Role of Transesophageal Echocardiography in Retrieval of Dislodged Atrial Septal Defect Device Occluder
Transcatheter atrial septal defect (ASD) device closure has emerged as a safe and effective alternative procedure for surgical ASD repair. However, ASD device malposition and embolization has been reported with an incidence of 0.5 to 1.1%. We report here a case of a 32-year-old male, who presented to the hospital 5 months after ASD device closure for routine follow-up. This case reports highlights the significance of transesophageal echocardiography (TEE) evaluation in successful surgical retrieval of a dislodged ASD Amplatzer device.
08 October 2020 (online)
© 2020. Official Publication of The Simulation Society (TSS), accredited by International Society of Cardiovascular Ultrasound ISCU. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/.)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Moore J, Hegde S, El-Said H. et al. ACC IMPACT Steering Committee. Transcatheter device closure of atrial septal defects: a safety review. JACC Cardiovasc Interv 2013; 6 (05) 433-442
- 2 Fischer G, Stieh J, Uebing A, Hoffmann U, Morf G, Kramer HH. Experience with transcatheter closure of secundum atrial septal defects using the Amplatzer septal occluder: a single centre study in 236 consecutive patients. Heart 2003; 89 (02) 199-204
- 3 Du ZD, Hijazi ZM, Kleinman CS, Silverman NH, Larntz K. Amplatzer Investigators. Comparison between transcatheter and surgical closure of secundum atrial septal defect in children and adults: results of a multicenter nonrandomized trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 2002; 39 (11) 1836-1844
- 4 Levi DS, Moore JW. Embolization and retrieval of the Amplatzer septal occluder. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2004; 61 (04) 543-547
- 5 Ussia GP, Abella R, Pome G. et al. Chronic embolization of an atrial septal occluder device: percutaneous or surgical retrieval? A case report. J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown) 2007; 8 (03) 197-200
- 6 Chan KT, Cheng BC. Retrieval of an embolized amplatzer septal occluder. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2010; 75 (03) 465-468
- 7 Errahmouni A, Hattaoui ME, Drighil A, Boumzebra D. Silent embolization of an Amplatzer septal occluder into the left ventricular outflow tract requiring emergent surgical retrieval. Ann Pediatr Cardiol 2012; 5 (01) 89-91
- 8 Nath RK, Pandit N. Asymptomatic late embolization of Amplatzer septal occluder device. Indian Heart J 2017; 69 (03) 338-340