Role of Chest Radiographs during COVID-19 Pandemic
Across the globe, computed tomography is the most widely used imaging modality mentioned in the published literature on the recent COVID-19 pandemic. However, in terms of availability, ease of use, and sanitization of the equipment; chest radiograph is a much more feasible option. However, interpretation of radiographs needs expertise to achieve appropriate diagnostic accuracy. This article will discuss its current role in diagnosis and severity assessment, as well as a systematic approach toward interpretation.
04 July 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 American College of Radiology. ACR Recommendations for the use of Chest Radiography and Computed Tomography (CT) for Suspected COVID-19 Infection | American College of Radiology. Available at: https://www.acr.org/Advocacy-and-Economics/ACR-Position-Statements/Recommendations-for-Chest-Radiography-and-CT-for-Suspected-COVID19-Infection. Accessed June 11, 2020
- 2 BMJ. Lessons from the Frontline of the Covid-19 outbreak - The BMJ. Available at: https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2020/03/20/lessons-from-the-frontline-of-the-covid-19-outbreak/?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=socialnetwork. Accessed June 11, 2020
- 3 Heathcare-in-Europe.com. Imaging the Coronavirus Disease COVID-19. Available at: https://healthcare-ineurope.com/en/news/imaging-the-coronavirus-disease-covid-19.html. Accessed June 11, 2020
- 4 Bhalla AS, Raj V, Mahajan A, et al. Imaging Recommendation by Indian Radiological and Imaging Association (IRIA) and Indian College of Radiology and Imaging (ICRI) for COVID-19. Available at: https://iria.org.in/. Accessed June 11, 2020
- 5 Wong HYF, Lam HYS, Fong AHT. et al. Frequency and distribution of chest radiographic findings in COVID-19 positive patients. Radiology 2019; x: 201160
- 6 Yoon SH, Lee KH, Kim JY. et al. Chest radiographic and CT Findings of the 2019 novel Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): analysis of nine patients treated in Korea. Korean J Radiol 2020; 21 (04) 494-500
- 7 Chen N, Zhou M, Dong X. et al. Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 99 cases of 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a descriptive study. Lancet 2020; 395 (10223) 507-513
- 8 Ng M-Y, Lee EY, Yang J. et al. Imaging profile of the COVID-19 infection: radiologic findings and literature review. Radiol. Cardiothorac. Imaging. 2020; 2: e200034
- 9 Lomoro P, Verde F, Zerboni F. et al. COVID-19 pneumonia manifestations at the admission on chest ultrasound, radiographs, and CT: single-center study and comprehensive radiologic literature review. Eur J Radiol Open 2020; 7: 100231
- 10 Chung M, Bernheim A, Mei X. et al. CT Imaging Features of 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV). Radiology 2020; 295 (01) 202-207
- 11 Jacobi A, Chung M, Bernheim A, Eber C. Portable chest X-ray in coronavirus disease-19 (COVID-19): A pictorial review. Clin Imaging 2020; 64: 35-42
- 12 Salehi S, Abedi A, Balakrishnan S, Gholamrezanezhad A. Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19): a systematic review of imaging findings in 919 patients. Am J Roentgenol 2020; 14: 1-7
- 13 British Society for Thoracic Imaging. Thoracic Imaging in COVID-19 Infection. Guidance for the Reporting Radiologist British Society of Thoracic Imaging. Version 2. Available at: https:/bsti.org.uk/. Accessed June 11, 2020
- 14 Ai T, Yang Z, Hou H. et al. Correlation of Chest CT and RT-PCR Testing in Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in China: A Report of 1014 Cases. Radiology 2020; 200642 (February) 200642
- 15 Fang Y, Zhang H, Xie J. et al. Sensitivity of Chest CT for COVID-19: Comparison to RT-PCR. Radiology 2020; 200432: 200432
- 16 Borghesi A, Maroldi R. COVID-19 outbreak in Italy: experimental chest X-ray scoring system for quantifying and monitoring disease progression. Radiol Med (Torino) 2020; 125 (05) 509-513
- 17 Taylor E, Haven K, Reed P. et al. SHIVERS Investigation Team. A chest radiograph scoring system in patients with severe acute respiratory infection: a validation study. BMC Med Imaging 2015; 15: 61
- 18 Prokop M, van Everdingen W, van Rees Vellinga T. et al. “COVID-19 Standardized Reporting” Working Group of the Dutch Radiological Society. CO-RADS - A categorical CT assessment scheme for patients with suspected COVID-19: definition and evaluation. Radiology 2020; DOI: 10.1148/radiol.2020201473.