Oncoplastic Approach to Giant Benign Breast Tumors Presenting as Unilateral MacromastiaDisclosure No financial disclosure to be made by the author.
Benign breast tumors attaining large size constitute an important cause of unilateral macromastia. Their usual treatment involves enucleation or excision with a margin based on pathology and waiting for spontaneous retraction of skin envelope. In very large tumors, this will leave the residual breast deflated and unaesthetic, with spontaneous skin retraction giving unpredictable results. Application of the principles of oncoplastic surgery are helpful in this situation. Here, we present two cases of benign giant tumors—a giant fibroadenoma and a giant lipoma—managed by reduction mammaplasty approach to restore the breast symmetry and aesthetics.
26 August 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Ramírez-Montaño L, Vargas-Tellez E, Dajer-Fadel WL, Espinosa Maceda S. Giant lipoma of the breast. Arch Plast Surg 2013; 40 (03) 244-246
- 2 Sharma S, Rana BP. Giant fibroadenoma of breast: a diagnostic dilemma in a middle aged woman. Adv Cytol Pathol 2017; 2 (04) 109-112
- 3 Sklair-Levy M, Sella T, Alweiss T, Craciun I, Libson E, Mally B. Incidence and management of complex fibroadenomas. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2008; 190 (01) 214-218
- 4 Dupont WD, Page DLPF, Parl FF. et al. Long-term risk of breast cancer in women with fibroadenoma. N Engl J Med 1994; 331 (01) 10-15
- 5 Chirappapha P, Lertsithichai P, Sukarayothin T, Leesombatpaiboon M, Supsamutchai C, Kongdan Y. Oncoplastic techniques in breast surgery for special therapeutic problems. Gland Surg 2016; 5 (01) 75-82
- 6 Chepla KJ, Armijo BS, Ponsky TA, Soltanian HT. Benefits of immediate dermoglandular preserving reconstruction following giant fibroadenoma excision in two patients. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2011; 64 (09) e244-e247
- 7 Rose M, Svensson H. The concept of oncoplastic breast surgery applied in surgery for a giant fibroadenoma. Case Reports Clin Med 2014; 3 (April) 207-210
- 8 Richardson H, Ma G. The Goldilocks mastectomy. Int J Surg 2012; 10 (09) 522-526
- 9 Schwartz JC. Goldilocks mastectomy: a safe bridge to implant-based breast reconstruction in the morbidly obese. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open 2017; 5 (06) e1398