Subscribe to RSS
Gut Microbiota: In Dynamics of Life and Homoeopathy
The Human Microbiome Project (HMP) launched in 2008 by the National Institute of Health (NIH) fascinated microbiologists with discoveries of micro-organisms inside and outside of human beings. Their correlation with health and disease brings a new insight to preventive and therapeutic measures. At present, focus is more on the micro-organisms residing in the gut and various factors capable of altering their composition. The conclusion made by Dr. Edward Bach regarding the ability of homoeopathic potencies to alter bowel flora and its relation with chronic diseases was investigated and experimented way back. The present review attempts to correlate gut microbiota with the art and science of homoeopathy.
b Fecal Microbiota Transplantation (FMT): “Transplanting” stool from a healthy individual to a dis-eased patient, with the idea that the “healthy” microbiota will correct whatever derangement may exist in the ill patient and therefore will alleviate symptoms.
15 December 2020 (online)
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Surana NK, Kasper DL. The human microbiome. In: Kasper DL, Fauci AS, Hauser SL, Longo DL, Jameson JL, Loscalzo J. eds. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. New York: McGraw-Hill Professional Publishing; 2018: 3379
- 2 Young VB. The intestinal microbiota in health and disease. Curr Opin Gastroenterol 2012; 28 (01) 63-69
- 3 Sekirov I, Russell SL, Antunes LC, Finlay BB. Gut microbiota in health and disease. Physiol Rev 2010; 90 (03) 859-904
- 4 Lozupone CA, Stombaugh JI, Gordon JI, Jansson JK, Knight R. Diversity, stability and resilience of the human gut microbiota. Nature 2012; 489 (7415): 220-230
- 5 Blaser MJ. The theory of disappearing microbiota and the epidemics of chronic diseases. Nat Rev Immunol 2017; 17 (08) 461-463
- 6 Conlon MA, Bird AR. The impact of diet and lifestyle on gut microbiota and human health. Nutrients 2014; 7 (01) 17-44
- 7 Cedernaes J, Ramsey KM, Bass J. The role of circadian biology in health and disease. In: Kasper DL, Fauci AS, Hauser SL, Longo DL, Jameson JL, Loscalzo J. eds. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. New York: McGraw-Hill Professional Publishing; 2018: 3504-15
- 8 Turnbaugh PJ, Ley RE, Hamady M, Fraser-Liggett CM, Knight R, Gordon JI. The human microbiome project. Nature 2007; 449 (7164): 804-810
- 9 Carding S, Verbeke K, Vipond DT, Corfe BM, Owen LJ. Dysbiosis of the gut microbiota in disease. Microb Ecol Health Dis 2015; 26 (01) 26191
- 10 Dethlefsen L, Relman DA. Incomplete recovery and individualized responses of the human distal gut microbiota to repeated antibiotic perturbation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2011; 108 (Suppl. 01) 4554-4561
- 11 Cammarota G, Pecere S, Ianiro G, Masucci L, Currò D. Principles of DNA-based gut microbiota assessment and therapeutic efficacy of fecal microbiota transplantation in gastrointestinal diseases. Dig Dis 2016; 34 (03) 279-285
- 12 Paterson J. The role of the bowel flora in chronic disease. Br Homeopath J 1949; 39 (01) 3-26
- 13 Uchiyama-Tanaka Y. Case study of homeopathic bowel nosode remedies for dysbiotic Japanese patients. J Altern Complement Med 2018; 24 (02) 187-192
- 14 Nahar L, Paul S, Chattopadhyay A, Koley M, Saha S. An open-label randomized pragmatic non-inferiority pilot trial to compare the effectiveness of Dysentery compound with individualized homeopathic medicines in irritable bowel syndrome. J Complement Integr Med 2019; 16 (04) 1-13
- 15 Hahnemann S, Dudgeon RE. Organon of the Rational Art of Healing. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers; 2002
- 16 Bach E, Wheeler CE. Chronic Disease: A Working Hypothesis. London: H.K Lewis & Co. Ltd; 1925
- 17 Anderson JR, Carroll I, Azcarate-Peril MA. et al. A preliminary examination of gut microbiota, sleep, and cognitive flexibility in healthy older adults. Sleep Med 2017; 38: 104-107
- 18 Julian OA. Materia Medica of Nosodes with Repertory. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers; 2003
- 19 Hahnemann S. The Chronic Diseases. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers; 2016