Multiorgan Involvement in COVID-19 and Possible Therapies
In late 2019, China reported cases of respiratory illness in humans, which involved a novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (also known as 2019-nCoV). The World Health Organization (WHO) termed the disease COVID-19 (i.e., Coronavirus disease 2019). Most of the morbidity and mortality from COVID-19 is largely due to acute viral pneumonitis that leads to acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). This article will discuss the clinical features of the multiorgan involvement in COVID-19 as well as the management of patients who become critically ill due to COVID-19.
13. Juli 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 World Health Organization. Director-General's remarks at the media briefing on 2019-nCoV on 11 February 2020. Available at: https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-2019-ncov-on-11-february-2020. Accessed June 16, 2020
- 2 Zhou P, Yang XL, Wang XG. et al. A pneumonia outbreak associated with a new coronavirus of probable bat origin. Nature 2020; 579 (7798) 270-273
- 3 Worldometer. COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic. Available at: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/. Accessed April 30, 2020
- 4 WHO-China Joint Mission. Report of the WHO-China Joint Mission on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Available at: https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf. Accessed June 16, 2020
- 5 Grasselli G, Pesenti A, Cecconi M. Critical care utilization for the COVID-19 outbreak in Lombardy, Italy: early experience and forecast during an emergency response. JAMA 2020; 323 (16) 1545-1546
- 6 Remuzzi A, Remuzzi G. COVID-19 and Italy: what next?. Lancet 2020; 395 (10231) 1225-1228
- 7 Zhou F, Yu T, Du R. et al. Clinical course and risk factors for mortality of adult inpatients with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet 2020; 395 (10229) 1054-1062
- 8 Xu Z, Shi L, Wang Y. et al. Pathological findings of COVID-19 associated with acute respiratory distress syndrome. Lancet Respir Med 2020; 8 (04) 420-422
- 9 Gattinoni L, Coppola S, Cressoni M, Busana M, Rossi S, Chiumello D. COVID-19 does not lead to a “typical” acute respiratory distress syndrome. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2020; 201 (10) 1299-1300
- 10 Gattinoni L, Chiumello D, Rossi S. COVID-19 pneumonia: ARDS or not?. Crit Care 2020; 24 (01) 154
- 11 Shi S, Qin M, Shen B. et al. Association of Cardiac Injury With Mortality in Hospitalized Patients With COVID-19 in Wuhan, China. JAMA Cardiol 2020; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1001/jamacardio.2020.0950.
- 12 Hu H, Ma F, Wei X, Fang Y. Coronavirus fulminant myocarditis saved with glucocorticoid and human immunoglobulin. Eur Heart J 2020; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1093/eurheartj/ehaa190.
- 13 Inciardi RM, Lupi L, Zaccone G. et al. Cardiac involvement in a patient with Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). JAMA Cardiol 2020; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1001/jamacardio.2020.1096.
- 14 Ruan Q, Yang K, Wang W, Jiang L, Song J. Clinical predictors of mortality due to COVID-19 based on an analysis of data of 150 patients from Wuhan, China. Intensive Care Med 2020; 46 (05) 846-848
- 15 Wang D, Hu B, Hu C. et al. Clinical characteristics of 138 hospitalized patients with 2019 novel Coronavirus-infected pneumonia in Wuhan, China. JAMA 2020; 323 (11) 1061-1069
- 16 Guo T, Fan Y, Chen M. et al. Cardiovascular implications of fatal outcomes of patients with Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). JAMA Cardiol 2020; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1001/jamacardio.2020.1017.
- 17 Mao L, Jin H, Wang M. et al. Neurologic manifestations of hospitalized patients with Coronavirus disease 2019 in Wuhan, China. JAMA Neurol 2020; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1001/jamaneurol.2020.1127.
- 18 Helms J, Kremer S, Merdji H. et al. Neurologic features in severe SARS-CoV-2 infection. N Engl J Med 2020; 382 (23) 2268-2270
- 19 Toscano G, Palmerini F, Ravaglia S. et al. Guillain-Barré Syndrome associated with SARS-CoV-2. N Engl J Med 2020; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1056/NEJMc2009191.
- 20 Gutiérrez-Ortiz C, Méndez A, Rodrigo-Rey S. et al. Miller Fisher Syndrome and polyneuritis cranialis in COVID-19. Neurology 2020; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000009619.
- 21 Moriguchi T, Harii N, Goto J. et al. A first case of meningitis/encephalitis associated with SARS-Coronavirus-2. Int J Infect Dis 2020; 94: 55-58
- 22 Poyiadji N, Shahin G, Noujaim D, Stone M, Patel S, Griffith B. COVID-19-associated acute hemorrhagic necrotizing encephalopathy: CT and MRI features. Radiology 2020; 201187: 201187
- 23 Zhang C, Shi L, Wang FS. Liver injury in COVID-19: management and challenges. Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol 2020; 5 (05) 428-430
- 24 Xu L, Liu J, Lu M, Yang D, Zheng X. Liver injury during highly pathogenic human coronavirus infections. Liver Int 2020; 40 (05) 998-1004
- 25 Guan WJ, Ni ZY, Hu Y. et al. China Medical Treatment Expert Group for Covid-19. Clinical characteristics of Coronavirus disease 2019 in China. N Engl J Med 2020; 382 (18) 1708-1720
- 26 Ong J, Young BE, Ong S. COVID-19 in gastroenterology: a clinical perspective. Gut 2020; 69 (06) 1144-1145
- 27 Diao B, Wang C, Wang R, et al. Human kidney is a target for novel severe acute respiratory syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection. medRxiv 2020 (e-pub ahead of print)10.1101/2020.03.04.20031120
- 28 Klok FA, Kruip MJHA, van der Meer NJM. et al. Incidence of thrombotic complications in critically ill ICU patients with COVID-19. Thromb Res 2020; 191: 145-147
- 29 Tang N, Li D, Wang X, Sun Z. Abnormal coagulation parameters are associated with poor prognosis in patients with novel coronavirus pneumonia. J Thromb Haemost 2020; 18 (04) 844-847
- 30 Mehta P, McAuley DF, Brown M, Sanchez E, Tattersall RS, Manson JJ. HLH Across Speciality Collaboration, UK. COVID-19: consider cytokine storm syndromes and immunosuppression. Lancet 2020; 395 (10229) 1033-1034
- 31 Wu C, Chen X, Cai Y. et al. Risk factors associated with acute respiratory distress syndrome and death in patients with Coronavirus disease 2019 pneumonia in Wuhan, China. JAMA Intern Med 2020; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2020.0994.
- 32 Ai T, Yang Z, Hou H. et al. Correlation of chest CT and RT-PCR testing in Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in China: a report of 1014 cases. Radiology 2020; 200642: 200642
- 33 Wang W, Xu Y, Gao R. et al. Detection of SARS-CoV-2 in Different Types of Clinical Specimens. JAMA 2020; 323 (18) 1843-1844
- 34 Marini JJ, Gattinoni L. Management of COVID-19 respiratory distress. JAMA 2020; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1001/jama.2020.6825.
- 35 Phua J, Weng L, Ling L. et al. Asian Critical Care Clinical Trials Group. Intensive care management of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19): challenges and recommendations. Lancet Respir Med 2020; 8 (05) 506-517
- 36 Wang M, Cao R, Zhang L. et al. Remdesivir and chloroquine effectively inhibit the recently emerged novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in vitro. Cell Res 2020; 30 (03) 269-271
- 37 Grein J, Ohmagari N, Shin D. et al. Compassionate use of remdesivir for patients with severe Covid-19. N Engl J Med 2020; (e-pub ahead of print DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa2007016.
- 38 Chen Z, Hu, J, Zhang, Z, et al Efficacy of hydroxychloroquine in patients with COVID-19: results of a randomized clinical trial. MedRxiv2020;(e-pub ahead of print. doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.03.22.20040758
- 39 Borba MGS, Val FF, Sampaio VS. et al. Effect of high vs low doses of chloroquine diphosphate as adjunctive therapy for patients hospitalized with severe acute respiratory syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Netw Open 2020; 3 (04) e208857
- 40 Cao B, Wang Y, Wen D. et al. A trial of lopinavir-ritonavir in adults hospitalized with severe Covid-19. N Engl J Med 2020; 382 (19) 1787-1799
- 41 Shen C, Wang Z, Zhao F. et al. Treatment of 5 critically ill patients with COVID-19 with convalescent plasma. JAMA 2020; 323 (16) 1582-1589
- 42 Duan K, Liu B, Li C. et al. Effectiveness of convalescent plasma therapy in severe COVID-19 patients. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2020; 117 (17) 9490-9496
- 43 Brudno JN, Kochenderfer JN. Recent advances in CAR T-cell toxicity: Mechanisms, manifestations and management. Blood Rev 2019; 34: 45-55
- 44 Ma J, Xia P, Zhou Y. et al. Potential effect of blood purification therapy in reducing cytokine storm as a late complication of critically ill COVID-19. Clin Immunol 2020; 214: 108408
- 45 Ronco C, Reis T. Kidney involvement in COVID-19 and rationale for extracorporeal therapies. Nat Rev Nephrol 2020; 16 (06) 308-310