Z-POEM as a Treatment Option for Zenker’s Diverticulum: Our Experience at a Tertiary Care Centre in India
Background This study was aimed to evaluate efficacy and safety of Z–peroral endoscopic myotomy (Z-POEM; submucosal tunneling endoscopic myotomy) for Zenker’s diverticulum (ZD).
Methods This is a retrospective study at a single tertiary care center in India. The Z-POEM technique was performed using principles of submucosal tunneling endoscopy with prior experience from POEM technique for achalasia cardia
Results Sixteen patients (male, 62.5%; mean age, 73.2 ± 5.2 years) were included with a mean Charleson’s comorbidity index of 4.32. The mean size of ZD was 34.8 ± 10.0 mm. The technical success rate was 100%. Clinical success was achieved in 100% (16/16) with a decrease in mean dysphagia score from 2.9 to 0.2 (p <0.0001). The mean procedure time was 47 ± 7.9 minutes and mean length of septotomy was 31.9 ± 9.4 mm. The mean length of hospital stay was 1.2 ± 0.4 days. No major adverse events were noted. Capnomediastinum was noted in two cases on follow-up Gastrografin study after 24 hours (12.5%). This did not merit any treatment. One patient had intraprocedural bleed which was controlled easily. At the 18-month follow-up, two (12.5%) patients reported dysphagia recurrence (Dakkak and Bennett score 1) but did not require repeat intervention.
Conclusion Endoscopic management of ZD using the POEM technique is a promising technique with improved efficacy and safety. However, long-term follow-up is needed to ensure the durability of response.
14 September 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Bizzotto A, Iacopini F, Landi R. et al. Zenker’s diverticulum: exploring treatment options. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 2013; 33: 219
- 2 Ferreira LE, Simmons DT, Baron TH. Zenker’s diverticula: pathophysiology, clinical presentation, and flexible endoscopic management. Dis Esophagus 2008; 21 (01) 1-8
- 3 Bergeron JL, Long JL, Chhetri DK. Dysphagia characteristics in Zenker’s diverticulum. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2013; 148 (02) 223-228
- 4 Siddiq MA, Sood S, Strachan D. Pharyngeal pouch (Zenker’s diverticulum). Postgrad Med J 2001; 77 (910) 506-511
- 5 Herbella FA, Patti MG. Modern pathophysiology and treatment of esophageal diverticula. Langenbecks Arch Surg 2012; 397 (01) 29-35
- 6 van Overbeek JJ. Pathogenesis and methods of treatment of Zenker’s diverticulum. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2003; 112 (07) 583-593
- 7 Law R, Baron TH. Flexible endoscopic approaches and novel therapy for zenker diverticulum. Management of Zenker and Hypopharyngeal Diverticula. Springer 2018; x: 93-100
- 8 Verdonck J, Morton RP. Systematic review on treatment of Zenker’s diverticulum. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2015; 272 (11) 3095-3107
- 9 Case DJ, Baron TH. Flexible endoscopic management of Zenker diverticulum: the mayo clinic experience. Mayo Clinic Proceedings 2010; 85 (08) 719-722
- 10 Yang J, Zeng X, Yuan X. et al. An international study on the use of per-oral endoscopic myotomy (POEM) in the management of esophageal diverticula: the first multicenter D-POEM experience. Multicenter Study 2019; 51 (04) 346-349
- 11 Dakkak M, Bennett JR. A new dysphagia score with objective validation. J Clin Gastroenterol 1992; 14 (02) 99-100
- 12 Charlson ME, Pompei P, Ales KL. et al. A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation. J Chronic Dis 1987; 40: 373-383
- 13 Cotton PB, Eisen GM, Aabakken L. et al. A lexicon for endoscopic adverse events: report of an ASGE workshop. Gastrointest Endosc 2010; 71: 446-454
- 14 Li Q-L, Chen W-F, Zhang X-C. et al. Submucosal tunneling endoscopic septum division: a novel technique for treating Zenker’s diverticulum. Gastroenterology 2016; 151: 1071-1074
- 15 Mou Y, Zeng H, Wang Q. et al. Giant mid-esophageal diverticula successfully treated by per-oral endoscopic myotomy. Surg Endosc 2016; 30: 335-338
- 16 Demeter M, Bánovčin Jr. P, Ďuriček M. et al. Peroral endoscopic myotomy in achalasia and large epiphrenic diverticulum. Dig Endosc 2018; 30: 260-262
- 17 Hernández Mondragón OV, Solórzano Pineda MO, Blancas Valencia JM. Zenker’s diverticulum: submucosal tunneling endoscopic septum division (Z-POEM). Dig Endosc 2018; 30 (01) 124
- 18 Maydeo A, Patil GK, Dalal A. Operative technical tricks and 12-month outcomes of diverticular peroral endoscopic myotomy (D-POEM) in patients with symptomatic esophageal diverticula. Endoscopy 2019; 51 (12) 1136-1140
- 19 Yang J, Novak S, Ujiki M. et al. An international study on the use of peroral endoscopic myotomy in the management of Zenker’s diverticulum. Gastrointest Endosc 2020; 91 (01) 163-168
- 20 Brewer Gutierrez OI, Ichkhanian Y, Spadaccini M, Vosoughi K, Repici A, Khashab MA. Zenker’s diverticulum per-oral endoscopic myotomy techniques: changing paradigms. Gastroenterology 2019; 156 (08) 2134-2135
- 21 Huberty V, El Bacha S, Blero D, Le Moine O, Hassid S, Devière J. Endoscopic treatment for Zenker’s diverticulum: long-term results (with video). Gastrointest Endosc 2013; 77 (05) 701-707