Bowel Preparation for Small Bowel Capsule Endoscopy: Is There Still a Role for Polyethylene Glycol?Financial Disclosure The authors have not received any payment or services for any aspect of the submitted work that would constitute a conflict of interest.
Objectives This study aimed to assess the impact of polyethylene glycol (PEG) bowel cleansing on performance characteristics of small bowel capsule endoscopy (SBCE).
Materials and Methods Data from consecutive patients undergoing SBCE in the period before and after the introduction of PEG 2 L bowel cleansing with PEG were collated retrospectively. The indication, diagnostic yield (DY), clinical outcome, small bowel transit time, gastric transit time, and completion rate were recorded for each procedure.
Results Data from 286 patients were analyzed. PEG 2 L was not superior to 12-hour fasting for DY (66 [53%] vs. 76 [47%] patients [p = 0.348]), or DY for significant findings (findings requiring a further intervention or investigation; 29 [23%] vs. 52 [32%] patients [p = 0.090]).There was a trend toward an increased DY for significant findings in patients undergoing investigation for iron-deficiency anemia (IDA) receiving PEG 2 L that just failed to meet statistical significance (13 [31%] and 25 [21%] patients, respectively [p = 0.06]). Transit times and completion rates were unaffected by bowel cleansing.
Conclusion Bowel cleansing with PEG 2 L is not superior to fasting for overall DY in SBCE. PEG 2 L may confer an advantage for the detection of significant lesions in patient with IDA. Further investigation of optimal modes of bowel preparation is indicated.
Keywordsbowel cleansing - bowel preparation - small bowel capsule endoscopy - iron-deficiency anemia
28 August 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Bourreille A, Ignjatovic A, Aabakken L. et al. World Organisation of Digestive Endoscopy (OMED) and the European Crohn’s and Colitis Organisation (ECCO). Role of small-bowel endoscopy in the management of patients with inflammatory bowel disease: an international OMED-ECCO consensus. Endoscopy 2009; 41 (07) 618-637
- 2 Pennazio M, Spada C, Eliakim R. et al. Small-bowel capsule endoscopy and device-assisted enteroscopy for diagnosis and treatment of small-bowel disorders: European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) Clinical Guideline. Endoscopy 2015; 47 (04) 352-376
- 3 Gkolfakis P, Tziatzios G, Dimitriadis GD, Triantafyllou K. Meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials challenging the usefulness of purgative preparation before small-bowel video capsule endoscopy. Endoscopy 2018; 50 (07) 671-683
- 4 Yung DE, Rondonotti E, Sykes C, Pennazio M, Plevris JN, Koulaouzidis A. Systematic review and meta-analysis: is bowel preparation still necessary in small bowel capsule endoscopy?. Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 2017; 11 (10) 979-993
- 5 Wu S, Gao Y-J, Ge Z-Z. Optimal use of polyethylene glycol for preparation of small bowel video capsule endoscopy: a network meta-analysis. Curr Med Res Opin 2017; 33 (06) 1149-1154
- 6 Enns RA, Hookey L, Armstrong D. et al. Clinical practice guidelines for the use of video capsule endoscopy. Gastroenterology 2017; 152 (03) 497-514
- 7 Rondonotti E, Spada C, Adler S. et al. Small-bowel capsule endoscopy and device-assisted enteroscopy for diagnosis and treatment of small-bowel disorders: European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) Technical Review. Endoscopy 2018; 50 (04) 423-446
- 8 Niv Y. Efficiency of bowel preparation for capsule endoscopy examination: a meta-analysis. World J Gastroenterol 2008; 14 (09) 1313-1317
- 9 Rokkas T, Papaxoinis K, Triantafyllou K, Pistiolas D, Ladas SD. Does purgative preparation influence the diagnostic yield of small bowel video capsule endoscopy?: A meta-analysis. Am J Gastroenterol 2009; 104 (01) 219-227
- 10 Kotwal VS, Attar BM, Gupta S, Agarwal R. Should bowel preparation, antifoaming agents, or prokinetics be used before video capsule endoscopy? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2014; 26 (02) 137-145
- 11 Wi J-H, Moon J-S, Choi M-G. et al. Korea Gut Image Study Group. Bowel preparation for capsule endoscopy: a prospective randomized multicenter study. Gut Liver 2009; 3 (03) 180-185
- 12 Hookey L, Louw J, Wiepjes M. et al. Lack of benefit of active preparation compared with a clear fluid-only diet in small-bowel visualization for video capsule endoscopy: results of a randomized, blinded, controlled trial. Gastrointest Endosc 2017; 85 (01) 187-193
- 13 Gralnek IM, Defranchis R, Seidman E, Leighton JA, Legnani P, Lewis BS. Development of a capsule endoscopy scoring index for small bowel mucosal inflammatory change. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2008; 27 (02) 146-154
- 14 Cotter J, Dias de Castro F, Magalhães J, Moreira MJ, Rosa B. Validation of the Lewis score for the evaluation of small-bowel Crohn’s disease activity. Endoscopy 2015; 47 (04) 330-335
- 15 Kharazmi AA, Aslani S, Kristiansen MF, Dahl EE, Berner-Hansen M. Indications and diagnostic yield of small-bowel capsule endoscopy in a real-world setting. BMC Gastroenterol 2020; 20 (01) 177
- 16 Brain J, Schofield J, Gerrish K, et al; Healthcare Quality Improvement Partnership. A guide for clinical audit, research and service review: an educational toolkit designed to help staff differentiate between clinical audit, research and service review activities. Available at: https://www.hqip.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/hqip-guide-for-clinical-audit-research-and-service-review.pdf. Accessed July 18, 2020
- 17 Bowalekar SK. Statistics in medical research–II. Measures of central tendency. J Postgrad Med 1993; 39 (03) 166-173
- 18 Wu S, Zhong L, Zheng P. et al. Low-dose and same day use of polyethylene glycol improves image of video capsule endoscopy: a multi-center randomized clinical trial. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2020; 35 (04) 634-640
- 19 Xavier S, Rosa B, Monteiro S. et al. Bowel preparation for small bowel capsule endoscopy - the later, the better!. Dig Liver Dis 2019; 51 (10) 1388-1391
- 20 Placone N, Bahar R, Mann S. The efficacy of 4 liters of clear liquids for small bowel preparation prior to video capsule endoscopy. Clin Endosc 2020; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.5946/ce.2019.213.
- 21 Catalano C, Companioni RAC, Khankhanian P. et al. Video capsule endoscopy: is bowel preparation necessary?. J Investig Med 2016; 64 (06) 1114-1117
- 22 Spada C, McNamara D, Despott EJ. et al. Performance measures for small-bowel endoscopy: a European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) Quality Improvement Initiative. Endoscopy 2019; 51 (06) 574-598