Subscribe to RSS
Homeopathic Treatment of Pododermatitis in Magellanic Penguins (Spheniscus magellanicus)
Background Problems with the feet are common in penguins, with a particular predisposition to pododermatitis. This condition usually occurs due to the changes in normal activity that result from being held captive, but its precise pathogenesis is still undetermined.
Methods/Patients This veterinary case study reports the use of oral homeopathic treatment on acute and chronic pododermatitis in five Magellanic penguins in a zoological park setting. During treatment, the patients remained in the penguins' living area, and the effect of the treatment on the progression of their lesions was assessed visually once weekly. The treatment consisted of a combination of Arnica montana and Calcarea carbonica.
Results After treatment, the appearance of the lesions had noticeably improved: in the majority of penguins there was no longer evidence of infection or edema in the feet. The rate of recovery depended on the initial severity of the lesion. Those penguins that still showed signs of infection nevertheless exhibited a clear diminution of the size and thickness of the lesions. Homeopathic treatment did not cause any side effects.
Conclusion Homeopathy offers a useful treatment option for pododermatitis in captive penguins, with easy administration and without side effects.
Received: 25 February 2020
Accepted: 26 June 2020
14 December 2020 (online)
© 2020. Faculty of Homeopathy. This article is published by Thieme.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Fowler ME. Biology, Medicine and Surgery of South American Wild Animals. 1st ed.. Iowa: Iowa State University Press; 2001
- 2 Hocking PM, Mayne RK, Else RW, French NA, Gatcliffe J. Standard European footpad dermatitis scoring system for use in turkey processing plants. Worlds Poult Sci J 2008; 64: 323-328
- 3 American Zoo and Aquarium Association. Penguin (Spheniscidae) Care Manual. Silver Spring, MD: Penguin Taxonomy Advisory Group; 2005
- 4 Cubas ZS. Order Sphenisciformes (Penguins) biology, captive management, and medicine. In: Fowler GS, Fowler ME. eds. Biology, Medicine and Surgery of South American Wild Animals. 1st ed.. Iowa: Iowa State University Press/Ames; 2001: 53
- 5 Girling S. Veterinary nursing of exotic species. J Wildl Dis 2008; 44: 1059-1060
- 6 Reisfeld L, Barbirato M, Ippolito L. et al. Reducing bumblefoot lesions in a group of captive Magellanic penguins (Spheniscus magellanicus) with the use of environmental enrichment. Pesqui Vet Bras 2013; 33: 791-795
- 7 Cooper JE. Birds of Prey: Health and Disease. 3rd ed.. UK: Blackwell; 2002
- 8 Harcourt BN. Bumblefoot. In: Samour J. ed. Avian Medicine. 3rd ed.. London: Mosby-Harcourt; 2000: 121-131
- 9 van Haselen RA. Homeopathic clinical case reports: development of a supplement (HOM-CASE) to the CARE clinical case reporting guideline. Complement Ther Med 2016; 25: 78-85
- 10 Jacob SW, Torre J. Dimethyl Sulfoxide (DMSO) in Trauma and Disease. 1st ed.. Florida: CRC Press; 2004
- 11 Carpenter JW, Mashima TY, Rupiper DJ. Exotic Animal Formulary. 2nd ed.. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders; 2001
- 12 Cubas ZS, Silva JCR, Dias JLC. Tratado de Animais Selvagens-Medicina Veterinária. Vol.1. 1st ed.. São Paulo: Roca; 2014
- 13 Ritchie BW, Harrison GJ, Harrison LR. Avian Medicine: Principles and Application. 1st ed.. Florida: Wingers Publishing; 1994: 950-982
- 14 Coelho CdP, Motta PD, Petrillo M. et al. Homeopathic medicine Cantharis modulates uropathogenic E. coli (UPEC)-induced cystitis in susceptible mice. Cytokine 2017; 92: 103-109
- 15 Passeti TA, Bissoli LR, Macedo AP, Libame RB, Diniz S, Waisse S. Action of antibiotic oxacillin on in vitro growth of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) previously treated with homeopathic medicines. Homeopathy 2017; 106: 27-31
- 16 Demarque D. Homeopatia: Medicina de Base Experimental. Tradução de Edméa Marturano Villela e Izao Carneiro Soares. 2nd ed.. Ribeirão Preto: Museu de Homeopatia Abrahão Brickmann; 2002
- 17 Torro AR. Homeopatia Veterinária: Semiologia, Materia Médica e Psicossomática. 1st ed.. São Paulo: Typus Editora e Distribuidora; 1999
- 18 Lathoud JA. Estudos de Materia Médica Homeopática. 3rd ed.. São Paulo: Organon; 2017