Yang J, Novak S, Ujiki M. et al. An international study on the use of peroral endoscopic myotomy in the management of Zenker's diverticulum. Gastrointest Endosc 2020; 91 (01) 163-168
- 8 Repici A, Spadaccini M, Belletrutti PJ. et al. Peroral endoscopic septotomy for short-septum Zenker's diverticulum. Endoscopy 2020; 52 (07) 563-568
- 9 Bonavina L, Aiolfi A, Scolari F, Bona D, Lovece A, Asti E. Long-term outcome and quality of life after transoral stapling for Zenker diverticulum. World J Gastroenterol 2015; 21 (04) 1167-1172
- 10 Bahsi S, Rustemova N, Vosoughi K. et al. Zenker's diverticulum peroral endoscopic myotomy using a scissors-type knife. Endoscopy 2019; 51 (08) E231-E232