Effect of Homeopathic Preparations on Lettuce, Parasitized or Not by Meloidogyne enterolobiiFunding Partial funding support was obtained though the crowdfunding platform Catarse (https://www.catarse.me/). Catarse had no interference in any aspect of this work or its publication.
Background There are relatively few scientific works on the use of homeopathy to manage plant pathogens, particularly nematodes. A handful of studies focused on Meloidogyne spp. parasitizing vegetables have brought contradictory results on nematode control and enhancement of plant tolerance to parasitism.
Objective Our goal was to assess the effect of Cina—a well-known anti-nematode ingredient—on Meloidogyne enterolobii parasitizing lettuce.
Methods Cina was applied daily on nematode-inoculated plants, from the seedling stage until harvest. We tested an evenly spaced range of Hahnemannian concentrations (c), which were applied though irrigation with a constant dose of the ingredient. Several absolute and relative controls were employed to allow the assessment of the effect of Cina on nematode reproduction and lettuce growth.
Results Cina affected growth of non-parasitized plants, both positively and negatively; this effect was modulated by the c applied and the thermal stress suffered by the plants in one of the assays. The effect of Cina on the growth of nematode-parasitized plants was neutral or negative. Cina reduced nematode reproduction by 25–36%.
Conclusion Based on the moderate negative effect of Cina on M. enterolobii reproduction, it seems this ingredient may be useful as a complementary strategy for Meloidogyne control. But Cina did not enhance the tolerance of lettuce to Meloidogyne spp.
• Cina affected growth of non-parasitized plants, both positively and negatively.
• The effect of Cina on plant growth was modulated by the c applied and the thermal stress suffered by the plants.
• The effect of Cina on nematode-parasitized plants was neutral to negative.
• Cina reduced nematode reproduction by 25 to 36%.
Received: 16 April 2020
Accepted: 17 June 2020
24 December 2020 (online)
© 2020. Faculty of Homeopathy. This article is published by Thieme.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Betti L, Trebbi G, Nani D. et al. Models with plants, microorganisms and viruses for basic research in homeopathy. In: Bonamim LV. ed. Signals and Images. Dordrecht: Springer; 2008: 97-111
- 2 Betti L, Trebbi G, Majewsky V. et al. Use of homeopathic preparations in phytopathological models and in field trials: a critical review. Homeopathy 2009; 98: 244-266
- 3 MacCarter J. Molecular approaches toward resistance to plant-parasitic nematodes. In: Howard Berg R, Taylor CG. eds. Cell Biology of Plant Nematode Parasitism. Plant Cell Monographs. Dordrecht: Springer; 2008: 239-267
- 4 Sukul NC, Ghosh S, Sukul A, Sinhababu SP. Amelioration of root-knot disease of lady's finger plants by potentized Cina and Santonin . Homeopathy 2006; 95: 144-147
- 5 Datta SC. Effects of Cina on root-knot disease of mulberry. Homeopathy 2006; 95: 98-102
- 6 Hanif A, Dawar S. Application of homeopathic medicines in addition with synthetic chemicals in the control of root rot and root knot pathogens and on the growth of crop plants. Int J Biol Biotechnol 2018; 15: 285-300
- 7 Hanif A, Dawar S. Effect of homeopathic nematicide pellets on plant-nematode interaction under controlled conditions. Pak J Bot 2019; 51: 367-375
- 8 Hanif A, Dawar S. Use of homeopathic pellets and globules diffusates against root rot and root knot pathogens on the growth of crop plants. In: Noor MA. ed. Research and Development in Agricultural Sciences, Vol. 1. Hooghly: Book Publisher International; 2020: 1-46
- 9 Swarowsky RA, Stangarlin JR, Kuhn OJ. et al. Influence of high dilutions of cina for the control of Meloidogyne incognita in tomato plants. Am J Plant Sci 2014; 5: 3695-3701
- 10 Dias MH, Barbosa JA, Peters FF. et al. Controle alternativo de Meloidogyne incognitaem tomateiro. Sci Agrár Parana 2016; 15: 421-426
- 11 Mioranza TM, Stangarlin JR, Müller MA. et al. Control of Meloidogyne incognita in tomato plants with highly diluted solutions of Thuya occidentalis and their effects on plant growth and defense metabolism. Semin Cienc Agrar 2017; 38: 2187-2220
- 12 Molinari S. Natural genetic and induced plant resistance, as a control strategy to plant-parasitic nematodes alternative to pesticides. Plant Cell Rep 2011; 30: 311-323
- 13 Perris RN, Moens M. Introduction to plant-parasitic nematodes—modes of parasitism. In: Jones J, Gheysen G, Fenoll C. eds. Genomics and Molecular Genetics of Plant-Nematode Interactions. Dordrecht: Springer; 2011: 3-20
- 14 Baumgartner S, Heusser P, Thurneysen S. Methodological standards and problems in preclinical homoeopathic potency research. Forsch Komplement Armed 1998; 5: 27-32
- 15 Baumgartner S. The state of basic research on homeopathy. In: Witt C, Albrecht H. eds. New Directions in Homeopathy Research—Advice from an Interdisciplinary Conference. Essen, Germany: KVC-Verlag; 2009: 107-130
- 16 Coolen WA, D'Herde CJ. A Method for the Quantitative Extraction of Nematodes from Plant Tissue. Ghent: State Nematology and Entomology Research Station; 1972
- 17 Agência Nacional de Vigilância Sanitária. Farmacopéia Homeopática Brasileira, 3rd ed. Brasília: 2011. . Available at: http://portal.anvisa.gov.br/documents/33832/259147/3a_edicao.pdf/cb9d5888-6b7c-447b-be3c-af51aaae7ea8
- 18 Hicks CB, Simmons JA. Multiple egg harvests from Meloidogyne-infested tomato root systems. J Nematol 2003; 35: 331
- 19 Miranda GB, Souza RM, Viana AP. Assessment of methods and criteria for screening Psidium spp. for resistance to Meloidogyne enterolobii . Nematol Bras 2010; 34: 211-219
- 20 O’Neill ME, Mathews KL. A weighted least squares approach to levene’s test of homogeneity of variance. Aust NZ J Stat 2000; 42: 81-100
- 21 Graybill FA, Iyer HK. Regression Analysis: Concepts and Applications. Belmont: Duxbury Press; 1994
- 22 Gotelli NJ, Ellison AM. Princípios de Estatística em Ecologia. Porto Alegre: Editora Artmed; 2011
- 23 Diamante MS, Seabra Júnior S, Inagaki AM. et al. Produção e resistência ao pendoamento de alfaces tipo lisa cultivadas sob diferentes ambientes. Rev Ciência Agron 2013; 44: 133-140
- 24 Majewsky V, Arlt S, Shah D. et al. Use of homeopathic preparations in experimental studies with healthy plants. Homeopathy 2009; 98: 228-243
- 25 Majewsky V, Scherr C, Schneider C, Arlt SP, Baumgartner S. Reproducibility of the effects of homeopathically potentised Argentum nitricum on the growth of Lemna gibba L. in a randomised and blinded bioassay. Homeopathy 2017; 106: 145-154
- 26 von Ammon K, Baumgartner S, Behnke J. et al. The current state of homeopathic research. Kothen: Scientific Society for Homeopathy; 2016
- 27 Perry RN, Moens M, Starr JL. Root-Knot Nematodes. Wallingford: CABI; 2010