Considerations for the Care of Women with Gynecological Cancers during the COVID-19 PandemicSource of Funding Nil.
Delivering care for patients with cancer during the COVID-19 pandemic can pose a significant challenge, given the fact that cancer patients face a higher risk of morbidity and mortality from the infection. Outcomes in gynecological cancers are heavily stage-dependent, ranging from 5-year survival 95% in early stage to less than 15% in advanced stages. Early diagnosis and timely treatment are therefore of the utmost importance, but they should be balanced, considering the availability of local expertise and resources and the local pandemic status. This article outlines the management guidelines for the care of women with gynecological malignancies during the COVID-19 pandemic.
05 October 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Mehta V, Goel S, Kabarriti R. et al. Case fatality rate of cancer patients with COVID-19 in a New York hospital system. Cancer Discov 2020; 10 (07) 935-941
- 2 Martinelli F, Garbi A. Change in practice in gynecologic oncology during the COVID-19 pandemic: a social media survey. Int J Gynecol Cancer 2020; 30 (08) 1101-1107
- 3 De Guzman R, Malik M. Dual challenge of cancer and COVID-19: impact on health care and socioeconomic systems in Asia Pacific. JCO Glob Oncol 2020; 6: 906-912
- 4 Bogani G, Casarin J, Pinelli C. et al. Management of patients with ovarian cancer in the COVID-19 era. J Surg Oncol 2020; 122 (02) 122-123
- 5 Hanna TP, Evans GA, Booth CM. Cancer, COVID-19 and the precautionary principle: prioritizing treatment during a global pandemic. Nat Rev Clin Oncol 2020; 17 (05) 268-270
- 6 ESMO Management and Treatment Adapted Recommendations In The COVID-19 Era: Cervical Cancer. Available at: https://www.esmo.org/guidelines/cancer-patient-management-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/gynaecological-malignancies-cervical-cancer-in-the-covid-19-era. Accessed August 24, 2020
- 7 Pandemic Planning Clinical Guideline for Patients With Cancer Available at: https://www.accc-cancer.org/docs/documents/cancer-program-fundamentals/oh-cco-pandemic-planning-clinical-guideline_final_2020-03-10.pdf. Accessed August 24, 2020
- 8 [No authors listed] Recommendations for gynecologic cancer care during the COVID-19 pandemic. J Gynecol Oncol 2020; 31 (04) e69 DOI: 10.3802/jgo.2020.31.e69.
- 9 Ramirez PT, Chiva L, Eriksson AGZ. et al. COVID-19 global pandemic: options for management of gynecologic cancers. Int J Gynecol Cancer 2020; 30 (05) 561-563
- 10 Elledge CR, Beriwal S, Chargari C. et al. Radiation therapy for gynecologic malignancies during the COVID-19 pandemic: International expert consensus recommendations. Gynecol Oncol 2020; 158 (02) 244-253