Evaluation of Galectin-3 as a Novel Diagnostic Biomarker in Patients with Heart Failure with Preserved Ejection FractionFunding This study was self-funded.
Background Heart failure is a complex cardiovascular disease with a variety of etiologies and heterogeneity. The N-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptide (NT-proBNP) value has limited usefulness in diagnosing heart failure with preserved ejection fraction (HFpEF).
Aim The aim of the present study is to evaluate serum Galectin-3 as a diagnostic biomarker in patients with HFpEF and to compare Galectin-3 with NT-proBNP levels.
Materials and Methods A cross-sectional case–control study including 63 cases of heart failure with ejection fraction ≥50% confirmed by echocardiography. NT-proBNP levels in serum were measured by electrochemiluminescence immunoassay and Galectin-3 levels in serum were measured by using an enzyme-linked-immunosorbent serologic assay kit.
Results The median levels of serum Galectin-3 and NT-proBNP in patients were significantly higher than those of controls (26.59 vs. 5.27 and 927 vs. 49.3, p < 0.0001). A positive correlation was observed between serum levels of Galection-3 and NT-ProBNP (r: 0.21, p = 0.048). At cut-off values of 10.1 ng/mL and 160 pg/mL, serum Galectin-3 has 77.78% sensitivity, 95% specificity with an area under the curve (AUC) of 0.93, and serum NT-proBNP has 71.43% sensitivity, 100% specificity with an AUC of 0.87, respectively, for diagnosing HFpEF. The comparison of receiver operating characteristics curves showed that Galectin-3 has better AUC compared with NT-proBNP in diagnosing HFpEF. Serum Galectin-3 showed a positive correlation with NT-proBNP and lipid parameters.
Conclusion Galectin-3 with higher sensitivity and AUC can be used as a valuable biomarker for the diagnosis of HFpEF. Simultaneous testing of both Galectin-3 and NT-proBNP can further improve the detection of patients with HFpEF.
01 September 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Ambrosy AP, Fonarow GC, Butler J. et al. The global health and economic burden of hospitalizations for heart failure: lessons learned from hospitalized heart failure registries. J Am Coll Cardiol 2014; 63 (12) 1123-1133
- 2 De Boer RA, Pinto YM, Van Veldhuisen DJ. The imbalance between oxygen demand and supply as a potential mechanism in the pathophysiology of heart failure: the role of microvascular growth and abnormalities. Microcirculation 2003; 10 (02) 113-126
- 3 Chow SL, Maisel AS, Anand I. et al. The role of biomarkers for the prevention, assessment, and management of heart failure. a consensus statement for healthcare professions from the American Heart Association. Circulation 2017; 135: e1054-e1091
- 4 van Kimmenade RR, Januzzi Jr JL. Emerging biomarkers in heart failure. Clin Chem 2012; 58 (01) 127-138
- 5 Ibrahim N, Januzzi JL. The potential role of natriuretic peptides and other biomarkers in heart failure diagnosis, prognosis and management. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 2015; 13 (09) 1017-1030
- 6 Braunwald E. Biomarkers in heart failure. N Engl J Med 2008; 358 (20) 2148-2159
- 7 de Boer RA, Voors AA, Muntendam P, van Gilst WH, van Veldhuisen DJ. Galectin-3: a novel mediator of heart failure development and progression. Eur J Heart Fail 2009; 11 (09) 811-817
- 8 de Oliveira FL, Gatto M, Bassi N. et al. Galectin-3 in autoimmunity and autoimmune diseases. Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 2015; 240 (08) 1019-1028
- 9 Chen SC, Kuo PL. The role of galectin-3 in the kidneys. Int J Mol Sci 2016; 17 (04) 565
- 10 Shin T. The pleiotropic effects of galectin-3 in neuroinflammation: a review. Acta Histochem 2013; 115 (05) 407-411
- 11 Henderson NC, Sethi T. The regulation of inflammation by galectin-3. Immunol Rev 2009; 230 (01) 160-171
- 12 Schindler EI, Szymanski JJ, Hock KG, Geltman EM, Scott MG. Short- and long-term biologic variability of galectin-3and other cardiac biomarkers in patients with stable heart failure and healthy adults. Clin Chem 2016; 62 (02) 360-366
- 13 Issa SF, Christensen AF, Lottenburger T. et al. Within-day variation and influence of physical exercise on circulating Galectin-3 in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and healthy individuals. Scand J Immunol 2015; 82 (01) 70-75
- 14 Yu L, Ruifrok WP, Meissner M. et al. Genetic and pharmacological inhibition of galectin-3 prevents cardiac remodeling by interfering with myocardial fibrogenesis. Circ Heart Fail 2013; 6 (01) 107-117
- 15 Yin QS, Shi B, Dong L, Bi L. Comparative study of galectin-3 and B-type natriuretic peptide as biomarkers for the diagnosis of heart failure. J Geriatr Cardiol 2014; 11 (01) 79-82
- 16 de Boer RA, Edelmann F, Cohen-Solal A, Mamas MA, Maisel A, Pieske B. Galectin-3 in heart failure with preserved ejection fraction. Eur J Heart Fail 2013; 15 (10) 1095-1101
- 17 de Boer RA, Lok DJ, Jaarsma T. et al. Predictive value of plasma galectin-3 levels in heart failure with reduced and preserved ejection fraction. Ann Med 2011; 43 (01) 60-68
- 18 Milting H, Ellinghaus P, Seewald M. et al. Plasma biomarkers of myocardial fibrosis and remodeling in terminal heart failure patients supported by mechanical circulatory support devices. J Heart Lung Transplant 2008; 27 (06) 589-596
- 19 Hara A, Niwa M, Noguchi K. et al. Galectin-3 as a next-generation biomarker for detecting early stage of various diseases. Biomolecules 2020; 10 (03) 389
- 20 Oikonomou E, Karlis D, Tsalamadris S. et al. Galectin-3 and arterial stiffness in patients with heart failure: a pilot study. Curr Vasc Pharmacol 2019; 17 (04) 396-400
- 21 Ahmad T, Felker GM. Galectin-3 in heart failure: more answers or more questions?. J Am Heart Assoc 2012; 1 (05) e004374
- 22 Shah RV, Chen-Tournoux AA, Picard MH. van Kimmenade RR, Januzzi JL. Galectin-3, cardiac structure and function, and long-term mortality in patients with acutely decompensated heart failure. Eur J Heart Fail 2010; 12 (08) 826-832
- 23 Gopal DM, Kommineni M, Ayalon N. et al. Relationship of plasma galectin-3 to renal function in patients with heart failure: effects of clinical status, pathophysiology of heart failure, and presence or absence of heart failure. J Am Heart Assoc 2012; 1 (05) e000760
- 24 Chen K, Jiang RJ, Wang CQ. et al. Predictive value of plasma galectin-3 in patients with chronic heart failure. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 2013; 17 (08) 1005-1011
- 25 Polat V, Bozcali E, Uygun T, Opan S, Karakaya O. Diagnostic significance of serum galectin-3 levels in heart failure with preserved ejection fraction. Acta Cardiol 2016; 71 (02) 191-197
- 26 Zile MR, De Santis SM, Baicuetal CF. Plasmagalectin3 levels in patinets with structural and clinical manifestation of hypertensive heart disease: relationship to determination of matrix composition. Circulation 2010; 122: 320-327
- 27 Asleh R, Enriquez-Sarano M, Jaffe AS. et al. Galectin-3 levels and outcomes after myocardial infarction: a population-based study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2019; 73 (18) 2286-2295
- 28 Zhang H, Li J, Han H. Diagnostic value of combined detection of galectin-3 and N-terminal B-type natriuretic peptide in patients with acute heart failure. World J Cardiovasc Dis 2018; 8: 208-216
- 29 Hamdy Rm, Mohamed La, Abdel-Rahman T, El-Malah Aa, Abd-Allah Ma. Clinical and echocardiographic correlation of galectin-3 in well defined heart failure patients. Al-Azhar Assiut Med J 2014; 12 (04) 1687-1693
- 30 Lok DJA, Van Der Meer P, de la Porte PW. et al. Prognostic value of galectin-3, a novel marker of fibrosis, in patients with chronic heart failure: data from the DEAL-HF study. Clin Res Cardiol 2010; 99 (05) 323-328
- 31 Gao Z, Liu Z, Wang R, Zheng Y, Li H, Yang L. Galectin-3 is a potential mediator for atherosclerosis. J Immunol Res 2020; 2020: 5284728
- 32 Velagaleti RS, Massaro J, Vasan RS, Robins SJ, Kannel WB, Levy D. Relations of lipid concentrations to heart failure incidence: the Framingham Heart Study. Circulation 2009; 120 (23) 2345-2351
- 33 Voulgari C, Tentolouris N, Dilaveris P, Tousoulis D, Katsilambros N, Stefanadis C. Increased heart failure risk in normal-weight people with metabolic syndrome compared with metabolically healthy obese individuals. J Am Coll Cardiol 2011; 58 (13) 1343-1350
- 34 Bahrami H, Bluemke DA, Kronmal R. et al. Novel metabolic risk factors for incident heart failure and their relationship with obesity: the MESA (Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis) study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008; 51 (18) 1775-1783
- 35 Suthahar N, Meijers WC, Silljé HH, Ho JE, Liu FT, de Boer RA. Galectin-3 activation and inhibition in heart failure and cardiovascular disease: an update. Theranostics 2018; 8 (03) 593-609
- 36 Oyenuga A, Folsom AR, Fashanu O, Aguilar D, Ballantyne CM. Plasma Galedtin-3 and sonographic measures of carotid atherosclerosis in the atherosclerosis risk in communities (ARIC) study. Angiology 2019; 70 (01) 47-55