Publication Rate and Evidence-Based Evaluation of Abstracts Presented at the Annual Veterinary Orthopedic Society ConferenceFunding None.
Objectives Scientific abstracts are a common method for disseminating new research. There is no information on the publication rate of orthopaedic surgery abstracts presented at the annual Veterinary Orthopedic Society (VOS) Conference. The objectives of this study were to document the publication rate, the publication timeline and the level of evidence (LoE) of abstracts presented at an annual orthopaedic meeting.
Study Design All conference abstracts from the 2001 to 2014 annual VOS meeting were reviewed, and final publication was determined through a comprehensive bibliographic search.
Results Over 14 conferences, 1,112 scientific abstracts were presented with an overall publication rate of 47%. The majority of abstracts had low LoE scores, and those abstracts were published less timely than ones with higher LoE scores. Once presented, most abstracts took 1 year to be submitted and 2 years to be published. Dog (45%) and ex vivo (19%) studies were the most common. Publication occurred most frequently in Veterinary Surgery (40%), Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology (17%) and the American Journal of Veterinary Research (12%).
Conclusion The publication rate for abstracts presented at the annual VOS meeting is lower than those from a more generalized veterinary surgery conference. Publication occurs most frequently in a select group of journals, and the subject matter is limited in scope with a focus on dog and ex vivo studies. Overall, most abstracts presented at VOS contain a lower LoE.
All authors contributed to the conception of study, study design, acquisition of data and data analysis and interpretation. All authors drafted, revised and approved the submitted manuscript.
Received: 28 July 2019
Accepted: 12 May 2020
16 August 2020 (online)
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Stuttgart · New York
- 1 Meyers KE, Lindem MJ, Giuffrida MA. An observational study of abstracts presented at the American College of Veterinary Surgeon Annual Meetings (2001-2008) and their subsequent full-text publication. Vet Surg 2016; 45 (05) 672-678
- 2 Bentley E, Koester M, Bdolah-Abram T, Yair N, Ofri R. Factors affecting publication in peer-reviewed journals of abstracts presented from 2008 to 2012 ACVO meetings. Vet Ophthalmol 2018; 147-152
- 3 Ofri R, Bdolah-Abram T, Yair N. Factors affecting peer-reviewed publication of abstracts presented at meetings of the European College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists (2008-2012). Vet Ophthalmol 2017; 20 (06) 533-538
- 4 Dyson DH, Sparling SC. Delay in final publication following abstract presentation: American College of Veterinary Anesthesiologists annual meeting. J Vet Med Educ 2006; 33 (01) 145-148
- 5 Torres BT, Dover RK, Sapora JA, Sandberg GS, Budsberg SC. Publication rate and evidence-based evaluation of abstracts presented at the American College of Veterinary Surgeon's Annual Meeting. Vet Surg 2016; 45 (05) 679-683
- 6 Wieser M, Braun C, Moens Y. Publication rate of studies presented at veterinary anaesthesia specialty meetings during the years 2003-2008. Vet Anaesth Analg 2016; 43 (02) 118-127
- 7 Group OLoEW. Levels of Evidence (March 2009 Oxford Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine. Available at: http://www.cebm.net/index.aspx?o=1025 . Accessed September 2018
- 8 Schulte TL, Huck K, Osada N. , et al. Publication rate of abstracts presented at the Annual Congress of the Spine Society of Europe (years 2000-2003). Eur Spine J 2012; 21 (10) 2105-2112
- 9 Scherer RW, Langenberg P, von Elm E. Full publication of results initially presented in abstracts. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007; (02) MR000005
- 10 Aragon CL, Budsberg SC. Applications of evidence-based medicine: cranial cruciate ligament injury repair in the dog. Vet Surg 2005; 34 (02) 93-98
- 11 Bergh MS, Sullivan C, Ferrell CL, Troy J, Budsberg SC. Systematic review of surgical treatments for cranial cruciate ligament disease in dogs. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2014; 50 (05) 315-321
- 12 Hohenhaus AE, Kelsey JL, Haddad J. , et al. Canine cutaneous and subcutaneous soft tissue sarcoma: an evidence-based review of case management. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2016; 52 (02) 77-89
- 13 Hu H, Barker A, Harcourt-Brown T, Jeffery N. Systematic review of brain tumor treatment in dogs. J Vet Intern Med 2015; 29 (06) 1456-1463
- 14 Portier K, Ida KK. The ASA physical status classification: what is the evidence for recommending its use in veterinary anesthesia? A systematic review. Front Vet Sci 2018; 5: 204
- 15 Reeves LA, Anderson KM, Luther JK, Torres BT. Treatment of idiopathic chylothorax in dogs and cats: a systematic review. Vet Surg 2020; 49 (01) 70-79
- 16 Tivers MS, Upjohn MM, House AK, Brockman DJ, Lipscomb VJ. Treatment of extrahepatic congenital portosystemic shunts in dogs - what is the evidence base?. J Small Anim Pract 2012; 53 (01) 3-11
- 17 Bhandari M, Devereaux PJ, Guyatt GH. , et al. An observational study of orthopaedic abstracts and subsequent full-text publications. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2002; 84 (04) 615-621
- 18 Donegan DJ, Kim TW, Lee G-C. Publication rates of presentations at an annual meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2010; 468 (05) 1428-1435
- 19 Hamlet WP, Fletcher A, Meals RA. Publication patterns of papers presented at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1997; 79 (08) 1138-1143
- 20 Harris IA, Mourad M, Kadir A, Solomon MJ, Young JM. Publication bias in abstracts presented to the annual meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 2007; 15 (01) 62-66
- 21 Kleweno CP, Bryant WK, Jacir AM, Levine WN, Ahmad CS. Discrepancies and rates of publication in orthopaedic sports medicine abstracts. Am J Sports Med 2008; 36 (10) 1875-1879
- 22 Lloyd EW, Geller JA, Iorio R, Yoon RS, Huo M, Macaulay W. Publication rates of scientific presentations at the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons annual meetings from 1996 to 2001. J Arthroplasty 2006; 21 (06) (Suppl. 02) 2-5
- 23 Murrey DB, Wright RW, Seiler III JG, Day TE, Schwartz HS. Publication rates of abstracts presented at the 1993 annual Academy meeting. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1999; (359) 247-253
- 24 Nguyen V, Tornetta III P, Bkaric M. Orthopaedic Trauma Association. Publication rates for the scientific sessions of the OTA. J Orthop Trauma 1998; 12 (07) 457-459 , discussion 456
- 25 Yoo S, Oh G, Wang JC. Publication rates of presentations made at annual meetings of the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine and the Arthroscopy Association of North America. Am J Orthop 2002; 31 (06) 367-369 , discussion 369