The Facial Shapes in Planning the Treatment with Injectable Fillers
Introduction The facial beauty is not easy to define, yet it is paramount to assess the needs of each patient to propose an appropriate treatment plan that will provide beautification or rejuvenation in a natural-looking fashion.
One of the beauty aspects easily recognized is the face shape, which can give a perception of age, gender, and attractiveness, and reflects the facial anatomical structure. Because addressing the structure of the face is the basis for the aesthetic approach with dermal fillers, we find the identification of the patient’s face shape to be a very good starting point in the facial assessment.
Objective To discuss important aspects of facial beauty, the characteristics of the different facial shapes (oval, heart, round, and angular), and a method of planning the aesthetic treatment with injectable fillers based on the strengths and weaknesses of each morphology of the face, that is called the AB face technique.
Methods In this study, we describe seven clinical cases: two cases each of oval, heart, and round, and one case of angular shape.
Results The evaluation of the face shape can help us define the priorities of the aesthetic approach, determining the areas that need to be restored in the aging face, as well as which areas could be enhanced in the younger patient.
Conclusion This approach can be helpful in proposing the aesthetic treatment plan with injectable fillers to provide beautification, rejuvenation, and enhancement of the facial structure, which may benefit facial contours through aging.
29 August 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Rhee SC, Lee SH. Attractive composite faces of different races. Aesthetic Plast Surg 2010; 34 (06) 800-801
- 2 Goodman GJ. The oval female facial shape- a study in beauty. Dermatol Surg 2015; 41 (12) 1375-1383
- 3 Sands NB, Adamson PA. Global facial beauty: approaching a unified aesthetic ideal. Facial Plast Surg 2014; 30 (02) 93-100
- 4 Braz A, Sakuma T. Atlas de Anatomia e Preenchimento Global da Face. 1ª edição. Guanabara Koogan; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: 2019
- 5 Shamban A. The signature featureTM: a new concept in beauty. J Cosmet Dermatol 2019; 18 (03) 692-699
- 6 Langlois JH, Reggiman LA, Musselman L. What is average and what is not average about attractive faces?. Psicol Sci 1994; 5: 214-220
- 7 Lam SM, Glasgold R, Glasgold M. Analysis of facial aesthetics as applied to injectables. Plast Reconstr Surg 2015; 136 (Suppl. 05) 11S-21S
- 8 de Maio M. Ethnic and gender considerations in the use of facial injectables: male patients. Plast Reconstr Surg 2015; 136 (05) (Suppl) 40S-43S
- 9 Toledo Avelar LE, Cardoso MA, Santos Bordoni L, de Miranda Avelar L, de Miranda Avelar JV. Aging and sexual differences of the human skull. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open 2017; 5 (04) e1297
- 10 Villanueva Sagrado M. Forma y fenótipo facial. Estudios de Antropologia Biológica 2003; 11: 599-616
- 11 Farolch-Prats L, Nome-Chamorro C. Facial countouring by using dermal fillers and botulinum toxin A: a practical approach. Aesthetic Plast Surg 2019; 43 (03) 793-802
- 12 Heydenrych I, Kapoor KM, De Boulle K. et al. A 10-point plan for avoiding hyaluronic acid dermal filler-related complications during facial aesthetic procedures and algorithms for management. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol 2018; 11: 603-611
- 13 Chao YY, Chhabra C, Corduff N. et al. Pan-Asian consensus. Key recommendations for adapting the World Congress of Dermatology Consensus on combination treatment with injectable fillers, toxins and ultrasound devices in Asian patients. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol 2017; 10 (08) 16-27
- 14 Liew S. Ethnic and gender considerations in the use of facial injectables: Asian patients. Plast Reconstr Surg 2015; 136 (Suppl. 05) 22S-27S
- 15 Samizadeh S, Wu W. Ideals of facial beauty amongst the Chinese population: results from a large national survey. Aesthetic Plast Surg 2018; 42 (06) 1540-1550
- 16 Jefferson Y. Skeletal types: key to unraveling the mystery of facial beauty and its biologic significance. J Gen Orthod 1996; 7 (02) 7-25
- 17 Reis SAB, Abrão J, Capelozza Filho L, Claro CAA. Análise facial subjetiva. Rev Dent Press Ortodon Ortop Facial 2006; 11 (05) 159-172