Resection of a Nonampullary Adenoma with the New Gastroduodenal Full-Thickness Resection Device
Introduction Surgical resection of adenomas or subepithelial tumors in the duodenum has a high morbidity compared with endoscopic resection which also has a significant risk of complication. Endoscopic full-thickness resection has shown its feasibility and safety in the colorectum and in the upper gastrointestinal tract.
Patient and Methods We present the new gastroduodenal full-thickness resection device (FTRD) for full-thickness resection in a patient with a recurrent nonlifting adenoma in the nonampullary duodenum.
Results The procedure was successful with R0 resection without major complications. A control gastroscopy showed no recurrence of the adenoma.
Conclusion The gastroduodenal FTRD seems to be a promising new technique for resecting nonlifting adenomas in the nonampullary duodenum.
22 June 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Okada K, Fujisaki J, Kasuga A. et al. Sporadic nonampullary duodenal adenoma in the natural history of duodenal cancer: a study of follow-up surveillance. Am J Gastroenterol 2011; 106 (02) 357-364
- 2 Gaspar JP, Stelow EB, Wang AY. Approach to the endoscopic resection of duodenal lesions. World J Gastroenterol 2016; 22 (02) 600-617
- 3 Aschmoneit-Messer I, Richl J, Pohl J, Ell C, May A. Prospective study of acute complication rates and associated risk factors in endoscopic therapy for duodenal adenomas. Surg Endosc 2015; 29 (07) 1823-1830
- 4 Lim CH, Cho YS. Nonampullary duodenal adenoma: current understanding of its diagnosis, pathogenesis, and clinical management. World J Gastroenterol 2016; 22 (02) 853-861
- 5 Valli PV, Mertens J, Bauerfeind P. Safe and successful resection of difficult GI lesions using a novel single-step full-thickness resection device (FTRD). Surg Endosc 2018; 32 (01) 289-299
- 6 Schmidt A, Beyna T, Schumacher B. et al. Colonoscopic full-thickness resection using an over-the-scope device: a prospective multicentre study in various indications. Gut 2018; 67 (07) 1280-1289
- 7 Schmidt A, Meier B, Cahyadi O, Caca K. Duodenal endoscopic full-thickness resection (with video). Gastrointest Endosc 2015; 82 (04) 728-733
- 8 Bauder M, Schmidt A, Caca K. Endoscopic full-thickness resection of duodenal lesions-a retrospective analysis of 20 FTRD cases. ed European Gastroenterol J 2018; 6 (07) 1015-1021
- 9 Yamasaki Y, Uedo N, Takeuchi Y, Ishihara R, Okada H, Iishi H. Current status of endoscopic resection for superficial nonampullary duodenal epithelial tumors. Digestion 2018; 97 (01) 45-51
- 10 Yamamoto H, Miura Y. Duodenal ESD: conquering difficulties. Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am 2014; 24 (02) 235-244