Plastic Surgeons and COVID-19 PandemicSource(s) of Funding None.
The world is suffering from the unprecedented problem of the COVID-19 pandemic. As healthcare professionals, we face the imminent danger of exposure. For Plastic, Reconstructive and Burn surgeons, safety and smooth functioning of day-to-day work during this pandemic is of the utmost priority. However, it is also our responsibility to stop the human-to-human transmission chain and conserve the medical resources for rational use. The disease has spread throughout the country, and with the number of infections increasing day by day, it is very important to adhere to the safety principles. This document aims to provide some insights into the world of plastic, reconstructive and burn surgeons in the time of the COVID-19 outbreak.
20 August 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 WHO. WHO announces COVID-19 outbreak a pandemic. Available at: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/events-as-they-happen. Accessed March 27, 2020
- 2 Coronavirus situation reports. Available at: https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200326-sitrep-66-COVID-19.pdf?sfvrsn=81b94e61_2. Accessed March 27, 2020
- 3 Huang C, Wang Y, Li X. et al. Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China. (published correction appears in Lancet. 2020 Jan 30). Lancet 2020; 395 (10223) 497-506
- 4 Lauer SA, Grantz KH, Bi Q. et al. The incubation period of Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) from publicly reported confirmed cases: estimation and application. Ann Intern Med 2020; 172 (09) 577-582
- 5 Wong J, Goh QY, Tan Z. et al. Preparing for a COVID-19 pandemic: a review of operating room outbreak response measures in a large tertiary hospital in Singapore. Can J Anaesth/Journal Canadien D'anesthésie 2020; 67 (06) 732-745
- 6 Li B, Yang J, Zhao F. et al. Prevalence and impact of cardiovascular metabolic diseases on COVID-19 in China. Clin Res Cardiol 2020; 109 (05) 531-538
- 7 Lai TH, Tang EWH, Chau SKY, Fung KSC, Li KK. Stepping up infection control measures in ophthalmology during the novel coronavirus outbreak: an experience from Hong Kong. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 2020; 258 (05) 1049-1055
- 8 Lui RN, Wong SH, Sánchez-Luna SA. et al. Overview of guidance for endoscopy during the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2020; 35 (05) 749-759
- 9 World Health Organization. Rational Use of Personal Protective Equipment for Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19): Interim Guidance, 27 February 2020. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2020
- 10 CDC. PPE training. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/hcp/ppe-training/index.html. Accessed March 27, 2020
- 11 CDC. Information for healthcare professional. Available at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/healthcare-facilities/index.html. Accessed March 27, 2020
- 12 Infection prevention and control guidance for pandemic coronavirus. Available at: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/893320/COVID-19_Infection_prevention_and_control_guidance_complete.pdf. Accessed March 27, 2020
- 13 Forrester JD, Nassar AK, Maggio PM, Hawn MT. Precautions for operating room team members during the COVID-19 pandemic. J Am Coll Surg 2020; 230 (06) 1098-1101
- 14 van Doremalen N, Bushmaker T, Morris DH. et al. Aerosol and surface stability of SARS-CoV-2 as compared with SARS-CoV-1. N Engl J Med 2020; 382 (16) 1564-1567
- 15 Hsieh TY, Dedhia RD, Chiao W, et al A guide to facial trauma triage and precautions in the COVID-19 pandemic. Facial Plastic Surgery & Aesthetic Medicine 2020; (e-pub ahead of print). doi: https://doi.org/10.1089/fpsam.2020.0185
- 16 Kampf G, Todt D, Pfaender S, Steinmann E. Persistence of coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces and their inactivation with biocidal agents. J Hosp Infect 2020; 104 (03) 246-251
- 17 CDC. Protecting healthcare personnel. available at https://www.cdc.gov/hai/prevent/ppe.html. Accessed March 27, 2020
- 18 Royal College of Surgeons of England. Updated Intercollegiate General Surgery Guidance on COVID-19. Available at: https://www.rcseng.ac.uk/coronavirus/joint-guidance-for-surgeons-v2/. Accessed March 27, 2020
- 19 Lie SA, Wong SW, Wong LT, Wong TGL, Chong SY. Practical considerations for performing regional anesthesia: lessons learned from the COVID-19 pandemic. Can J Anaesth/ Journal Canadien D'anesthésie 2020; 67 (07) 885-892
- 20 ICMR. Revised Strategy for COVID19 testing in India (Version 4). Available at: https://www.icmr.gov.in/cteststrat.html. Accessed June 26, 2020
- 21 Gandhi M, Yokoe DS, Havlir DV, Asymptomatic transmission, the Achilles’ Heel of current strategies to control Covid-19. N Engl J Med 2020 (e-pub ahead of print). doi: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2009758
- 22 American College of Surgeons. COVID-19: Elective Case Triage Guidelines for Surgical Care. Available at: https://www.facs.org/COVID-19/clinical-guidance/elective-surgery. Accessed March 27, 2020
- 23 Ducournau F, Arianni M, Awwad S. et al. COVID-19: Initial experience of an international group of hand surgeons. Hand Surg Rehabil 2020; 39 (03) 159-166
- 24 Barret JP, Chong SJ, Depetris N. et al. Burn center function during the COVID-19 pandemic: An international multi-center report of strategy and experience. Burns 2020; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1016/j.burns.2020.04.003.
- 25 RCSI. Guidelines for microsurgery during the COVID-19 pandemic. Available at: https://www.rcsi.com/dublin/-/media/feature/media/download-document/dublin/covid-19-section/surgical-practice/other-national-clinical-programmes-and-recognised-bodies/irish-microsurgery-special-interest-group-guidelines-for-microsurgery-during-the-covid-19-pandemic.pdf+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=in. Accessed June 26, 2020
- 26 Hongkong Tatler. Cosmetic surgery during the Coronavirus pandemic: is it safe? Available at: https://hk.asiatatler.com/style/cosmetic-surgery-coronavirus-covid. Accessed June 26, 2020
- 27 Thomas P, Baldwin C, Bissett B. et al. Physiotherapy management for COVID-19 in the acute hospital setting: clinical practice recommendations. J Physiother 2020; 66 (02) 73-82
- 28 Central Pollution Control Board. Bio-Medical-Waste guidelines. Available at: https://www.cpcb.nic.in/uploads/Projects/Bio-Medical-Waste/BMW-GUIDELINES-COVID.pdf. Accessed March 27, 2020
- 29 Brewster DJ, Chrimes NC, Do TB, et al Consensus statement: Safe Airway Society principles of airway management and tracheal intubation specific to the COVID-19 adult patient group. Med J Aust 2020 (e-pub ahead of print). doi: https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2020/212/10/consensus-statement-safe-airway-society-principles-airway-management-and</eref
- 30 MOHF W. SOP for reallocation of residents/PG students and nursing students as part of hospital management of COVID. Available at https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/COVID19SOPfordoctorsandnurses.pdf. Accessed March 27, 2020
- 31 Moszkowicz D, Duboc H, Dubertret C, Roux D, Bretagnol F. Daily medical education for confined students during COVID-19 pandemic: A simple videoconference solution. Clin Anat 2020; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1002/ca.23601.
- 32 World Health Organization. Global research on coronavirus disease (COVID-19). Available at: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/global-research-on-novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov. Accessed June 3, 2020