Efficacy of Homoeopathy in Managing Respiratory Infections beyond Doubt!—A Narrative Review
Background Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) or severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection is accountable for significant mortality worldwide. This virus is primarily infecting the respiratory tract and resulting in SARS. There is no precise treatment available till today. Thus, it is important to find out the alternative approach which can reduce the burden of disease.
Objective The aim of this review is to summarise and appraise the findings of various studies on respiratory infections in homoeopathy.
Methods A comprehensive search of the articles published during the period from 1 January 2000 to 15 June 2020 on homoeopathy and respiratory infections was carried out. Major electronic medical databases such as PubMed, Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, CORE-Hom and CAM-QUEST were used for the literature search.
Result From the literature search 46 studies congregated out of which 9 were systematic reviews, 18 randomised contolled trials, 1 controlled clinical trial, 13 comparative cohorts, 3 single-arm cohort observational studies, 1 case series and 1 case report. The results of this review are encouraging. Homeopathic medications have a positive effect in reducing the number of attacks of respiratory infections, less antibiotic usage, tolerability and good compliance as compared to conventional treatment. Complex homeopathic medicine showed a promising role in combating respiratory infections. Homeopathy has shown an important role as adjuvant therapy.
Conclusion The findings of this review seem to suggest a definite role of homeopathy beyond placebo in the treatment of various conditions of respiratory infections. Applying homeopathy as an adjunctive treatment in COVID-19 cases can be cost-effective, feasible and safe. Owing to the heterogeneity in trials, independent replications and further appraisal with rigorous designs are warranted.
Keywordsadd-on homoeopathy - classical homeopathy - complex homeopathic medicine - compliance - cost-effective - COVID-19 - respiratory tract infections - SARS-CoV-2
Financial Support and Sponsorship
A.K.D. was involved in the concept, design, literature search, data extraction, interpretation and preparation of the article. S.S. was responsible for literature search data collection and interpretation and S.S. reviewed and edited the final manuscript. All the authors edited, reviewed and approved the final article.
15 December 2020 (online)
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
- 1 Zhu N, Zhang D, Wang W. et al; China Novel Coronavirus Investigating and Research Team. A novel coronavirus from patients with pneumonia in China, 2019. N Engl J Med 2020; 382 (08) 727-733
- 2 WHO. Coronavirus Disease (COVID-2019) Situation Reports. 2020 . Accessed 25 June 2020 from: https://covid19.who.int/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6575BRCQARIsAMp-ksNJ2ZfgLcmvKO27JayHR70lsj9Ng0_kxpmP1d_90DPfvzbywT4_i4caAgf4EALw_wcB
- 3 Jaimes JA, Millet JK, Stout AE, André NM, Whittaker GR. A tale of two viruses: the distinct spike glycoproteins of feline coronaviruses. Viruses 2020; 12 (01) 83 DOI: 10.3390/v12010083.
- 4 Cotton M, Innes S, Jaspan H, Madide A, Rabie H. Management of upper respiratory tract infections in children. S Afr Fam Pract (2004) 2008; 50 (02) 6-12
- 5 Mahashur A. Management of lower respiratory tract infection in outpatient settings: focus on clarithromycin. Lung India 2018; 35 (02) 143-149
- 6 van Riel D, Munster VJ, de Wit E. et al. H5N1 virus attachment to lower respiratory tract. Science 2006; 312 (5772): 399 DOI: 10.1126/science.1125548.
- 7 GBD 2013 Mortality and Causes of Death Collaborators. Global, regional, and national age-sex specific all-cause and cause-specific mortality for 240 causes of death, 1990–2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. Lancet 2015; 9963: 117-171
- 8 Beule A. Epidemiology of chronic rhinosinusitis, selected risk factors, comorbidities, and economic burden. GMS Curr Top Otorhinolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2015; 14: Doc11 DOI: 10.3205/cto000126.
- 9 Puig-Barberà J, Burtseva E, Yu H. et al; GIHSN. Influenza epidemiology and influenza vaccine effectiveness during the 2014-2015 season: annual report from the Global Influenza Hospital Surveillance Network. BMC Public Health 2016; 16 (Suppl. 01) 757
- 10 Hui DS, , I Azhar E, Madani TA. et al. The continuing 2019-nCoV epidemic threat of novel coronaviruses to global health - the latest 2019 novel coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan, China. Int J Infect Dis 2020; 91: 264-266
- 11 Ali I, Alharbi OML. COVID-19: disease, management, treatment, and social impact. Sci Total Environ 2020; 728: 138861 DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.138861.
- 12 Chu CM, Cheng VCC, Hung IFN. et al; HKU/UCH SARS Study Group. Role of lopinavir/ritonavir in the treatment of SARS: initial virological and clinical findings. Thorax 2004; 59 (03) 252-256
- 13 Şimşek Yavuz S, Ünal S. Antiviral treatment of COVID-19. Turk J Med Sci 2020; 50 (SI-01): 611-619
- 14 Selvaraj V, Dapaah-Afriyie K, Finn A, Flanigan TP. Short-term dexamethasone in Sars-CoV-2 patients. R I Med J (2013) 2020; 103 (06) 39-43
- 15 Lee-Treweek G, Heller T, MacQueen H, Stone J, Spurr S. Complementary and Alternative Medicine: Structures and Safeguards. New York: Routledge; 2006
- 16 Hawke K, van Driel ML, Buffington BJ, McGuire TM, King D. Homeopathic medicinal products for preventing and treating acute respiratory tract infections in children. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2018; 9 (09) CD005974 DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD005974.pub5.
- 17 Jin AJ, Chin CJ. Complementary and alternative medicine in chronic rhinosinusitis: a systematic review and qualitative analysis. Am J Rhinol Allergy 2019; 33 (02) 194-202
- 18 Fixsen A. Homeopathy in the age of antimicrobial resistance: is it a viable treatment for upper respiratory tract infections?. Homeopathy 2018; 107 (02) 99-114
- 19 Mathie RT, Frye J, Fisher P. Homeopathic Oscillococcinum® for preventing and treating influenza and influenza-like illness. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2015; 1 (01) CD001957 DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD001957.pub6.
- 20 Marrari LA, Terzan L, Chaufferin G. Oscillococcinum for influenza treatment. Ann Ist Super Sanita 2012; 48 (01) 105-109
- 21 Bellavite P, Marzotto M, Chirumbolo S, Conforti A. Advances in homeopathy and immunology: a review of clinical research. Front Biosci (Schol Ed) 2011; 3: 1363-1389
- 22 Ernst E. Homeopathy: what does the “best” evidence tell us?. Med J Aust 2010; 192 (08) 458-460
- 23 Altunç U, Pittler MH, Ernst E. Homeopathy for childhood and adolescence ailments: systematic review of randomized clinical trials. Mayo Clin Proc 2007; 82 (01) 69-75
- 24 van der Wouden JC, Bueving HJ, Poole P. Preventing influenza: an overview of systematic reviews. Respir Med 2005; 99 (11) 1341-1349
- 25 Jacobs J, Taylor JA. A randomized controlled trial of a homeopathic syrup in the treatment of cold symptoms in young children. Complement Ther Med 2016; 29: 229-234
- 26 van Haselen R, Thinesse-Mallwitz M, Maidannyk V. et al. The effectiveness and safety of a homeopathic medicinal product in pediatric upper respiratory tract infections with fever: a randomized controlled trial. Glob Pediatr Health 2016; 3: X16654851 DOI: 10.1177/2333794 × 16654851.
- 27 Jong MC, Buskin SL, Ilyenko L. et al. Effectiveness, safety and tolerability of a complex homeopathic medicinal product in the prevention of recurrent acute upper respiratory tract infections in children: a multicenter, open, comparative, randomized, controlled clinical trial. Multidiscip Respir Med 2016; 11: 19
- 28 Siqueira CM, Homsani F, da Veiga VF. et al. Homeopathic medicines for prevention of influenza and acute respiratory tract infections in children: blind, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Homeopathy 2016; 105 (01) 71-77
- 29 Thinesse-Mallwitz M, Maydannik V, Keller T, Klement P. A homeopathic combination preparation in the treatment of feverish upper respiratory tract infections: an international randomized controlled trial. Forsch Komplement Med 2015; 22 (03) 163-170
- 30 Zanasi A, Mazzolini M, Tursi F, Morselli-Labate AM, Paccapelo A, Lecchi M. Homeopathic medicine for acute cough in upper respiratory tract infections and acute bronchitis: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Pulm Pharmacol Ther 2014; 27 (01) 102-108
- 31 Bernstein JA, Davis BP, Picard JK, Cooper JP, Zheng S, Levin LS. A randomized, double-blind, parallel trial comparing capsaicin nasal spray with placebo in subjects with a significant component of nonallergic rhinitis. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2011; 107 (02) 171-178
- 32 Steinsbekk A, Lewith G, Fønnebø V, Bentzen N. An exploratory study of the contextual effect of homeopathic care. A randomised controlled trial of homeopathic care vs. self-prescribed homeopathic medicine in the prevention of upper respiratory tract infections in children. Prev Med 2007; 45 (04) 274-279 , discussion 280–281
- 33 Steinsbekk A, Bentzen N, Fønnebø V, Lewith G. Self treatment with one of three self selected, ultramolecular homeopathic medicines for the prevention of upper respiratory tract infections in children. A double-blind randomized placebo controlled trial. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2005; 59 (04) 447-455
- 34 Steinsbekk A, Fønnebø V, Lewith G, Bentzen N. Homeopathic care for the prevention of upper respiratory tract infections in children: a pragmatic, randomised, controlled trial comparing individualised homeopathic care and waiting-list controls. Complement Ther Med 2005; 13 (04) 231-238
- 35 Kneis KC, Gandjour A. Economic evaluation of Sinfrontal in the treatment of acute maxillary sinusitis in adults. Appl Health Econ Health Policy 2009; 7 (03) 181-191
- 36 Zabolotnyi DI, Kneis KC, Richardson A. et al. Efficacy of a complex homeopathic medication (Sinfrontal) in patients with acute maxillary sinusitis: a prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter clinical trial. Explore (NY) 2007; 3 (02) 98-109
- 37 Voß HW, Michalsen A, Brünjes R. Efficacy and tolerability of a complex homeopathic drug in children suffering from dry cough-a double-blind, placebo-controlled, clinical trial. Drug Res (Stuttg) 2018; 68 (08) 444-449
- 38 Malapane E, Solomon EM, Pellow J. Efficacy of a homeopathic complex on acute viral tonsillitis. J Altern Complement Med 2014; 20 (11) 868-873
- 39 Palm J, Kishchuk VV, Ulied À. et al; TocTo Research Group. Effectiveness of an add-on treatment with the homeopathic medication SilAtro-5-90 in recurrent tonsillitis: an international, pragmatic, randomized, controlled clinical trial. Complement Ther Clin Pract 2017; 28: 181-191
- 40 Friese K-H, Feuchter U, Lüdtke R, Moeller H. Results of a randomised prospective double-blind clinical trial on the homeopathic treatment of adenoid vegetations. Eur J Gen Pract 2001; 7 (02) 48-54
- 41 Chand KS, Manchanda RK, Mittal R, Batra S, Banavaliker JN, De I. Homeopathic treatment in addition to standard care in multi drug resistant pulmonary tuberculosis: a randomized, double blind, placebo controlled clinical trial. Homeopathy 2014; 103 (02) 97-107 [published correction appears in Homeopathy. 2015 Jul;104(3):163]
- 42 Frass M, Dielacher C, Linkesch M. et al. Influence of potassium dichromate on tracheal secretions in critically ill patients. Chest 2005; 127 (03) 936-941
- 43 Weber U, Luedtke R, Friese KH, Fischer I, Moeller H. A non-randomised pilot study to compare complementary and conventional treatments of acute sinusitis. Forsch Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd 2002; 9 (02) 99-104
- 44 Conde Diez S, Viejo Casas A, Garcia Rivero JL, Lopez Caro JC, Ortiz Portal F, Diaz Saez G. Impact of a homeopathic medication on upper respiratory tract infections in COPD patients: results of an observational, prospective study (EPOXILO). Respir Med 2019; 146: 96-105
- 45 Danno K, Cognet-Dementhon B, Thevenard G, Duru G, Allaert FA, Bordet MF. Effectiveness of homeopathic medicine associated with allopathic medicine in the outpatient management of influenza-like illnesses or ear, nose, and throat disorders by pharmacists. J Manag Care Pharm 2013; 19 (08) 631-641
- 46 Vincent S, Demonceaux A, Deswarte D, Scimeca D, Bordet MF. Management of influenza-like illness by homeopathic and allopathic general practitioners in France during the 2009-2010 influenza season. J Altern Complement Med 2013; 19 (02) 146-152
- 47 Grimaldi-Bensouda L, Bégaud B, Rossignol M. et al. Management of upper respiratory tract infections by different medical practices, including homeopathy, and consumption of antibiotics in primary care: the EPI3 cohort study in France 2007-2008. PLoS One 2014; 9 (03) e89990
- 48 Haidvogl M, Riley DS, Heger M. et al. Homeopathic and conventional treatment for acute respiratory and ear complaints: a comparative study on outcome in the primary care setting. BMC Complement Altern Med 2007; 7: 7
- 49 Riley D, Fischer M, Singh B, Haidvogl M, Heger M. Homeopathy and conventional medicine: an outcomes study comparing effectiveness in a primary care setting. J Altern Complement Med 2001; 7 (02) 149-159
- 50 Trichard M, Chaufferin G, Nicoloyannis N. Pharmacoeconomic comparison between homeopathic and antibiotic treatment strategies in recurrent acute rhinopharyngitis in children. Homeopathy 2005; 94 (01) 3-9
- 51 Rossi E, Crudeli L, Endrizzi C, Garibaldi D. Cost-benefit evaluation of homeopathic versus conventional therapy in respiratory diseases. Homeopathy 2009; 98 (01) 2-10
- 52 Zanasi A, Cazzato S, Mazzolini M. et al. Does additional antimicrobial treatment have a better effect on URTI cough resolution than homeopathic symptomatic therapy alone? A real-life preliminary observational study in a pediatric population. Multidiscip Respir Med 2015; 10 (01) 25
- 53 Schmiedel V, Klein P. A complex homeopathic preparation for the symptomatic treatment of upper respiratory infections associated with the common cold: an observational study. Explore (NY) 2006; 2 (02) 109-114
- 54 Derasse M, Klein P, Weiser M. The effects of a complex homeopathic medicine compared with acetaminophen in the symptomatic treatment of acute febrile infections in children: an observational study. Explore (NY) 2005; 1 (01) 33-39
- 55 Rabe A, Weiser M, Klein P. Effectiveness and tolerability of a homoeopathic remedy compared with conventional therapy for mild viral infections. Int J Clin Pract 2004; 58 (09) 827-832
- 56 Beghi GM, Morselli-Labate AM. Does homeopathic medicine have a preventive effect on respiratory tract infections? A real life observational study. Multidiscip Respir Med 2016; 11: 12
- 57 Michalsen A, Uehleke B, Stange R. Safety and compliance of a complex homeopathic drug (Contramutan N Saft) in the treatment of acute respiratory tract infections: a large observational (non-interventional) study in children and adults focussing on homeopathy specific adverse reactions versus adverse drug reactions. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 2015; 72 (02) 179-184
- 58 Mathie RT, Baitson ES, Frye J, Nayak C, Manchanda RK, Fisher P. Homeopathic treatment of patients with influenza-like illness during the 2009 A/H1N1 influenza pandemic in India. Homeopathy 2013; 102 (03) 187-192
- 59 Nayak C, Singh V, Singh VP. et al. Homeopathy in chronic sinusitis: a prospective multi-centric observational study. Homeopathy 2012; 101 (02) 84-91
- 60 Ramchandani NM. Homoeopathic treatment of upper respiratory tract infections in children: evaluation of thirty case series. Complement Ther Clin Pract 2010; 16 (02) 101-108
- 61 Tsintzas D, Vithoulkas G. Treatment of postoperative sore throat with the aid of the homeopathic remedy Arnica montana: a report of two cases. J Evid Based Complementary Altern Med 2017; 22 (04) 926-928
- 62 Jacobs J. Homeopathic prevention and management of epidemic diseases. Homeopathy 2018; 107 (03) 157-160
- 63 Press Information Bureau, Government of India. Advisory for Corona virus. Accessed 31 January 2020 from: https://pib.gov.in/pressreleasepage.aspx?prid=1600895
- 64 Valeri A. Symptomatic COVID-19 Positive and Likely Patients Treated by Homeopathic Physicians-An Italian Descriptive Study. [Internet]. Researchgate; 2020 Apr. Accessed 25 June 2020 from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/340631586_Symptomatic_COVID-19_positive_and_likely_patients_treated_by_homeopathic_physicians_-_an_Italian_descriptive_study
- 65 Sankaran R, Kasariyans A. Homeopathy for Coronavirus Covid-19 Infection. Accessed 25 May 2020 from: https://hpathy.com/homeopathy-papers/homeopathy-for-coronavirus-covid-19-infection/
- 66 Mathie RT, Lloyd SM, Legg LA. et al. Randomised placebo-controlled trials of individualised homeopathic treatment: systematic review and meta-analysis. Syst Rev 2014; 3: 142
- 67 Dantas F, Rampes H. Do homeopathic medicines provoke adverse effects? A systematic review. Br Homeopath J 2000; 89 (Suppl. 01) S35-S38