Subscribe to RSS
A Rare Complication during Salmonella sp. Infection in a 4-Year-Old Child: Acute Pancreatitis
Objective We aimed to report a rare complication of acute pancreatitis which developed during Salmonella infection.
Methods We report a 4-year-old girl with pancreatitis that occurred after salmonella gastroenteritis.
Discussion Salmonella sp. infections cause serious mortality and morbidity worldwide. Salmonella transmission is mostly fecal oral from contaminated water and foods. Acute pancreatitis expresses the acute inflammatory process of the pancreas. Inflammation of the pancreas associated with bacterial, viral, and fungal agents can lead to acute pancreatitis. There are limited data regarding the frequency of infections leading to pancreatitis. Here, a pediatric case with pancreatitis that occurred after salmonella gastroenteritis is reported.
Conclusion Acute pancreatitis due to S. sp. infection is very rare in children. Pancreatitis should be considered in patients with gastroenteritis with typical abdominal pain.
Received: 20 March 2020
Accepted: 16 June 2020
31 August 2020 (online)
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Werlin SL, Wilscahnski M. Acute pancreatitis. In: Kliegman RM, St Geme JW, Blum NJ, Shah SS. eds. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 21st ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2020: 2074-2078
- 2 Vege SS, Yadav D, Chari ST. Pancreatitis. In: Talley NJ, Locke GR, Saito YA. eds. GI Epidemiology, 1st ed. Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing; 2007
- 3 Gloor B, Müller CA, Worni M, Martignoni ME, Uhl W, Büchler MW. Late mortality in patients with severe acute pancreatitis. Br J Surg 2001; 88 (07) 975-979
- 4 Bula-Rudas FJ, Rathore MH, Maraqa NF. Salmonella infections in childhood. Adv Pediatr 2015; 62 (01) 29-58
- 5 Garg P, Parashar S. Pancreatic abscess due to Salmonella typhi . Postgrad Med J 1992; 68 (798) 294-295
- 6 Parenti DM, Steinberg W, Kang P. Infectious causes of acute pancreatitis. Pancreas 1996; 13 (04) 356-371
- 7 Banks PA, Bollen TL, Dervenis C. et al; Acute Pancreatitis Classification Working Group. Classification of acute pancreatitis–2012: revision of the Atlanta classification and definitions by international consensus. Gut 2013; 62 (01) 102-111
- 8 Makhoul E, Yazbeck C, Zaarour A, Chelala A, Ajami B, Jreige W. Acute pancreatitis and aseptic meningitis: Rare complications of Salmonella paratyphi infection. Arab J Gastroenterol 2015; 16 (01) 29-30
- 9 Hamaguchi H, Okabayashi Y, Yoneda R. et al. A case of acute pancreatitis complicating Salmonella enteritis. Int J Pancreatol 1999; 26 (03) 189-192
- 10 Blank A, Maybody M, Isom-Batz G, Roslin M, Dillon EH. Necrotizing acute pancreatitis induced by Salmonella typhimurium . Dig Dis Sci 2003; 48 (08) 1472-1474
- 11 Pezzilli R, Morselli-Labate AM, Barakat B. et al. Pancreatic involvement in Salmonella infection. JOP 2003; 4 (06) 200-206
- 12 Dean R, Gill D, Buchan D. Salmonella colitis as an unusual cause of elevated serum lipase. Am J Emerg Med 2017; 35 (05) 800.e5-800.e6
- 13 McKinney JS. Salmonella. In: Kliegman RM, St Geme JW, Blum NJ, Shah SS. eds. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 21st ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2020: 1496-1502