Report of the First Training the Colonoscopy Trainers Courses Held in India
Background and Aim Training the colonoscopy trainers (TCT) courses have become widespread in the United Kingdom and elsewhere but have never taken place in India. This is an account of the first such course delivered in India with an attempt to demonstrate its impact on the training knowledge and abilities of the delegates.
Materials and Methods Twelve independent colonoscopists, all with a training remit, underwent a structured 2-day TCT course. They were asked retrospectively to self-assess their knowledge and training skills across a number of metrics using a 1–10 scale, before and after attending the course.
Statistical Analysis Scores were analyzed by the Wilcoxon’s two-tail test
Results Delegates training knowledge and skills improved significantly across all seven metrics (p < 0.01 for all).
Conclusion The TCT is highly suitable in the Indian endoscopic environment and very effective in improving the training knowledge and skills of even experienced colonoscopists.
30 September 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Jørgensen OD, Kronborg O, Fenger C. A randomised study of screening for colorectal cancer using faecal occult blood testing: results after 13 years and seven biennial screening rounds. Gut 2002; 50 (01) 29-32
- 2 Scholefield JH, Moss S, Sufi F, Mangham CM, Hardcastle JD. Effect of faecal occult blood screening on mortality from colorectal cancer: results from a randomised controlled trial. Gut 2002; 50 (06) 840-844
- 3 Scholefield JH, Moss SM, Mangham CM, Whynes DK, Hardcastle JD. Nottingham trial of faecal occult blood testing for colorectal cancer: a 20-year follow-up. Gut 2012; 61 (07) 1036-1040
- 4 Bowles CJ, Leicester R, Romaya C, Swarbrick E, Williams CB, Epstein O. A prospective study of colonoscopy practice in the UK today: are we adequately prepared for national colorectal cancer screening tomorrow?. Gut 2004; 53 (02) 277-283
- 5 JETS - JAG Endoscopy Training System [online]. Available at: https://www.jets.nhs.uk/TrainingCentres.aspx. Accessed on 2 September 2020
- 6 JAG [online]. Available at: https://www.thejag.org.uk. Accessed 2 September 2020
- 7 Gavin DR, Valori RM, Anderson JT, Donnelly MT, Williams JG, Swarbrick ET. The national colonoscopy audit: a nationwide assessment of the quality and safety of colonoscopy in the UK. Gut 2013; 62 (02) 242-249
- 8 Waschke KA, Anderson J, Macintosh D, Valori RM. Training the gastrointestinal endoscopy trainer. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 2016; 30 (03) 409-419
- 9 Williams CB, Thomas-Gibson S. Rational colonoscopy, realistic simulation, and accelerated teaching. Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am 2006; 16 (03) 457-470